OT: My racing weekend was great, thanks for asking!
2020-08-25 18:01:43 UTC
With changes made to our weekends in light of COVID-19, all my sessions
were on Saturday along with half of the groups in the club; the other
half ran on Sunday.

I missed practice (a last minute problem with both my plan A and plan B
tow vehicles left me borrowing from a friend at the track; thankfully,
the car is now being kept just 5 minutes from the front gate).

Qualified on pole for race 1 just over 1 second faster than the next
fastest (Olov).

Won race 1 on cruise control (11 seconds ahead and short-shifting for
the last 4 laps to reduce the demands on the engine.

Took fastest lap in race 1 by nearly 2 seconds (1.911 to be exact), so
was on pole for race 2.

Won race to on cruise control (more than 12 seconds ahead).

Fastest lap in race 2 (by 0.872) got me on pole for race 3...

...which I won on cruise control by more than 13 seconds.

I knew Olov could be a hard competitor if he was in touch on the first
lap, so I worked very hard to make a good start, protect the inside line
against any attempt to "divebomb" in turn 1, then turned 3 or 4 maximum
attack laps to build a gap that I could then manage for the win. There's
a nice turnaround where while you're exiting turn 2, you can easily
glance over to the exit of turn one to gauge whether you're gaining or
losing your advantage, so it was just a case of never letting him get
close enough that he might feel he could attack if he turned a few
maximum laps of his own. If I'd driven flat-out to the finish of each
race, I could easily of doubled the margin of victory, but there was no
need to use up the car like that.

And the car itself was great. Aside from basic checking for anything
coming loose, I did nothing at all to car aside from fuel, air for the
tires and retorquing the centrelock wheels (I guess that could be
classed as checking for something loose). I made very little in the way
of setup changes, but my best times were run with the car feeling a
little "loose", and maybe I would have been better off staying with that
setup, but it seemed like a good chance to at least try slight different
tire pressure and roll stiffness balance.

Overall, the times weren't great, but nobody was running as fast as the
best laps of last year. The track is (for whatever reason) pretty
"greasy" right now.

I'll be the first to admit that my best competition for this year
(Darren) would almost certainly have made my wins into very tough
fights, but the car was really good today, and:

If Darren had not had to pull out, I would have put on a fresh set of
tires to take me through this weekend and the one in September (assuming
we still get it with all the COVID craziness). As it was, I did all that
on last year's tires.

I think that's not too bad.

And on Sunday, I worked as a turn marshal and helped my fellow FF racer
(racing in the other open wheel group in "Formula Libra"; basically a
catch-all) knock a second off his time in his last session.

I hope everyone else's weekend was as good.
t***@gmail.com
yawn
Alan Baker
2020-08-26 00:33:22 UTC
[...]
So what were you doing on the weekend?

:-)
fnot
2020-08-26 05:06:07 UTC
[...]
Congratulations Alan !
Looks like strategy and natural/learned driving talent clinched this
weekend for you.
Reminded me of Paul Tracy years ago on some oval putting two laps on the
field.
Alan Baker
2020-08-26 06:28:05 UTC
Post by fnot
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
I'm learning... ...sometimes slowly, but still.

:-)