that was embarrassing
2019-08-04 17:48:17 UTC
The distance between Hamilton/Verstappen and the rest of the field (adjusted for that last fast lap pit stop) was just sad. Ferrari looked like an also ran and the also rans just looked sad. Gasly in particular was disapointing, I had thought he was catching up after the British GP, but Germany and Hungary say otherwise.
Dan the Man
2019-08-04 19:13:19 UTC
The most startling thing was to see Hamilton lapping his own teammate - not the best of days for Bottas!
~misfit~
2019-08-05 03:00:22 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by John
The distance between Hamilton/Verstappen and the rest of the field (adjusted for that last fast lap pit stop) was just sad. Ferrari looked like an also ran and the also rans just looked sad. Gasly in particular was disapointing, I had thought he was catching up after the British GP, but Germany and Hungary say otherwise.
The most startling thing was to see Hamilton lapping his own teammate - not the best of days for Bottas!
After being supportive of Bottas I'm starting to think that he just doesn't have that last 5% that
a really great driver has. He got quite stuck trying to pass midfielders while Hamilton showed the
car was well able to hunt down and pass the front runners.

For the last 20-odd laps of the race the Mercs were on similar tyres yet Bottas took ages to get
past Norris who was on hards and then got stuck behind Kimi whose medium tyres were 15 laps older
than Bottas'. Time for him to move over for Ocon methinks.

2019-08-05 05:31:06 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by John
The distance between Hamilton/Verstappen and the rest of the field (adjusted for that last fast lap pit stop) was just sad. Ferrari looked like an also ran and the also rans just looked sad. Gasly in particular was disapointing, I had thought he was catching up after the British GP, but Germany and Hungary say otherwise.
The most startling thing was to see Hamilton lapping his own teammate - not the best of days for Bottas!
After being supportive of Bottas I'm starting to think that he just doesn't have that last 5% that
a really great driver has. He got quite stuck trying to pass midfielders while Hamilton showed the
car was well able to hunt down and pass the front runners.
That's been obvious for a while.

I'd say Ricciardo is the best driver who could be tempted into the second Mercedes seat.
Stephen Cole
2019-08-05 07:41:15 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Dan the Man
Post by John
The distance between Hamilton/Verstappen and the rest of the field
(adjusted for that last fast lap pit stop) was just sad. Ferrari
looked like an also ran and the also rans just looked sad. Gasly in
particular was disapointing, I had thought he was catching up after
the British GP, but Germany and Hungary say otherwise.
The most startling thing was to see Hamilton lapping his own teammate -
not the best of days for Bottas!
After being supportive of Bottas I'm starting to think that he just
doesn't have that last 5% that
a really great driver has. He got quite stuck trying to pass midfielders
while Hamilton showed the
car was well able to hunt down and pass the front runners.
That's been obvious for a while.
I'd say Ricciardo is the best driver who could be tempted into the second Mercedes seat.
Don’t you think that Verstappen could be tempted to jump ship? I’m sure
Mercedes would pay whatever RBR wanted to break his contract. The only
question is whether Lewis would freak out about having Max in the same car
as him... (LOL)
--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
John
As discussed in another thread, why would he want to play second fiddle?
~misfit~
2019-08-05 09:45:53 UTC
Post by Stephen Cole
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Dan the Man
Post by John
[...]
Now Honda have been through their tough years and Adrian's gone through his America's Cup / Aston
Martin phase why would anyone want to walk away from a Newey-designed car with a factory-backed
front-running PU? Especially when you've got the full backing of the team as pre-eminent driver...

We know what Vettel achieved with the full backing of RBR when they were (basically) a
factory-backed PU manufacturer team.

2019-08-05 09:37:59 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Dan the Man
Post by John
The distance between Hamilton/Verstappen and the rest of the field (adjusted for that last fast lap pit stop) was just sad. Ferrari looked like an also ran and the also rans just looked sad. Gasly in particular was disapointing, I had thought he was catching up after the British GP, but Germany and Hungary say otherwise.
The most startling thing was to see Hamilton lapping his own teammate - not the best of days for Bottas!
After being supportive of Bottas I'm starting to think that he just doesn't have that last 5% that
a really great driver has. He got quite stuck trying to pass midfielders while Hamilton showed the
car was well able to hunt down and pass the front runners.
That's been obvious for a while.
Yeah... I've been generous and his good start to this season made me think that I was right to be
so. However now not so much.
Post by Bruce Hoult
I'd say Ricciardo is the best driver who could be tempted into the second Mercedes seat.
I still think Ocon will surprise quite a few people given the chance. Ricciardo is very good but
he's not that young anymore and IMO Mercedes should be grooming a young driver to see them through
when Hamilton retires (or drops off form).

2019-08-07 13:18:16 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by John
The distance between Hamilton/Verstappen and the rest of the field (adjusted for that last fast lap pit stop) was just sad. Ferrari looked like an also ran and the also rans just looked sad. Gasly in particular was disapointing, I had thought he was catching up after the British GP, but Germany and Hungary say otherwise.
The most startling thing was to see Hamilton lapping his own teammate - not the best of days for Bottas!
Well it pretty much started right after the start :-)
Bottas moved over for hamilton, although there was no reason to do
so, afaik. Bottas lost a part of his front wing there and a little later
he collided with LeClerc where he lost another part...
Indeed not his best performance ever.
Bigbird
2019-08-07 13:25:34 UTC
Post by Edmund
Post by Dan the Man
Post by John
The distance between Hamilton/Verstappen and the rest of the
field (adjusted for that last fast lap pit stop) was just sad.
Ferrari looked like an also ran and the also rans just looked
sad. Gasly in particular was disapointing, I had thought he was
catching up after the British GP, but Germany and Hungary say
otherwise.
The most startling thing was to see Hamilton lapping his own
teammate - not the best of days for Bottas!
Well it pretty much started right after the start :-)
Bottas moved over for hamilton, although there was no reason to do
so, afaik. Bottas lost a part of his front wing there
A less prejudiced observer might be able to join those dots.
Post by Edmund
and a little
later he collided with LeClerc where he lost another part...
Indeed not his best performance ever.
--
Trump fact check:
5,000 false claims in the first 117 weeks.