Mercedes changing livery for 2020
Add Reply
Brian Lawrence
2020-06-29 13:12:06 UTC
To mainly black, in support of Black Lives Matter.

"Mercedes will run a new black livery in Formula 1 in 2020 as a signal
of their commitment to greater diversity and inclusion in motorsport.

Silver had been the company's colour scheme in racing since the 1930s.

Mercedes said the Black Lives Matter movement had "shone a searching
light on how much we need new measures and actions in the fight against
racism".

Lewis Hamilton called it an "important statement that we are willing to
change and improve as a business".

Mercedes F1 team said in a statement that "just 3% of our workforce
identify as belonging to minority ethnic groups and only 12% of our
employees are women.

"This lack of diversity shows that we need to find new approaches to
attract talent from many areas of society we do not currently reach."

The team will also launch a diversity and inclusion programme that will
include raising awareness, analysis of their recruitment programme,
collaboration with F1 stakeholders on accessibility and education
initiatives.

Mercedes F1 team principal Toto Wolff said: "Racism and discrimination
have no place in our society, our sport or our team: this is a core
belief at Mercedes.

"But having the right beliefs and the right mindset isn't enough if we
remain silent.

"We wish to use our voice and our global platform to speak up for
respect and equality, and the Silver Arrow will race in black for the
entire 2020 season to show our commitment to greater diversity within
our team and our sport.

"We will not shy away from our weaknesses in this area, nor from the
progress we must still make; our livery is our public pledge to take
positive action."

Six-time world champion Hamilton has announced he is setting up a
commission in partnership with the Royal Academy of Engineering to
promote black participation in motorsport.

He added: "It's so important that we seize this moment and use it to
educate ourselves, whether you are an individual, brand or company to
make real meaningful changes when it comes to ensuring equality and
inclusivity.

"I have personally experienced racism in my life and seen my family and
friends experience racism, and I am speaking from the heart when I
appeal for change.

"When I spoke to Toto about my hopes for what we could achieve as a
team, I said it was so important that we stand united.

"I would like to say a huge thank you to Toto and the Mercedes board for
taking the time to listen, to talk, and to really understand my
experiences and passion, and for making this important statement that we
are willing to change and improve as a business.

"We want to build a legacy that goes beyond sport, and if we can be the
leaders and can start building more diversity within our own business,
it will send such a strong message and give others the confidence to
begin a dialogue about how they can implement change."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53218197
FB
2020-06-29 14:40:11 UTC
so Mercedes will race the cars in black face... how nice...

FB
D Munz
2020-06-29 19:47:54 UTC
Post by FB
so Mercedes will race the cars in black face... how nice...
FB
Ok, that's actually kind of funny.

Tough to pull off these days.

2020-06-29 20:00:59 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by FB
so Mercedes will race the cars in black face... how nice...
FB
Ok, that's actually kind of funny.
Tough to pull off these days.
Cue texasgate for color...