No politics please
Add Reply
Yazoo
2024-05-22 07:43:22 UTC
Hi all!

This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.

Thank you.
Y.

It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
Sir Tim
2024-05-22 07:56:42 UTC
Post by Yazoo
Hi all!
This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.
Thank you.
Y.
And there was I thinking that, in a world where very few people have even
heard of Usenet, the “Net Police” was a thing of the past.
Sir Tim
Yazoo
2024-05-22 07:59:16 UTC
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Yazoo
Hi all!
This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.
Thank you.
Y.
And there was I thinking that, in a world where very few people have even
heard of Usenet, the “Net Police” was a thing of the past.
We don't need net police, we just need to be polite and respectful.
That's all.

It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
Mark
2024-05-22 08:28:25 UTC
Post by Yazoo
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Yazoo
Hi all!
This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.
Thank you.
Y.
And there was I thinking that, in a world where very few people have even
heard of Usenet, the “Net Police” was a thing of the past.
We don't need net police, we just need to be polite and respectful.
That's all.
I'd add that while I personally don't care if politics are discussed (so
long as they're kept to simple threads I can ignore), Usenet (and the
Internet/Social Media in general) is not the best forum if you actually
want to achieve anything. Even when parties enter into a discussion in
good faith (increasingly rare), at some point it almost always descends
into tribal bickering (cf. any thread on Hamilton or Verstappen). At
that point, the only purpose is to bolster the egos of the participants
because they are no longer trying to listen to the other side or to
fairly judge the merits of a position.

Hey ho. 35 years of using Usenet makes you jaded...or realistic. (Pick
either or both)
Phil Carmody
2024-05-22 09:36:36 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Yazoo
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Yazoo
[...]
Yeah, but we've got the off-season for proper off-topic time wasting.
There's enough politics in F1 that we can gibber about that if we want
stuff directly related to what happens on track, no need to import the
insanities of a bunch of inbreds into the discussion.
Post by Mark
Hey ho. 35 years of using Usenet makes you jaded...or realistic. (Pick
either or both)
Yikes, scary. I guess it was 1990 for me. 2nd year at uni, when I
finally got my hands on the mythical VAX cluster.

However, after sticking with it through thick and thin, I'm pleased to
say I think it's actually improved recently. Mostly due to the googoo
droolers fucking off.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast
-- NotSanguine on SoylentNews, after Eugen Weber in /The Western Tradition/
Dumas Walker
2024-05-21 19:04:00 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
Post by Mark
Hey ho. 35 years of using Usenet makes you jaded...or realistic. (Pick
either or both)
Yikes, scary. I guess it was 1990 for me. 2nd year at uni, when I
finally got my hands on the mythical VAX cluster.
Wow, that is close to when I first got on Usenet. I would have been at uni
in 1990 but they didn't have Usenet available for students. We had a local
dial-up shell-account ISP that did, though. They also offered UUCP feeds,
so I soon added select Usenet areas to my BBS.

* SLMR 2.1a * alnal nathrak uth vaas bethud dothiel dienve
durian
2024-05-23 06:24:56 UTC
Post by Dumas Walker
Post by Phil Carmody
Post by Mark
Hey ho. 35 years of using Usenet makes you jaded...or realistic. (Pick
either or both)
Yikes, scary. I guess it was 1990 for me. 2nd year at uni, when I
finally got my hands on the mythical VAX cluster.
Wow, that is close to when I first got on Usenet. I would have been at uni
in 1990 but they didn't have Usenet available for students. We had a local
dial-up shell-account ISP that did, though. They also offered UUCP feeds,
so I soon added select Usenet areas to my BBS.
hashtag metoo I guess, little earlier though, from around 1984 or 1985.
I think there was only a single motorsports group in the beginning, before we got rec.autos sport.f1.

-peter
Yazoo
2024-05-22 11:32:51 UTC
On Wed, 22 May 2024 08:28:25 -0000 (UTC), Mark <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
Post by Mark
Hey ho. 35 years of using Usenet makes you jaded...or realistic. (Pick
either or both)
Well, I've started 1993, so not quite 35 years, but long enough to be
grupmy old fart, particularly about politics ;)

It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
Mark Jackson
2024-05-22 20:16:12 UTC
Post by Yazoo
Post by Mark
Hey ho. 35 years of using Usenet makes you jaded...or realistic. (Pick
either or both)
Well, I've started 1993, so not quite 35 years, but long enough to be
grupmy old fart, particularly about politics ;)
1992 for me (although I'd been on ARPAnet since 1983). Pre-split of
rec.autos.sport, which I imagine some still decry.
--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
[A]nyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't
- Robert Benchley
~misfit~
2024-05-23 00:30:47 UTC
Post by Yazoo
Post by Mark
Hey ho. 35 years of using Usenet makes you jaded...or realistic. (Pick
either or both)
Well, I've started 1993, so not quite 35 years, but long enough to be
grupmy old fart, particularly about politics ;)
1992 for me (although I'd been on ARPAnet since 1983).  Pre-split of rec.autos.sport, which I
imagine some still decry.
Late 1993 - 1994 for me* though I didn't come to RASF1 until maybe a couple decades after that.
Back then I was part of a group of friends who recorded the F1 then had 'watching parties' on the
Monday night so I could have all of the F1 discussion I desired IRL.

For me in the early days I used usenet for things that I was interested in and couldn't talk about
IRL for whatever reason - as I still do.

* I don't remember exactly when but it was quite a bit before Windows 95 was released (which I
bought on release day - for my ostensibly 'business computer' - WordPerfect FTW!!!).
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Yazoo
2024-05-23 12:46:49 UTC
On Thu, 23 May 2024 12:30:47 +1200, ~misfit~
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

Post by ~misfit~
* I don't remember exactly when but it was quite a bit before Windows 95 was released (which I
bought on release day - for my ostensibly 'business computer' - WordPerfect FTW!!!).
You've hit me with several reminders :)

During the '95 I was authoring the book about Windows 95 (codename
Chicago anyone?), so I've got all early versions of Windows (early
beta, release candidate 1, final beta, ...). And of course I bought
the final product on release day (24 August 1995).

And Word Perfect! My dear god! I'd been using it since DOS days (late
eighties). 5.1 for DOS was really perfect, I probably produced tons of
content with it! I used 5.2 for Windows, but not for a long, because
there was a problem with printing in Windows (Microsoft to be blamed
for this mess), so I switched to MS Word 2.0 for Windows).
Do you remember "reveal codes". What a feature! Full control of
document, formats, special codes, everything.

What a journey down the memory lane!

Thank you for this.
It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
~misfit~
2024-05-24 00:08:25 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
* I don't remember exactly when but it was quite a bit before Windows 95 was released (which I
bought on release day - for my ostensibly 'business computer' - WordPerfect FTW!!!).
You've hit me with several reminders :)
During the '95 I was authoring the book about Windows 95 (codename
Chicago anyone?), so I've got all early versions of Windows (early
beta, release candidate 1, final beta, ...). And of course I bought
the final product on release day (24 August 1995).
I'm in the process of 'minimising clutter' (as I rent and will have to move soon) so have recently
got rid of my (first day) release version of Windows 95, as well as Sp 1 and SP 2 disks etc...
Post by Yazoo
And Word Perfect! My dear god! I'd been using it since DOS days (late
eighties). 5.1 for DOS was really perfect, I probably produced tons of
content with it! I used 5.2 for Windows, but not for a long, because
there was a problem with printing in Windows (Microsoft to be blamed
for this mess), so I switched to MS Word 2.0 for Windows).
Do you remember "reveal codes". What a feature! Full control of
document, formats, special codes, everything.
What a journey down the memory lane!
Indeed! I originally had 5.1 for DOS then, after the hit they took after the release of 5.2 and the
issues, prices dropped. When I 'upgraded' I got a good deal (~NZ$650) on PerfectOffice 3.0 which
contained WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows (3.11 at the time for me). Initially it was on a large number
of floppies but after a HDD crash, when I went to reinstall one disc was corrupt. I managed to talk
the vendor into giving me the Novell version on CD as a replacement so I could continue to use it.
(I think I just threw that out last month also. :-/)

Not long after that I did my back in and lost my business so had no need for the office suite. I
used Wordpad for basic stuff until migrating to LibreOffice / OpenOffice etc.
Post by Yazoo
Thank you for this.
:)
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Yazoo
2024-05-24 07:18:41 UTC
On Fri, 24 May 2024 12:08:25 +1200, ~misfit~
Post by ~misfit~
Indeed! I originally had 5.1 for DOS then, after the hit they took after the release of 5.2 and the
issues, prices dropped. When I 'upgraded' I got a good deal (~NZ$650) on PerfectOffice 3.0 which
contained WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows (3.11 at the time for me). Initially it was on a large number
of floppies but after a HDD crash, when I went to reinstall one disc was corrupt. I managed to talk
the vendor into giving me the Novell version on CD as a replacement so I could continue to use it.
(I think I just threw that out last month also. :-/)
Not long after that I did my back in and lost my business so had no need for the office suite. I
used Wordpad for basic stuff until migrating to LibreOffice / OpenOffice etc.
Post by Yazoo
Thank you for this.
:)
Well, It's nice to meet somebody who remembers those heroic times :)

The company I'm working with now was distributor for WP back then
(early nineties). I joined them later, after the whole WP business
collapsed. I personally liked WP a lot. Novell also. I was Netware
admin for years and it was really good, much better than any other LAN
software.
This were the days :)
It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
Sir Tim
2024-05-25 07:15:32 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Indeed! I originally had 5.1 for DOS then, after the hit they took after
the release of 5.2 and the
issues, prices dropped. When I 'upgraded' I got a good deal (~NZ$650) on
PerfectOffice 3.0 which
contained WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows (3.11 at the time for me).
Initially it was on a large number
of floppies but after a HDD crash, when I went to reinstall one disc was
corrupt. I managed to talk
the vendor into giving me the Novell version on CD as a replacement so I
could continue to use it.
(I think I just threw that out last month also. :-/)
Not long after that I did my back in and lost my business so had no need
for the office suite. I
used Wordpad for basic stuff until migrating to LibreOffice / OpenOffice etc.
Post by Yazoo
Thank you for this.
:)
Well, It's nice to meet somebody who remembers those heroic times :)
The company I'm working with now was distributor for WP back then
(early nineties). I joined them later, after the whole WP business
collapsed. I personally liked WP a lot. Novell also. I was Netware
admin for years and it was really good, much better than any other LAN
software.
This were the days :)
This has become an interesting thread - despite having veered away from the
subject of F1 ;-)
Sir Tim
Darryl Johnson
2024-05-25 13:31:11 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Indeed! I originally had 5.1 for DOS then, after the hit they took after
the release of 5.2 and the
issues, prices dropped. When I 'upgraded' I got a good deal (~NZ$650) on
PerfectOffice 3.0 which
contained WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows (3.11 at the time for me).
Initially it was on a large number
of floppies but after a HDD crash, when I went to reinstall one disc was
corrupt. I managed to talk
the vendor into giving me the Novell version on CD as a replacement so I
could continue to use it.
(I think I just threw that out last month also. :-/)
Not long after that I did my back in and lost my business so had no need
for the office suite. I
used Wordpad for basic stuff until migrating to LibreOffice / OpenOffice etc.
Post by Yazoo
Thank you for this.
:)
Well, It's nice to meet somebody who remembers those heroic times :)
The company I'm working with now was distributor for WP back then
(early nineties). I joined them later, after the whole WP business
collapsed. I personally liked WP a lot. Novell also. I was Netware
admin for years and it was really good, much better than any other LAN
software.
This were the days :)
This has become an interesting thread - despite having veered away from the
subject of F1 ;-)
I recently read on a tech site that an old version of Archie had been
resurrected from a European server. I used to use Archie and FTP to
locate and obtain programs from various -- mostly US -- servers. I did
meet the McGill University professor who had written Archie at some
point. I have no idea what version of DOS we were running back then.
(But I do remember having to avoid TRex dinosaurs on the way in from the
parking lot. <g>)
Phil Carmody
2024-05-22 09:29:28 UTC
Post by Yazoo
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Yazoo
Hi all!
This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.
Thank you.
Y.
And there was I thinking that, in a world where very few people have even
heard of Usenet, the “Net Police” was a thing of the past.
We don't need net police, we just need to be polite and respectful.
That's all.
And, as you say, on-topic.
Post by Yazoo
--
It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
But if the net police are out in force, I'm pointing the finger at your

10 second penalty awarded.

Phil
Yazoo
2024-05-22 11:35:53 UTC
On Wed, 22 May 2024 12:29:28 +0300, Phil Carmody <pc+***@asdf.org>
wrote:
Post by Phil Carmody
And, as you say, on-topic.
Yes! Exactly!
Post by Phil Carmody
Post by Yazoo
--
It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
But if the net police are out in force, I'm pointing the finger at your
sig separator for being malformed - it should be dash-dash-space.
That's in the technical regulations.
10 second penalty awarded.
Phil
Ups! I did it!
Just watch me sitting in the box: 10, 9, ...
It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
Woozy Song
2024-05-24 02:39:20 UTC
Post by Yazoo
Hi all!
This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.
You should have seen the Eurovision forums this year. What a shit-show
there were.
Yazoo
2024-05-24 07:10:52 UTC
Post by Woozy Song
Post by Yazoo
Hi all!
This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.
You should have seen the Eurovision forums this year. What a shit-show
there were.
I can imagine. But Eurovision was always polluted by politics. That's
the reason I don't follow it (in addition to some really bad music :)
It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.
Bigbird
2024-06-01 18:26:41 UTC
Post by Yazoo
Hi all!
This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.
Thank you.
Y.
Is this thread Off-Topic?

Asking for a friend.

:-)
Yazoo
2024-06-17 06:56:57 UTC
On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 18:26:41 -0000 (UTC), "Bigbird"
Post by Bigbird
Post by Yazoo
Hi all!
This group is for Formula 1 and F1 fans, so stick to the theme.
If you just have to discuss politics, please find other
way/medium/newsgroup.
Thank you.
Y.
Is this thread Off-Topic?
Asking for a friend.
:-)
Of course it is :)
Good old news! Almost always goes this way.
--
It's better to be judged by twelwe than carried by six.