2020 BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX WILL BE HELD IN RIO
Add Reply
a425couple
2019-05-09 15:14:59 UTC
from
https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/05/08/president-bolsonaro-the-brazil-grand-prix-will-be-held-in-rio/

2020 BRAZILIAN GRAND PRIX WILL BE HELD IN RIO
AFP 8 May, 201927 Comments

The 2020 Brazilian Grand Prix will be held in Rio de Janeiro, ending a
three-decade-long association with Sao Paulo, the country’s President
Jair Bolsonaro announced on Wednesday.

“A new motor-racing track is going to be built. The construction will
take six to seven months and the Brazil Grand Prix will be held in Rio
de Janeiro next year,” Bolsonaro said during a military ceremony in the
city.

“There was state assistance (from the local government) in Sao Paulo,
with a huge debt. Keeping F1 there was no longer viable, so they turned
towards Rio.”

Bolsonaro also signed a memorandum of understanding for the construction
of the new circuit (pictured above) at the Deodoro military base in the
west of the city.

Deodoro was used as a venue for some events at the 2016 Olympics,
including equestrian, field hockey and modern pentathlon.

Bolsonaro promised the new track would be built “without public money”
and that it would generate up to 7,000 new jobs.

The Brazilian race was held in Rio in 1978, and then from 1981 to 1989,
before returning to its original home at the Interlagos circuit the
following year.

According to local reports, representatives for F1 owners Liberty Media
held talks with local officials in Rio last November over a possible
relocation of the race from Sao Paulo.

The estimated value of the concession to build and operate the venue for
35 years is 697-million reais (US$177-million), according to information
from Rio’s city hall. It estimates the track will have an economic
impact of 626-million reais annually.

Autodromo José Carlos Pace (aka Interlagos) has hosted the Brazilian
Grand Prix 36 times, while Autódromo do Rio de Janeiro in Jacarepagua
has hosted the Grand Prix ten times.

FacebookTwitterRedditPinterestLinkedInWhatsAppTumblrVKFlipboard

MIDWEEK WRAP: JACQUES V SCHUMI, VETTEL’S LEGACY, GP OVER-SATURATION?
FORMULA 1 TO BURN RUBBER IN CHICAGO

comments include:

Gustavo Machado • 3 hours ago
Nobody believes in this joke of a "president".

There will be no new track and Brazil might end up without an F1 GP from
2020 on. Watch this fail miserably.

Macstar • 6 hours ago
What a shame, but that's just the way it is.

dc • 9 hours ago
Oh no, interlagos being replaced with another terrible tilkedrome

onecog • 11 hours ago
That's a real shame, but there is no way that will be built in 6 months

Stephen White • 11 hours ago
Everyone is a track design expert apparently.

The Night Slasher • 13 hours ago
Looks like another horrid abortion from Tilke.

Macstar The Night Slasher • 5 hours ago
Not him again! He has tortured us enough!

It's going to take 2 years to build, it's going to come in absurdly over
budget and by the 5th year of operation it'll be broke.

Building an F1 facility in 6 to 7 months, that's the God Damn dumbest
nonsense I've heard all day and I heard a lot of nonsense today.

Peter Scandlyn Fabulous !!!!KartCMP1 • 12 hours ago
You could be right. Given the quoted time frame for the build, I'd be
surprised if it ain't broke sooner.....

Wabbit • 16 hours ago
Did Ecclestone not bid on the purchase of Autodromo José Carlos Pace
(aka Interlagos) details are sketchy beyond that; for someone who cares
not enough to dig deeper.

jimjimmy123 • 18 hours ago
Jacarepagua was badass.

pittlayne • 18 hours ago
Looks like Red Bull Ring meets Hungaroring

Mark Leel pittlayne • 18 hours ago
That’s a catastrophe.

AMD AMX • 18 hours ago
Looks like another Tilkedrome. How does he keep getting work? Does
ANYONE like his circuits?

‘Retired’ AMD AMX • 18 hours ago
Not me!

zchopper62 ‘Retired’ • 18 hours ago
i do and let me guess you can design a track?

VR46 • 18 hours ago
I see all that money that went into renovating Interlogos paid off.

zchopper62 VR46 • 18 hours ago
oh yeah how much and what was renovated?

Craig W. Bickerstaff zchopper62 • 15 hours ago
You didn't notice the change to the pit entry? Or Massa complaining
about the new curbs? I think they resurfaced it before the 2015 GP which
changed all the bumps or something I can't remember exactly.

Robin Ducker • 18 hours ago
...and guess who's designing the track? Yes, Tilke. He should copy
Interlagos, as that was one of the best overtaking circuits in the calendar.
Calum
John
2019-05-09 20:18:47 UTC
There isn't even a single strait of the design pictured. And were whee bleep is Brazil getting money for an entirely new track?
t***@gmail.com
2019-05-09 20:23:11 UTC
Post by John
And were whee bleep is Brazil getting money for an entirely new track?
That is a concern of yours?
Please take care of yourself during this difficult time.
Call a help line if needed.
John
Try looking up the state of Brazil's economy.
Michael Gooding
2019-05-10 07:16:34 UTC
Bolsonaro says it will be built without public money; who on earth's going to back it?

I can see the Brazilian and vietnamese GPs not being run for a few years.
Bruce Hoult
2019-05-11 00:26:20 UTC
Post by John
There isn't even a single strait of the design pictured. And were whee bleep is Brazil getting money for an entirely new track?
Brazil has 40% more population and 20% more GDP than Russia -- also more GDP than Canada, South Korea, Spain, Australia, Mexico.

If they want to do it then of course they can afford it.

Doing it in time for 2020 is another matter entirely. 18 months is surely not enough (not seven months as some of those commenters said)
Bigbird
2019-05-11 05:45:29 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by John
There isn't even a single strait of the design pictured. And were
whee bleep is Brazil getting money for an entirely new track?
Brazil has 40% more population and 20% more GDP than Russia -- also
more GDP than Canada, South Korea, Spain, Australia, Mexico.
Try it again, per capita
Post by Bruce Hoult
If they want to do it then of course they can afford it.
Sure, some might argue that F1 is the perfect sport to represent such
an inequal society.
Post by Bruce Hoult
Doing it in time for 2020 is another matter entirely. 18 months is
surely not enough (not seven months as some of those commenters said)
"The construction will take six to seven months... " President Jair
Bolsonaro announced on Wednesday.
--
Trump fact check:
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
Sir Tim
2019-05-11 08:55:13 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by John
There isn't even a single strait of the design pictured. And were
whee bleep is Brazil getting money for an entirely new track?
Brazil has 40% more population and 20% more GDP than Russia -- also
more GDP than Canada, South Korea, Spain, Australia, Mexico.
Try it again, per capita
Yes, Brazil comes way down the IMF list.