Portuguese GP confirmed and to be announced tomorrow
Add Reply
Vasco Costa
2020-07-23 22:52:03 UTC
It is all over the news here as confirmed now. Not only as a rumour
anymore but as a fact in pretty much all respected press.

It will be announced officially tomorrow at the Portimao circuit in
Algarve by government officials and should be announced by Liberty Media
in the afternoon.

Heineken is going to be the main sponsor and an attendance of 30 to 60%
is on the table if possible. It will take place on the 25th of October.

As a Portuguese who went to the last race at Estoril in 1996, this is a
dream come true 24 years later. :)
--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsports, science,
technology, travelling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.

Gopher hole: gopher://gopher.geeksphere.tk/
D Munz
2020-07-24 14:03:50 UTC
Post by Vasco Costa
It is all over the news here as confirmed now. Not only as a rumour
anymore but as a fact in pretty much all respected press.
It will be announced officially tomorrow at the Portimao circuit in
Algarve by government officials and should be announced by Liberty Media
in the afternoon.
Heineken is going to be the main sponsor and an attendance of 30 to 60%
is on the table if possible. It will take place on the 25th of October.
As a Portuguese who went to the last race at Estoril in 1996, this is a
dream come true 24 years later. :)
--
Vasco Costa
AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsports, science,
technology, travelling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.
Gopher hole: gopher://gopher.geeksphere.tk/
That's a long wait! I hope it all works out and they are open for fans.

Any good news these days.

Vasco Costa
2020-07-25 07:40:33 UTC
Post by D Munz
That's a long wait! I hope it all works out and they are open for fans.
Indeed. It's open for fans and I've managed to book a couple of tickets
for me and the wife. :)

~misfit~
2020-07-26 02:23:21 UTC
Post by Vasco Costa
Post by D Munz
That's a long wait! I hope it all works out and they are open for fans.
Indeed. It's open for fans and I've managed to book a couple of tickets
for me and the wife. :)
Grats! I hope that you enjoy it, I'm sure you will. Every cloud has a silver lining...

2020-07-26 06:04:02 UTC
Grats!
?
Post by ~misfit~
Every cloud has a silver lining...
Not from you. You negative bitch.
2020-07-24 20:30:33 UTC
Post by Vasco Costa
It is all over the news here as confirmed now. Not only as a rumour
anymore but as a fact in pretty much all respected press.
It will be announced officially tomorrow at the Portimao circuit in
Algarve by government officials and should be announced by Liberty Media
in the afternoon.
Heineken is going to be the main sponsor and an attendance of 30 to 60%
is on the table if possible. It will take place on the 25th of October.
As a Portuguese who went to the last race at Estoril in 1996, this is a
dream come true 24 years later. :)
Why not Estoril this time, or is it no longer viable?
Vasco Costa
2020-07-25 07:43:01 UTC
Why not Estoril this time, or is it no longer viable?
Estoril is also grade 1 and the track is still pretty nice. However, the
surrounding infrastructure shows its age and simply there's no physical
space in the paddock area for the modern F1 circus.

Michael Gooding
2020-07-25 11:17:53 UTC
And Nurburgring too! Or am I getting carried away?
Sir Tim
2020-07-25 21:34:44 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
And Nurburgring too! Or am I getting carried away?
Indeed you are not. The Eifel GP is due to take place at the Nurburgring on
11th October.
Michael Gooding
2020-07-26 18:50:36 UTC
That is brilliant. I wonder if any of the current drivers gave any experience of Nurburgring, Portimao, Imola and the third Italian circuit. Could be a leveller of sorts.

Mike Gooding
Brian Lawrence
2020-08-03 10:34:59 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
That is brilliant. I wonder if any of the current drivers gave any experience of Nurburgring, Portimao, Imola and the third Italian circuit. Could be a leveller of sorts.
The 'ring last held a GP in 2013 - Vettel, Raikkonen, Grosjean,
Hamilton, Perez, Ricciardo & Bottas took part.

Perez raced at Portimao in GP2.

Sainz & Kvyat raced at the 'ring in GP3.

Kvyat & Albon have raced at Mugello.

Norris won at the 'ring in F3 Euro.

Albon, Leclerc, Giovinazzi, Russell & Stroll at Portimao & Nurburgring
(F3 Euro).

Verstappen F3 Euro at Nurburgring - also Giovinazzi, Latifi & Ocon;
all 4 also raced at Imola in same year (2014).

Magnussen raced at the Nurburgring in 2012 F Renault 3.5, as did Gasly
in 2014 (he also raced at Imola in 2013).

Kvyat Imola F Renault 2012 - also Imola.

Stroll Imola F3 Euro 2016.

HAM raced at Nurburgring & Imola in GP2.
Michael Gooding
2020-08-03 14:58:57 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by Michael Gooding
[...]
Thanks. So quite a few then! I was forgetting all the FP2/3 races. I was hoping they could use the full Nurburgring, but one of the Youtubers says it wouldn't take modern F1 cars as they're too fast. Also the cars would get spaced out and there would be even less overtaking, plus spectators like to be able to see most of the track, plus difficult access for emergency vehicles. It would be pretty exciting to see them all vanish into the woods and speculate what order they'd come out in, but you can't have everything.
Mike Gooding
Darryl Johnson
2020-08-03 15:56:27 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by Michael Gooding
[...]
I was at the GP in the original Hockenheim many years ago. Back when
the cars disappeared into the forest (instead of the current hairpin)
and it seemed like an eternity before they came back again.

When the crowd could hear the engines coming, they'd all stand up and
push forward to see. There'd be a parade of cars roaring by and then
silence. We'd all relax, return to our beer and bratwurst and wait for
the parade to return.

Quite frankly, it was all pretty boring. I couldn't image being a
spectator at the original Nurburgring. Not only *way* too long a time
before cars came past, but way fewer laps to see them.

They do run endurance races at the old 'ring, so I would expect that
emergency vehicles would not be an issue if they were to try an F1
race. One assumes that the endurance people would have some
arrangements to deal with accidents and cars off the road.

Halmyre
2020-08-03 08:28:05 UTC
Slightly baffled as to why it's not being called the German Grand Prix. I assume the rights to that name belong elsewhere?
Brian Lawrence
2020-08-03 11:09:58 UTC
Post by Halmyre
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Michael Gooding
And Nurburgring too! Or am I getting carried away?
Indeed you are not. The Eifel GP is due to take place at the Nurburgring on
11th October.
Slightly baffled as to why it's not being called the German Grand Prix. I assume the rights to that name belong elsewhere?
I'm guessing that since the German GP was dropped from the original
calendar, it's thought better to use a new name, although it does
have some similarity with the Eifelrennen held in that area since
the 1920s.

The German GP has always been organised by the AvD (Automobilclub von
Deutschland), and is the German member of the FIA. Their rival club,
the ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club), organised the
European GPs held at the Nurburgring.

The Nurburgring will be hosting a GP under a fourth different name
after German, European & Luxembourg.
Mark Jackson
2020-08-03 12:10:30 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by Halmyre
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Michael Gooding
And Nurburgring too! Or am I getting carried away?
Indeed you are not. The Eifel GP is due to take place at the
Nurburgring on
11th October.
Slightly baffled as to why it's not being called the German Grand
Prix. I assume the rights to that name belong elsewhere?
I'm guessing that since the German GP was dropped from the original
calendar, it's thought better to use a new name, although it does
have some similarity with the Eifelrennen held in that area since
the 1920s.
The German GP has always been organised by the AvD (Automobilclub von
Deutschland), and is the German member of the FIA. Their rival
club, the ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club), organised the
European GPs held at the Nurburgring.
Indeed. "The Russian GP will be a standalone event at the end of
September and there will then be the Grand Prix of the Eifel at the
Nurburging on October 9-11. This cannot be the German Grand Prix as the
rights to the event are owned by the Automobilclub von Deutschland
(AvD), which runs its races at Hockenheim."

https://www.joeblogsf1.com/joesaward/id/00786
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter
of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins