Tyres so far
Brian Lawrence
2019-05-08 11:30:03 UTC
I've been trying to decipher the complex world of F1 tyres!

According to various websites the compounds supplied so far were:

2019 tyres 2018 tyres
Australia C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
Bahrain C1 C2 C3 Medium Soft Supersoft
China C2 C3 C4 Medium Soft Ultrasoft
Azerbaijan C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft

Announced by Pirelli:

Spain C1 C2 C3 Medium Soft Supersoft
Monaco C3 C4 C5 Supersoft Ultrasoft Hypersoft
Canada C3 C4 C5 Supersoft Ultrasoft Hypersoft
France C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
Austria C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft

According to Pirelli, C1 is roughly equivalent to the 2018 Hard tyre,
while C2 is effectively last year's Medium, C3 equiv. to Soft, C4 to
Ultrasoft & C5 to Hypersoft.

Best I can tell these are the tyres Pirelli have brought to Catalunya
since 2011:

2011 Soft/Yellow Hard/Silver
2012 Soft/Yellow Hard/Silver
2013 Medium/White Hard/Orange
2014 Medium/White Hard/Orange
2015 Medium/White Hard/Orange
2016 Soft/Yellow Medium/White Hard/Orange
2017 Soft/Yellow Medium/White Hard/Orange
2018 Supersoft/Red Soft/Yellow Medium/White
2019 C3/Red C2/Yellow C1/White

Although I've put them in columns the actual compounds changed over
the years and were not necessarily similar.
Brian Lawrence
2019-05-08 15:15:45 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
I've been trying to decipher the complex world of F1 tyres!
Number of sets chosen by teams for Spain:

ESP Wh Yl Rd
Hd Md Sf
C1 C2 C3 C4 C5
======================================
HAM Mercedes 2 3 8
BOT Mercedes 1 4 8
VET Ferrari 1 3 9
LEC Ferrari 2 2 9
VER Red Bull 2 4 7
GAS Red Bull 2 4 7
RIC Renault 1 3 9
HUL Renault 2 2 9
MAG Haas 1 4 8
GRO Haas 2 3 8
SAI McLaren 3 2 8
NOR McLaren 3 2 8
PER Racing Point 2 3 8
STR Racing Point 2 3 8
RAI Alfa Romeo 1 3 9
GIO Alfa Romeo 2 2 9
KVY Toro Rosso 1 4 8
ALB Toro Rosso 2 3 8
RUS Williams 1 5 7
KUB Williams 2 4 7
Brian Lawrence
2019-05-09 10:44:59 UTC
After 4 races:

55 stints completed on C2 tyres, 1327 laps, ~7100km.
Average stint 24 laps, ~130km.
Longest stint: 44 laps, Hulkenburg, AUS

93 stints on C3, 2105 laps, ~11800km.
Average stint 23 laps, ~127km.
Longest stint: 45 laps, Raikkonen, AUS

55 stints on C4, 708 laps, ~3700km.
Average stint 13 laps, ~70km.
Longest stint: 30 laps, Giovinazzi, AUS

Although C1 was supplied in Bahrain it was not used in the
race.
~misfit~
2019-05-08 23:15:52 UTC
While wearing a T-shirt that said "Usenet will Never Die" Brian
Post by Brian Lawrence
I've been trying to decipher the complex world of F1 tyres!
2019 tyres 2018 tyres
Australia C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
Bahrain C1 C2 C3 Medium Soft Supersoft
China C2 C3 C4 Medium Soft Ultrasoft
Azerbaijan C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
Spain C1 C2 C3 Medium Soft Supersoft
Monaco C3 C4 C5 Supersoft Ultrasoft Hypersoft
Canada C3 C4 C5 Supersoft Ultrasoft Hypersoft
France C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
Austria C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
According to Pirelli, C1 is roughly equivalent to the 2018 Hard tyre,
while C2 is effectively last year's Medium, C3 equiv. to Soft, C4 to
Ultrasoft & C5 to Hypersoft.
What annoys me is that, although the C1 is equal to last years hard as you
say they call it (the hardest tyre in this years range) 'medium'. If there
is no 'hard' in a range of five then surely logic dicatates there can be no
medium? (Unless it's psychic...)

If they called it hard they could then do away with the supersoft. ultrasoft
and hypersoft nonsense at the other end of the scale and reduce it to just
two silly names? Maybe 'megasoft' and 'butter'...

Or just stick to the C1, C2, C3, C4 and C5 nomenclature they announced to
cut through the bullshit.

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
t***@gmail.com
2019-05-08 23:22:54 UTC
What annoys me is that
Thanks for the predictable complaining
from AU or NZ.
build
2019-05-09 02:35:42 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
I've been trying to decipher the complex world of F1 tyres!
2019 tyres 2018 tyres
Australia C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
Bahrain C1 C2 C3 Medium Soft Supersoft
China C2 C3 C4 Medium Soft Ultrasoft
Azerbaijan C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
Spain C1 C2 C3 Medium Soft Supersoft
Monaco C3 C4 C5 Supersoft Ultrasoft Hypersoft
Canada C3 C4 C5 Supersoft Ultrasoft Hypersoft
France C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
Austria C2 C3 C4 Soft Supersoft Ultrasoft
According to Pirelli, C1 is roughly equivalent to the 2018 Hard tyre,
while C2 is effectively last year's Medium, C3 equiv. to Soft, C4 to
Ultrasoft & C5 to Hypersoft.
Think you maybe confused.
Post by ~misfit~
What annoys me is that, although the C1 is equal to last years hard
The C1 is not *equal* to last years hard.
Post by ~misfit~
as you say they call it (the hardest tyre in this years range) 'medium'.
And no they do not call the hard; 'medium'.
Post by ~misfit~
If there is no 'hard' in a range of five
There is indeed a 'hard' tyre.

see:
https://press.pirelli.com/whats-new-with-pirellis-2019-formula-1-tyres/
Post by ~misfit~
then surely logic dicatates there can be no
medium? (Unless it's psychic...)
If they called it hard they could then do away with the supersoft. ultrasoft
and hypersoft nonsense at the other end of the scale and reduce it to just
two silly names? Maybe 'megasoft' and 'butter'...
Or just stick to the C1, C2, C3, C4 and C5 nomenclature they announced to
cut through the bullshit.
Good idea. That is in fact what has happened.
Brian Lawrence
2019-05-09 06:29:00 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
According to Pirelli, C1 is roughly equivalent to the 2018 Hard tyre,
while C2 is effectively last year's Medium, C3 equiv. to Soft, C4 to
Ultrasoft & C5 to Hypersoft.
Think you maybe confused.
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/motorsport/f1/tyres

"C1 stands for Compound 1, and it’s the hardest tyre in the 2019 Pirelli
range, sitting just below the 2018 hard in terms of compounding."

Pirelli's graphics detailing how many sets are allocated to each driver
shows the C1 tyre as 'White Hard C1' for Bahrain & Spain.

<https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.what-tyres-have-the-teams-and-drivers-picked-for-spain.17s5sO7NNNEF50DZt67sQG.html>
build
2019-05-09 06:52:23 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by build
Post by Brian Lawrence
According to Pirelli, C1 is roughly equivalent to the 2018 Hard tyre,
while C2 is effectively last year's Medium, C3 equiv. to Soft, C4 to
Ultrasoft & C5 to Hypersoft.
Think you maybe confused.
That was a reply to misfit.
Post by Brian Lawrence
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/motorsport/f1/tyres
"C1 stands for Compound 1, and it’s the hardest tyre in the 2019 Pirelli
range, sitting just below the 2018 hard in terms of compounding."
Yes the C1 is the hardest tyre in the range as I said in the details posted.
Post by Brian Lawrence
Pirelli's graphics detailing how many sets are allocated to each driver
shows the C1 tyre as 'White Hard C1' for Bahrain & Spain.
However, the 'Hard' tyre in Bahrain and Spain just happens to be C1. At the Aust, Chinese, Azerbaijan races the hard was be C2. In Monaco the 'Hard' tyre will be the C3.

So, no the C1 is not the 'Hard' tyre it is simply the hardest in the range.
Post by Brian Lawrence
<https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.what-tyres-have-the-teams-and-drivers-picked-for-spain.17s5sO7NNNEF50DZt67sQG.html>
cheers,
build
Brian Lawrence
2019-05-09 09:06:15 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by build
Post by Brian Lawrence
According to Pirelli, C1 is roughly equivalent to the 2018 Hard tyre,
while C2 is effectively last year's Medium, C3 equiv. to Soft, C4 to
Ultrasoft & C5 to Hypersoft.
Think you maybe confused.
That was a reply to misfit.
But the text was mine not his.
Post by Brian Lawrence
Pirelli's graphics detailing how many sets are allocated to each driver
shows the C1 tyre as 'White Hard C1' for Bahrain & Spain.
However, the 'Hard' tyre in Bahrain and Spain just happens to be C1. At the Aust, Chinese, Azerbaijan races the hard was be C2. In Monaco the 'Hard' tyre will be the C3.
So, no the C1 is not the 'Hard' tyre it is simply the hardest in the range.
AFAIK the FOM graphics and all commentary that I have heard do not refer
to them by number, but only by name, so to the casual viewer of the
Spanish GP, the C1 'IS' the hard tyre. You and I know that it's the
hardest tyre in the range, which is designated the C1, but I'd imagine
most people are not aware of that.

That said, 'most people' are unaware of a lot of stuff that is obvious
to me :-)
~misfit~
2019-05-09 11:22:40 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
According to Pirelli, C1 is roughly equivalent to the 2018 Hard
tyre, while C2 is effectively last year's Medium, C3 equiv. to
Soft, C4 to Ultrasoft & C5 to Hypersoft.
Think you maybe confused.
That was a reply to misfit.
Think you are drunk.

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
build
2019-05-09 04:34:51 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
[...]
I think I posted this last year after the AbuDhabi test but some folk may find it useful now the season is underway.

20181128
2019 RANGE
The 2019 tyres are simply designated by number.
C1, Hardest.
C2,
C3,
C4,
C5, Softest.

Comparison 2019 to 2018, **Approximation!!!!**.
This information is directly from Mario Isola.
Note that not only are the compounds *new*, i.e. not the same as 2018!!!
The construction has also changed so the 2019 tyres will behave differently.
C1, Softer than last years Hard, pretty much between Hard/Medium.
C2, Close to last years Medium, but perhaps slightly softer.
C3, Similar to last years Soft.
C4, Between SuperSoft and UltraSoft.
C5, HyperSoft but different construction so less graining.

Note A. New construction so not surprising that characteristics are different to the 2018 tyres.
Note B. At post Abu Dhabi test the Compound 5 was faster than the HyperSoft, the clock showed 0.362 but was apparently probably half that, when adjusted for temps, etc. The expert told me the difference was measured accurately at a bees dick (very close).
Note D. The tread will be thinner in 2019 similar to those thinner treads used in Spain, etc in 2018.

2018 range for those who've forgotten.
HyperSoft, pink,
UltraSoft, burple,
SuperSoft, red,
Soft, yellow,
Medium, white,
Hard, blue,
SuperHard, orange,

And, if you are not aware;
Teams must take at least 1 set of each of the nominated compounds.
Note (1) Teams are free to choose the remaining 10 sets, making 13 sets in total for the weekend.
Note (2) Selections for long-haul events have to be made 14 weeks in advance; for European races the deadline is 8 weeks in advance.
Note (3) The hardest compound will be coloured white, the middle compound yellow and softest red.

(q) Each driver must save one set of the softest of the three nominated compounds for Q3. This set will then be returned for those who qualify in the top 10, but the remaining drivers will keep it for the race.
(r) Each driver must have both race sets available for the grand prix.
2019 Australia, C4q, C3r, C2r. (Note# Approx UltraSoft, Soft, Medium. A definite one stop race, sadly.)
2019 Bahrain, C3q, C2r, C1r.
2019 China, C4q, C3r, C2r. (Note# No step in '19. In 2018 China, UltraSoft, Soft, Medium.)
2019 Azerbaijan, C4q, C3r, C2r.

It seems Pirelli have accepted that the engineers will chase them down to a single stop no matter how soft they make the tyres. So if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, seems these tyres can be pushed (much?) harder than the 2018 tyres. But that won't shut up the frangible, male bovine excrement tyre experts.

I hope this does not lead to:
"Pironi is on the yellow medium tyre which is actually the ultrasoft tyre that was coloured purple last year and Villeneuve is the the harder white hard tyre which was actually the soft tyre last year, it was the yellow tyre followed by Piquet on the red soft tyre which is actually the fastest hypersoft tyres and those were coloured pink last year unless I'm very much mistaken or colour blind."