Why did Frentzen pit on last lap Monaco 1996?
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2020-05-14 09:50:53 UTC
the Monaco GP 1996 had the lowest number of finishers across the line ever of course;

just 3 drivers - Olivier Panis, David Coulthard, Johnny Herbert

Heinz-Harald Frentzen was still running (in 4th) at the end, but instead of crossing the line he pitted - why?

(Pitting or not didn't affect where he would finish and I think he knew that - but pitting instead of just going around the Anthony Nogues corner and onto the straight etc was a strange decision though)
a425couple
2020-05-15 15:03:38 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
the Monaco GP 1996 had the lowest number of finishers across the line ever of course;
just 3 drivers - Olivier Panis, David Coulthard, Johnny Herbert
Heinz-Harald Frentzen was still running (in 4th) at the end, but instead of crossing the line he pitted - why?
(Pitting or not didn't affect where he would finish and I think he knew that - but pitting instead of just going around the Anthony Nogues corner and onto the straight etc was a strange decision though)
My 1996-97 Autocourse on page 147 says,
"---Panis --- cruise home --- ahead of -- Coulthard
and Johnny Herbert's Sauber, which was the only other
car circulating at the finish after team mate
Frentzem pulled into the pit lane on the last lap
having been given the chequered flag just ahead of
Panis. He finished forth, ---"

These things happen sometimes.