WDC
2020-06-06 20:22:17 UTC
Anyone know what the status of the WDC is? Will there actually be one?

If the present truncated season (currently 8 races) is to count as a
championship what will the scoring system be? Seems to me the old
9-6-4-3-2-1 system might be appropriate.
2020-06-06 20:58:10 UTC
Anyone know what the status of the WDC is? Will there actually be one?
If at least the current schedule holds, yes:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/149786/brawn-european-calendar-counts-as-world-championship

The continued use of the word "World" constitutes a waiver of this from
the ISC:

"2.4.3.b.i The cup, trophy, challenge or series calendar must
include Competitions taking place on at least three continents
during the same season."
Post by Sir Tim
If the present truncated season (currently 8 races) is to count as a
championship what will the scoring system be? Seems to me the old
9-6-4-3-2-1 system might be appropriate.
No change from 2019 in the current regs.
E Lengeege weth e smell nember ef vewels cen remeen
qeete expresseve. - Steven Pinker
a425couple
2020-06-10 20:34:48 UTC
Anyone know what the status of the WDC is? Will there actually be one?
I think the current plans are realistic, and that there
should be one.
I read, "As per the sporting regulations, a minimum of eight races
must take place for the season to be considered a championship."
Currently 8 are planned, and I think more will be added
later in the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Formula_One_World_Championship

As for historical standards, recall that in 1955 they
had eleven WDC races scheduled (10 road races plus Indy),
but after the Le Mans disaster 4 were cancelled.
Fangio won the 1955 WDC that consisted of only
6 road races.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Formula_One_season
Post by Sir Tim
If the present truncated season (currently 8 races) is to count as a
championship what will the scoring system be? Seems to me the old
9-6-4-3-2-1 system might be appropriate.
I think the current (as used in 2019) points system is fine.
The reasons they increased from only rewarding the top
6 places, to rewarding 10 is still very valid.
The problem with only rewarding 6, is that with current
reliability of the top teams, often only 3 teams would
earn points, and it was recognized that more needed
to be rewarded / recognized.