OT: Trashy soap opera
2018-10-06 20:43:57 UTC
I remember an era in politics when a quiet committee or cabinet get-together, or even a prime ministerial cup of tea, might involve laying a gentle hand on someone's shoulder and murmuring "I think it's about time for you to step aside old chap, don't you? Thank you so much."

There, all done and dusted and "no crockery broken".

And the media would hear later that week that so-and-so had been thinking of returning to family life or company life or charity work. I can think of several high-ranking British figures who had been up to naughtier antics than Kavanaugh, taking that civilized route.

US politics today is a trashy 'real-life' soap opera, devoid of dignity and self respect.
build
2018-10-06 21:10:48 UTC
I remember an era in politics when a quiet committee or cabinet get-together, or even a prime ministerial cup of tea, might involve laying a gentle hand on someone's shoulder and murmuring "I think it's about time for you to step aside old chap, don't you? Thank you so much."
There, all done and dusted and "no crockery broken".
And the media would hear later that week that so-and-so had been thinking of returning to family life or company life or charity work. I can think of several high-ranking British figures who had been up to naughtier antics than Kavanaugh, taking that civilized route.
HUH ! ! !
Jumping to conclusions or what !
or is he guilty until proven innocent?
Sad.
bra
2018-10-06 21:49:39 UTC
I remember an era in politics when a quiet committee or cabinet get-together, or even a prime ministerial cup of tea, might involve laying a gentle hand on someone's shoulder and murmuring "I think it's about time for you to step aside old chap, don't you? Thank you so much."
There, all done and dusted and "no crockery broken".
And the media would hear later that week that so-and-so had been thinking of returning to family life or company life or charity work. I can think of several high-ranking British figures who had been up to naughtier antics than Kavanaugh, taking that civilized route.
HUH ! ! !
Jumping to conclusions or what !
or is he guilty until proven innocent?
Not a question of guilt. It's a question of party and government damage.

My reference applies, and historically has applied, equally to loose cannons whose situation, deserved or not, makes them a problem for the party or the prime minister/president.

"Sorry, chum, whether it's true or not doesn't matter to me, we really can't have you around any more. 'Bye!"
build
2018-10-06 22:04:50 UTC
[...]
You are avoiding the fact that *you* made a false slanderous accusation.

Do you have shoulders?

2018-10-06 22:39:09 UTC
You are avoiding the fact that *you* made a false slanderous accusation.
Do you have shoulders?
Yes, I implied that Kavanaugh had at some time been up to "antics", and if he's man he'll acknowledge it.

The Republican George W. Bush candidly said, while President, "When I was young and irresponsible, I was young and irresponsible."

I find it weird that a lifelong Supreme Court seat, or its equivalent in other nation states, would be granted to a man who had attracted such widespread and damaging attention ---- guilty or not. The Supreme Court's decisions from now on are, effectively, compromised in the eyes of the western world. That's why I posted in the first place.

"I'm sorry, pal, but the Party wouldn't touch you now you with a ten-foot barge pole."
build
2018-10-06 23:13:13 UTC
You are avoiding the fact that *you* made a false slanderous accusation.
Do you have shoulders?
Yes, I implied that Kavanaugh had at some time been up to "antics", and if he's man he'll acknowledge it.
That is disappointing. I thought you had shoulders.
bra
2018-10-07 00:11:58 UTC
That is disappointing. I thought you had shoulders.
You'll have to explain to the forum what you mean by "shoulders".

Would a smart leader hire or appoint a corporate or political hot potato who will attract negative attention for years to come?

I think it a mistake that Trump kept the man on his list --- most pragmatic PMs and Presidents would have retracted their nomination and quietly dropped the guy, with minimum or no comment, weeks ago.
fnot
Party yes men perhaps. Re: CCCP
bra
2018-10-07 01:57:07 UTC
Post by fnot
Party yes men perhaps. Re: CCCP
CCCP, Democrats, GOP, the list alas is endless.

The same bunch of crawlers and yes-persons live palely under different gang initials.

How Bill Clinton was allowed to remain as President after his sexual antics is utterly beyond me!

Only God, and some conservative pals in the UK know what Boris Johnson has done that would debar him from most civilized gatherings.

Henry Kissinger laughed that 'power is the ultimate aphrodisiac', but nobody was sure whether the un-beautiful statesman meant women being drawn to him, or himself privately enjoying those feelings.

Mao Tse-Tung and his personal doctor admitted to benefiting from that same aphrodisiac, though Jack Kennedy did not live to the best-sellerdom that would have told everyone of his goatish behaviour --- though his underlings and victims made money from their revelations.

rasf1 seems to treat objectors as parish prudes. On the whole I agree with Harold MacMillan who warned his colleagues that Profumo's set lived in a raffish bohemian society that is best avoided.
Bigbird
2018-10-07 11:03:46 UTC
You are avoiding the fact that you made a false slanderous
accusation.
Do you have shoulders?
Yes, I implied that Kavanaugh had at some time been up to "antics",
and if he's man he'll acknowledge it.
That is disappointing. I thought you had shoulders.
If you kept up with the news you would know what an arse you arer
making of yourself with your false allegations.

Self righteous prick.
Bruce Hoult
2018-10-06 23:59:38 UTC
You are avoiding the fact that *you* made a false slanderous accusation.
Do you have shoulders?
Yes, I implied that Kavanaugh had at some time been up to "antics", and if he's man he'll acknowledge it.
The Republican George W. Bush candidly said, while President, "When I was young and irresponsible, I was young and irresponsible."
I find it weird that a lifelong Supreme Court seat, or its equivalent in other nation states, would be granted to a man who had attracted such widespread and damaging attention ---- guilty or not. The Supreme Court's decisions from now on are, effectively, compromised in the eyes of the western world. That's why I posted in the first place.
"I'm sorry, pal, but the Party wouldn't touch you now you with a ten-foot barge pole."
Do you seriously imagine that if Kavanaugh was withdrawn similar accusations would not be made against the next 100 candidates Trump put up?

"US politics today is a trashy 'real-life' soap opera, devoid of dignity and self respect."

Very true.
Alan Baker
Was a similar accusation made against Gorsuch?
Bruce Hoult
2018-10-07 01:59:58 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
[...]
Yes.

Gorusch was accused of sexist hiring practices: https://thinkprogress.org/scotus-nominee-neil-gorusch-faces-extraordinary-sexism-allegation-from-former-student-12db30861802

He was accused of being a racist: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/neil-gorsuch-apartheid-protests-donald-trump-supreme-court-nominee-scotus-a7556706.html

He was accused of being against women's rights: https://www.syracuse.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/01/schumer_gorsuch_supreme_court.html

He is still accused of "stealing" the seat from Garland.

Democrats Schumer and Warren (at least) tried to stall the nomination on the specious grounds that the president was being investigates for collusion with Russia.

He was accused of being a date rape apologist: https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-judiciary/325523-gorsuchs-critics-running-out-of-arguments-falsely-scream

He was accused of plagiarism: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/that-gorsuch-plagiarism-story-stinks/article/2619420

He was accused of being unsuitable because he as a joke founded a club called "Fascism Forever" while at school: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html

Sure, it all wasn't as ugly as the current shit fight, but any argument that he walked into the supreme court is a blatant lie.
Alan Baker
2018-10-08 21:41:40 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Bruce Hoult
[...]
I'm pretty up on the news.

When did the SENATE spend any time on that accusation?

Etc.
Post by Bruce Hoult
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/neil-gorsuch-apartheid-protests-donald-trump-supreme-court-nominee-scotus-a7556706.html
https://www.syracuse.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/01/schumer_gorsuch_supreme_court.html
He is still accused of "stealing" the seat from Garland.
He didn't.

But the Republicans certainly did.
Post by Bruce Hoult
Democrats Schumer and Warren (at least) tried to stall the nomination
on the specious grounds that the president was being investigates for
collusion with Russia.
That's not specious.

He really IS being investigated.
Post by Bruce Hoult
https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-judiciary/325523-gorsuchs-critics-running-out-of-arguments-falsely-scream
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/that-gorsuch-plagiarism-story-stinks/article/2619420
He was accused of being unsuitable because he as a joke founded a
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4182852/Trump-s-SCOTUS-pick-founded-club-called-Fascism-Forever.html
Again, were those accusations taken up in the Senate?
Post by Bruce Hoult
Sure, it all wasn't as ugly as the current shit fight, but any
argument that he walked into the supreme court is a blatant lie.
None of your links suggest the Senate even discussed any of those
allegations.

So my original question stands.

Bigbird
2018-10-07 11:09:22 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by bra
[...]
I don't think it is the allegations that have done the damage; it is
his perjury, misrepresentation, misleading statements and temperament
in response. A long way from the whole truth.
MT2
Just wait until he's finished reading Trump's "idiot guide to Twitter"
geoff
2018-10-07 00:46:20 UTC
[...]
Guilty or not he comes across now as a vicious arsehole.

geoff
Calum
2018-10-07 12:04:05 UTC
HUH ! ! !
Jumping to conclusions or what !
or is he guilty until proven innocent?
Doesn't matter. It was a job interview, not a trial. And if I behaved
like that in a job interview, I'd be shown the door immediately.
Alan Baker
It was never a situation where "innocent until proven guilty" applied.
MT2