Qualli
2019-04-28 09:00:37 UTC
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?

And not sure which Merc got out first, but you would think the driver
with the (so far) quickest time would be the one to the the (relatively)
clearer run by getting out first.

2019-04-28 14:19:06 UTC
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?
And not sure which Merc got out first, but you would think the driver
with the (so far) quickest time would be the one to the the (relatively)
clearer run by getting out first.
Smart work by Mercedes - they didn’t want to give Vettel a tow, which can
be worth a lot at Baku. Bottas was out first. This meant that he could
prepare his tyres better but might give Hamilton a tow. Unfortunately for
Lewis he lost a little time and wasn’t able to exploit this whilst Valtteri
got some tow from another car.
2019-04-28 16:26:33 UTC
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?
And not sure which Merc got out first, but you would think the driver
with the (so far) quickest time would be the one to the the
(relatively) clearer run by getting out first.
Actually, more often than not, provisional pole runs last.
--
Trump fact check:
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
Out Cider
2019-04-29 06:59:39 UTC
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?
Baku is one of the few tracks where getting a tow actually may help
drivers. Alfa Romeo did pretty much the same thing to get good tow to
the final, long straight.
OutCider
larkim
2019-04-29 08:51:09 UTC
Post by Out Cider
Post by geoff
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?
Baku is one of the few tracks where getting a tow actually may help
drivers. Alfa Romeo did pretty much the same thing to get good tow to
the final, long straight.
--
OutCider
Funny wasn't it how Bottas managed to manage his gap and warm his tyres.

But Hamilton's quali was compromised by being unable to warm his tyres up?

It did seem to me that both of them had more or less identical opportunities
to get sorted. It's just that Hamilton stuffed up his.
Out Cider
2019-04-29 12:23:57 UTC
Post by Out Cider
Post by geoff
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?
Baku is one of the few tracks where getting a tow actually may help
drivers. Alfa Romeo did pretty much the same thing to get good tow to
the final, long straight.
--
OutCider
Funny wasn't it how Bottas managed to manage his gap and warm his tyres.
But Hamilton's quali was compromised by being unable to warm his tyres up?
It did seem to me that both of them had more or less identical opportunities
to get sorted. It's just that Hamilton stuffed up his.
Calling a difference of 50 milliseconds "stuffing up" his opposrtunities
is more than a bit harsh. Either one could have been on pole.
OutCider
Mark Jackson
2019-04-29 14:08:36 UTC
Post by Out Cider
Post by larkim
Post by Out Cider
Post by geoff
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack
for the last run ?
Baku is one of the few tracks where getting a tow actually may
help drivers. Alfa Romeo did pretty much the same thing to get
good tow to the final, long straight.
-- OutCider
Funny wasn't it how Bottas managed to manage his gap and warm his tyres.
But Hamilton's quali was compromised by being unable to warm his tyres up?
It did seem to me that both of them had more or less identical
opportunities to get sorted. It's just that Hamilton stuffed up
his.
Calling a difference of 50 milliseconds "stuffing up" his
opposrtunities is more than a bit harsh. Either one could have been
on pole.
Hamilton lost time in the first sector; otherwise he would have had
pole. It appeared to me that his tire warmup might have been
compromised near the end of his out lap by the need to get to the s/f
line before time ran out; as the next-to-last runner Bottas had more
latitude.
In macroeconomics, falsified theories never die, and their
proponents often don't acknowledge empirical failures.
- Noah Smith
~misfit~
2019-04-30 04:43:47 UTC
While wearing a T-shirt that said "Usenet will Never Die" Mark Jackson
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Out Cider
Post by larkim
Post by Out Cider
Post by geoff
[...]
Thanks. I was going to say that too. He only made the line by a few seconds
and Bottas slowed considerably before the final turn to give himself enough
of a gap so that he didn't catch the slower cars on his flying lap. This
left Hamilton hung out to dry a bit and unable to get heat into his tyres
for the start of his flaying lap as he need to be sure to get to the line in
time so couldn't weave much. (He didn't need a big gap to the next car like
Bottas did as he fully expected Bottas to be fast.)

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
larkim
2019-04-29 15:07:37 UTC
Post by Out Cider
Post by larkim
Post by Out Cider
Post by geoff
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?
Baku is one of the few tracks where getting a tow actually may help
drivers. Alfa Romeo did pretty much the same thing to get good tow to
the final, long straight.
--
OutCider
Funny wasn't it how Bottas managed to manage his gap and warm his tyres.
But Hamilton's quali was compromised by being unable to warm his tyres up?
It did seem to me that both of them had more or less identical opportunities
to get sorted. It's just that Hamilton stuffed up his.
Calling a difference of 50 milliseconds "stuffing up" his opposrtunities
is more than a bit harsh. Either one could have been on pole.
--
OutCider
He was the fastest of anyone in S2 and S3 on his final lap. He stuffed
things up by being 0.3s down in the first sector. i.e. he made sufficient
errors to prevent him from being able to take pole.

Bottas was able to get a good S1 time, Hamilton wasn't. That was the
difference between them, and Hamilton's gap to Bottas in that first sector
(which was it seems to me Hamilton's fault) was the reason he failed to
achieve pole.
larkim
2019-04-29 11:20:16 UTC
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?
And not sure which Merc got out first, but you would think the driver
with the (so far) quickest time would be the one to the the (relatively)
clearer run by getting out first.
geoff
btw, I was unclear about this from the quali highlights package that I
saw - was Leclerc on a hot lap when he crashed? In terms of the way it was
edited together, it felt like he had just finished his hotlap when he
crashed, but noone else has commented, so I suspect it was just a bit of
temporal distortion as they edited out a quiet part of Q2. But just wanted
to check.
Brian Lawrence
2019-04-29 14:14:39 UTC
btw, I was unclear about this from the quali highlights package that I
saw - was Leclerc on a hot lap when he crashed? In terms of the way it was
edited together, it felt like he had just finished his hotlap when he
crashed, but noone else has commented, so I suspect it was just a bit of
temporal distortion as they edited out a quiet part of Q2. But just wanted
to check.
The C4 highlights jumped from 10:03 in Q2 to 07:49 which was when the
yellow flag appeared for Leclerc's accident. His best lap ended about
35s before the edit, and he stayed out for a slow, regeneration lap,
which lasted nearly 2 minutes (1'59.449), so he was about 1m into a
2nd hot lap on the same tyres.
larkim
2019-04-29 15:08:34 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by larkim
btw, I was unclear about this from the quali highlights package that I
saw - was Leclerc on a hot lap when he crashed? In terms of the way it was
edited together, it felt like he had just finished his hotlap when he
crashed, but noone else has commented, so I suspect it was just a bit of
temporal distortion as they edited out a quiet part of Q2. But just wanted
to check.
The C4 highlights jumped from 10:03 in Q2 to 07:49 which was when the
yellow flag appeared for Leclerc's accident. His best lap ended about
35s before the edit, and he stayed out for a slow, regeneration lap,
which lasted nearly 2 minutes (1'59.449), so he was about 1m into a
2nd hot lap on the same tyres.
Thanks Brian. I imagined as much, but didn't get round to re-watching.

The absence of commentary about a crash on a cool down lap should really
have told me all I needed to know!
Bigbird
2019-04-29 15:01:55 UTC
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for
the last run ?
And not sure which Merc got out first, but you would think the
driver with the (so far) quickest time would be the one to the the
(relatively) clearer run by getting out first.
geoff
btw, I was unclear about this from the quali highlights package that
I saw - was Leclerc on a hot lap when he crashed? In terms of the
way it was edited together, it felt like he had just finished his
hotlap when he crashed, but noone else has commented, so I suspect it
was just a bit of temporal distortion as they edited out a quiet part
of Q2. But just wanted to check.
Previous lap was just under 2 mins which suggests it was a cool down
lap before a second try at a hot lap.
~misfit~
2019-04-30 04:51:41 UTC
WTF were Merc thinking putting their two out behind the pack for the
last run ?
And not sure which Merc got out first, but you would think the driver
with the (so far) quickest time would be the one to the the
(relatively) clearer run by getting out first.
Merc tried to get them out sooner but after Valterri left the garage Lewis
was held for quite a while as several other cars were going past. Valterri
waited at the end of the pit lane until Hamilton was behind him before he
left the pits. This left them dangerously close to not being able to warm
their tyres enough on their out lap *and* get to the S/F line in time to
start their flying laps. In fact Lewis' tyre warming was compromised hence
the slow start to his qually lap.

So it was a Mercedes / Valterri's team error (?) sending Valterri out when
other cars were coming down the pit lane to block Hamilton - he should have
been out 3 seconds sooner. Also Mercedes tend to alternate who goes first in
qualifying from session to session - or sometimes grand prix to grand prix.

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
Out Cider
2019-05-02 12:30:32 UTC
Merc tried to get them out sooner but after Valterri left the garage Lewis
was held for quite a while as several other cars were going past. Valterri
waited at the end of the pit lane until Hamilton was behind him before he
left the pits.
Valtteri. Two t's, one r.

Regards,
- Granma Nutsy