Whiting's fuckwittery - continued...
2018-05-30 23:50:23 UTC
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136398/fia-to-use-new-software-to-monitor-ferrari-ers
Whiting said no extra sensors were fitted to the Ferraris in Monaco, and the FIA instead had to pursue a more complicated process to check how the system was operating.
"What we will have for Canada will be a better system which will help us get things done much, much quicker, because it's taken us a couple of races to get to the bottom of it.
"We want them to put extra monitoring on, but at the moment we're having to do it in a painstaking way. It takes a little longer than we would like.
"What we're trying to do is to monitor exactly what the differences between the two halves of the battery are. That's the crux of the matter.
"I'm not sure when any more additional sensors can be fitted; probably not until next year."
It's a fucking battery, it's either charging or discharging. It's not 2
batteries, it's hundreds of cells. Why doesn't the duffer ask what
systems they use to control battery usage in the E series?
~misfit~
2018-05-31 00:54:21 UTC
[...]
I think that what Charlie should have done here is, for the sake of
transparency (and OKing it forst with other teams) allow Ferrari to fit a
new ES that is properly metered without penalty. However I have a feeling
that Ferrari wouldn't accept that option, they'd rather wait until next year
(as Charlie is allowing them to) while continuing to exploit their
deliberately complex ES topology.

I bet if it were any other team they'd be told they have x weeks to comply.
"We want them to put extra monitoring on, but at the moment we're having to
do it in a painstaking way. It takes a little longer than we would like."
What's with the weasel-words? Issue a directive. Bench them until they
comply. If they're pressed for time I'm sure Haas would be happy to supply
them with a compliant system that works with the rest of their gear.

The old chestnut 'FIA = Ferrari International Assistance' has never been
more true. It's time that they were treated like any other team. Until they
are any points they gain have to be considered illegal.

2018-05-31 01:56:42 UTC
Why doesn't the duffer ask what systems they use to control battery usage in the E series?
Does someone wipe your ass too?
Daniel
2018-05-31 17:36:12 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Why doesn't the duffer ask what systems they use to control battery usage in the E series?
Does someone wipe your ass too?
You need to show a connection between the aforementioned activity and the
arguments you're engaging with. Otherwise people might think that you're
stupid.

Just trying to be helpful,
Daniel
larkim
2018-05-31 15:00:23 UTC
[...]
Whilst your simplification of the position is definitely the place to start
with getting transparency here, I doubt the reality is anywhere near as
straightforward as this. I'm all for bashing Ferrari around, but I don't
think Whiting is a soft touch in this sort of area, though it wouldn't be
beyond the wit of man for the teams to be so far ahead of the officials in
terms of technology that they can pull the wool over their eyes.

But personally I trust Whiting.
M2T
2018-05-31 15:19:09 UTC
But personally I trust Whiting.
And I'm certain Ferrari do too.
~misfit~
2018-06-01 00:55:56 UTC
[...]
Indeed it's not. Lithium batteries need management on a cell level or
they're likely to get flamey.
Post by larkim
I'm all for bashing Ferrari around,
but I don't think Whiting is a soft touch in this sort of area,
though it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man for the teams to be so
far ahead of the officials in terms of technology that they can pull
the wool over their eyes.
But personally I trust Whiting.
I used to and I think that he's likely /relatively/ honourable (within the
mandates of the FIA). However, as you mention above this is cutting-edge
technology and he's only as good as his advisors. The best FIA officials are
being poached by the teams.... Which makes me wonder, did the guy that
Ferrari poached last year discover their tricky ES, go to them about it and
get offered something like a 500k Euro a year for five years contract?
Enough to retire on...

I can just imagine Maurizio saying "I have two contracts in mind for you -
which one would you prefer? You can retire in 5 years or we can 'retire you'
now." ;-)