Ferrari's 1,000th race start
Add Reply
Brian Lawrence
2020-09-12 18:38:06 UTC
Crofty alluded to it during today's commentary, but although
tomorrow should be the Scuderia's 1,000th GP start, it's actually
their 1,001st Championship start.

In 1952 between the Swiss & Belgian GPs they entered a 'Ferrari
special' in round 2 of the WDC, the Indy 500.

Car #12 was entered by Enzo Ferrari and driven by Albert Ascari. It was
a 375 with a 4.5L V12. It qualified 19th/row 7, but lost a wheel after
40 laps, classified 31st.

<https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Porn/comments/17bv98/alberto_ascari_ferrari_375_special_1952/>

<https://web.archive.org/web/20091201112405/http://www.formula1.com/results/season/1952/609/>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Indianapolis_500>
Mark Jackson
2020-09-12 18:51:52 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Crofty alluded to it during today's commentary, but although
tomorrow should be the Scuderia's 1,000th GP start, it's actually
their 1,001st Championship start.
In 1952 between the Swiss & Belgian GPs they entered a 'Ferrari
special' in round 2 of the WDC, the Indy 500.
See, he doesn't count *that* but goes on about how Gasly is the 109th GP
winner, which includes 10 winners of the Indy 500 1950-1960. (Bill
Vukovich won twice.)
When all you have is a hammer every problem becomes a nail.
When all you have is the police every problem becomes a crime.
- Danielle Ponder
Brian Lawrence
2020-09-14 03:21:35 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Brian Lawrence
Crofty alluded to it during today's commentary, but although
tomorrow should be the Scuderia's 1,000th GP start, it's actually
their 1,001st Championship start.
In 1952 between the Swiss & Belgian GPs they entered a 'Ferrari
special' in round 2 of the WDC, the Indy 500.
See, he doesn't count *that* but goes on about how Gasly is the 109th GP
winner, which includes 10 winners of the Indy 500 1950-1960.  (Bill
Vukovich won twice.)
During Sunday's coverage he was saying that Mugello is the 75th circuit
to hold a Grand Prix. I guess he read that from an online list, but that
list probably includes the Algarve Motor Park which doesn't hold it's
first race until October 25. Mugello is #74.
Bigbird
2020-09-14 09:29:11 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by Brian Lawrence
Crofty alluded to it during today's commentary, but although
tomorrow should be the Scuderia's 1,000th GP start, it's actually
their 1,001st Championship start.
In 1952 between the Swiss & Belgian GPs they entered a 'Ferrari
special' in round 2 of the WDC, the Indy 500.
See, he doesn't count that but goes on about how Gasly is the 109th
GP winner, which includes 10 winners of the Indy 500 1950-1960.
(Bill Vukovich won twice.)
During Sunday's coverage he was saying that Mugello is the 75th
circuit to hold a Grand Prix. I guess he read that from an online
list, but that list probably includes the Algarve Motor Park which
doesn't hold it's first race until October 25. Mugello is #74.
F1 commentators are often not responsible for their own fact
checking/trivia.

They use someone like this guy,
https://www.linkedin.com/in/virtualstatman/ Sean Kelly.
He would feed them with stats and trivia live on air.

His job is to keep the stats and trivia coming and sometimes you could
tell they were repeating something he had fed them because it was dead
air filler that had no relevance to anything that was actually
happening on track.

Then again Legard used to do that all the time and I'm not sure he had
a guy feeding him.
--
Bozo bin
Texasgate
Enjoy!
~misfit~
2020-09-14 23:58:24 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by Brian Lawrence
[...]
AFter mentioning a stat at Mugello Croft actually said "thanks Sean" so it's likely that guy.

Geoff May
2020-09-12 19:10:16 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Crofty alluded to it during today's commentary, but although
tomorrow should be the Scuderia's 1,000th GP start, it's actually
their 1,001st Championship start.
In 1952 between the Swiss & Belgian GPs they entered a 'Ferrari
special' in round 2 of the WDC, the Indy 500.
[snipped]
Have you seen the cars? And their helmets?

I didn't watch the practice sessions but I do like that red colour.
Looks much nicer than the standard red they use.

Vettel's helmet looked like it was covered in oil on one side and the
other had a technical drawing of a car (I assume the first one but
couldn't make it out).

Cheers

Geoff
Sir Tim
2020-09-12 20:02:42 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by Brian Lawrence
Crofty alluded to it during today's commentary, but although
tomorrow should be the Scuderia's 1,000th GP start, it's actually
their 1,001st Championship start.
In 1952 between the Swiss & Belgian GPs they entered a 'Ferrari
special' in round 2 of the WDC, the Indy 500.
[snipped]
Have you seen the cars? And their helmets?
I didn't watch the practice sessions but I do like that red colour.
Can’t say that I do. Nothing wrong with the colour but it simply doesn’t
look “Ferrari”. Of course I realize that it is based on the very first
Ferrari, the 125S:

Post by Geoff May
Looks much nicer than the standard red they use.
Vettel's helmet looked like it was covered in oil on one side and the
other had a technical drawing of a car (I assume the first one but
couldn't make it out).
I would love to see a return to simple, easily recognized helmet designs
such as Jackie Stewart, the Hills, pere et fils, Senna etc. especially now
that so little of the driver is visible. But of course every square
centimeter of visible space is valuable for commercial reasons.
Darryl Johnson
2020-09-12 22:15:51 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by Brian Lawrence
Crofty alluded to it during today's commentary, but although
tomorrow should be the Scuderia's 1,000th GP start, it's actually
their 1,001st Championship start.
In 1952 between the Swiss & Belgian GPs they entered a 'Ferrari
special' in round 2 of the WDC, the Indy 500.
[snipped]
Have you seen the cars? And their helmets?
I didn't watch the practice sessions but I do like that red colour.
Looks much nicer than the standard red they use.
On the TV this morning, the Ferraris looked like a shade of purple,
almost mauve. More than once, it took me a second to realize that it
was a Ferrari I was looking at.
Geoff
a425couple
2020-09-12 20:50:29 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Crofty alluded to it during today's commentary, but although
tomorrow should be the Scuderia's 1,000th GP start, it's actually
their 1,001st Championship start.
In 1952 between the Swiss & Belgian GPs they entered a 'Ferrari
special' in round 2 of the WDC, the Indy 500.
Car #12 was entered by Enzo Ferrari and driven by Albert Ascari. It was
a 375 with a 4.5L V12. It qualified 19th/row 7, but lost a wheel after
40 laps, classified 31st.
<https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Porn/comments/17bv98/alberto_ascari_ferrari_375_special_1952/>
<https://web.archive.org/web/20091201112405/http://www.formula1.com/results/season/1952/609/>
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Indianapolis_500>
Some believed it was going to be an easy pick up of
a bunch of American prize money.
Turns out they underestimated the amount of torque
needed at Indy back in those days.