Ricciardo
Willsy
2019-05-03 09:45:38 UTC
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not see him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think he didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone? There was certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.

Some insights would be appreciated.
geoff
2019-05-03 10:42:59 UTC
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not see him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think he didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone? There was certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Or you could ask "Why did KVT just sit there and not move off when you
would have expected ?".

Listen to the radio from each driver. It is all pretty clear from those
exchanges.

The last 2 clips.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/4/TOP_10_ONBOARDS__The_best_action_from_Azerbaijan.html

2019-05-03 10:59:24 UTC
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he
not see him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only
think he didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already
gone? There was certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Or you could ask "Why did KVT just sit there and not move off when
you would have expected ?".
Is that even relevant to Ricciardo's culpability?

Assuming there is nothing behind you is not mitigation.
--
Trump fact check:
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
Willsy
2019-05-03 22:15:12 UTC
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not see him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think he didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone? There was certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Or you could ask "Why did KVT just sit there and not move off when you
would have expected ?".
Listen to the radio from each driver. It is all pretty clear from those
exchanges.
The last 2 clips.
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/4/TOP_10_ONBOARDS__The_best_action_from_Azerbaijan.html
geoff
Thanks for the info and insights. Speculating, but looking at KVY hand actions
on the wheel after stopping, I speculate that selecting reverse may be more
complex on the Torro Rosso car than the Renault. He had to take his right hand
off the wheel and (it looks like) press a button on the back of the wheel,
maybe to bring up a menu, and then (presumably) select reverse. By that time,
RIC had reversed into him. KVY was quite slow to react it seems.

Regards
Bigbird
2019-05-03 10:48:07 UTC
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not
see him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think
he didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone?
That's what he claims.
Post by Willsy
There
was certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Perhaps a more suitable punishment would be to impose some decent
mirrors on him such that he could not help but notice. These might
help...

He wouldn't forget to check again.
geoff
2019-05-03 21:25:00 UTC
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not
see him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think
he didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone?
That's what he claims.
Checked right mirrow - KVT not visible. Assume KVT was well gone, as
you'd normally expect, and ommitted to check the other mirror.

RIC is not VET.
Post by Bigbird
Post by Willsy
There
was certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Perhaps a more suitable punishment would be to impose some decent
mirrors on him such that he could not help but notice. These might
help...
https://www.velvac.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/products/w-715704_0.jpg?itok=I1vl0RCI
He wouldn't forget to check again.
Possibly could can earned a minor(?) penalty for negligence.

2019-05-04 06:53:56 UTC
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not see
him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think he
didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone? There was
certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Isn’t it time F1 replaced those ridiculous little mirrors with a
rearward-facing camera and monitor in the cockpit?
keefy
2019-05-04 22:23:45 UTC
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not see
him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think he
didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone? There was
certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Isn’t it time F1 replaced those ridiculous little mirrors with a
rearward-facing camera and monitor in the cockpit?
And where in the cockpit of an F1 car would you put that monitor? I do
not think there is a lot of empty space.
b***@topmail.co.nz
2019-05-07 11:32:47 UTC
put a little LED screen on the halo?
jtees4
2019-05-04 23:30:44 UTC
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not see
him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think he
didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone? There was
certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Isn’t it time F1 replaced those ridiculous little mirrors with a
rearward-facing camera and monitor in the cockpit?
Or at least a warning sound, hell my cheap 2017 Hyundai Elantra has
that....plus a rear view camera.
t***@gmail.com
2019-05-05 05:51:30 UTC
Isn’t it time F1 replaced those ridiculous little mirrors
Stop fucking crying you whiny old bed shitter.
larkim
2019-05-05 07:28:43 UTC
Yep, they need parking sensors, cruise control, run flat tyres, DAB radius fitting etc...
geoff
2019-05-08 05:16:46 UTC
Yep, they need parking sensors, cruise control, run flat tyres, DAB radius fitting etc...
They could save a heap of money on exorbitant driver salaries, and just
go for full self-drive GP. Then everything would function perfectly as
well !

2019-05-07 11:15:25 UTC
Isn’t it time F1 replaced those ridiculous little mirrors with a
rearward-facing camera and monitor in the cockpit?
Do you reckon the F1 teams might be aware of the technology and analysed it?

build
keithr0
2019-05-08 07:30:57 UTC
Perhaps KVY should be penalised for not blowing his horn as a warning
jtees4
2019-05-08 14:28:24 UTC
Post by keithr0
Post by Willsy
What on earth was RIC doing reversing into KVY at Baku? Could he not see him in his mirrors? I find that hard to believe. I can only think he didn't check his mirrors and thought Kvyat had already gone? There was certainly no malice; RIC isn't that kind of driver.
Some insights would be appreciated.
Perhaps KVY should be penalised for not blowing his horn as a warning
...or flashing his headlights at least ;-)