Mald.... ooops Max's penalty
2018-09-03 02:25:39 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.

2018-09-03 03:44:05 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.
geoff
There was *always* going to be an incident. Max even chose to keep Bottas
behind him at the cost of defending fourth place from Vettel. He's an angry
driver.

2018-09-03 09:20:14 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.
geoff
There was *always* going to be an incident. Max even chose to keep Bottas
behind him at the cost of defending fourth place from Vettel. He's an angry
driver.
Max convinced himself that he had left Bottas room (wonder whether he still
thought so after seeing the video?) and was certainly angry about the
penalty but he showed his immaturity by allowing it to get to him. The
obvious thing to do was surely to let Bottas past, pick up some tow and
channel his anger into maintaining a 5 second gap between himself and
Vettel thus giving himself and his team a couple of extra points.
Easy to say when sitting in an armchair of course :-)
2018-09-03 09:23:17 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.
geoff
There was *always* going to be an incident. Max even chose to keep Bottas
behind him at the cost of defending fourth place from Vettel. He's an angry
driver.
Max convinced himself that he had left Bottas room (wonder whether he still
thought so after seeing the video?) and was certainly angry about the
penalty but he showed his immaturity by allowing it to get to him. The
obvious thing to do was surely to let Bottas past, pick up some tow and
channel his anger into maintaining a 5 second gap between himself and
Vettel thus giving himself and his team a couple of extra points.
Easy to say when sitting in an armchair of course :-)
Or let BOT past, then overtake him. Admittedly not a likely outcome.

2018-09-03 11:25:09 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.
geoff
There was *always* going to be an incident. Max even chose to keep Bottas
behind him at the cost of defending fourth place from Vettel. He's an angry
driver.
Max convinced himself that he had left Bottas room (wonder whether he still
thought so after seeing the video?) and was certainly angry about the
penalty but he showed his immaturity by allowing it to get to him. The
obvious thing to do was surely to let Bottas past, pick up some tow and
channel his anger into maintaining a 5 second gap between himself and
Vettel thus giving himself and his team a couple of extra points.
Easy to say when sitting in an armchair of course :-)
I do love how self-righteous drivers can be. I'm sure Max intended to leave
a car's width for Bottas when he positioned his car - the problem at
220mph he mis-measured mentally by probably about a foot or so and so ended
up with the penalty.

But in his mind it's simply the fact that he *intended* to leave enough room
which ought to get him off without a penalty.
Edmund
2018-09-03 15:33:04 UTC
[...]
Are you a mind reader?

2018-09-03 15:42:42 UTC
Post by Edmund
[...]
I don't know about mind reading, but Verstappen is quoted as saying he
left room and that Bottas moved into him, which is nonsense.

'When informed of the decision over team radio, the Dutchman angrily
suggested the stewards were “killing racing”.

“I gave him a car width of space on the left of me. Then he clipped my
wheel and he had to go straight. I don’t agree with it," Verstappen told
Sky Sports F1 after the race. '

<https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/9/penalty--not-fair--says-verstappen-after-losing-podium.html>

'Verstappen was given a five-second time penalty, which he reacted to
furiously on the radio, and he dropped from third to fifth behind Bottas
and Sebastian Vettel in the final order.

"I gave him [Bottas] plenty of space and if he then drives against my
wheel, I can't do anything about that. But in the end I got a penalty
for it," said Verstappen to Ziggo Sport.

"When he first tried to overtake me I went a bit wide, maybe that's why
they gave it [the penalty] to me. But even then I think it's not fair
because they gave it straight away.

"You are allowed to go back to the left under braking, as long as you
leave enough room for one car. And that's what I did.'

<https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verstappen-blames-bottas-for-unfair-penalty/3170156/?nrt=54>

No, Max: you didn't.
larkim
2018-09-04 05:26:12 UTC
Well, on the radio he said he had given him room (we know he hadn’t).

So either my supposition is correct (that he intended to, but failed due to an error of judgement) or he deliberately hit Bottas (which I don’t find credible).

It’s not mind reading ;-)
Edmund
2018-09-04 14:49:34 UTC
Well, on the radio he said he had given him room (we know he hadn’t).
So either my supposition is correct (that he intended to, but failed due
to an error of judgement) or he deliberately hit Bottas (which I don’t
find credible).
It’s not mind reading ;-)
No it is your opinion, drivers who prefer to take their own teammates out
regardless if going out themselves in order to prevent being overtaken,
that kind of drivers most likely give just enough space to get away -by
the stewards - with it. No doubt they very much prefer not really giving
enough space to anyone.
Mad Max -like one other driver-, fits the description.

Edmund
Heron
2018-09-03 13:31:59 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.
geoff
There was *always* going to be an incident. Max even chose to keep Bottas
behind him at the cost of defending fourth place from Vettel. He's an angry
driver.
Max convinced himself that he had left Bottas room (wonder whether he still
thought so after seeing the video?) and was certainly angry about the
penalty but he showed his immaturity by allowing it to get to him.
Not to mention never fessing up even after an
opportunity to view the footage. But he always
employs the same tactics, whether while driving
or not admitting responsibility after causing
contact. His insufferable act has already gotten
old.
geoff
2018-09-03 23:47:56 UTC
Post by Sir Tim
The
obvious thing to do was surely to let Bottas past, pick up some tow and
channel his anger into maintaining a 5 second gap between himself and
Vettel thus giving himself and his team a couple of extra points.
Easy to say when sitting in an armchair of course :-)
Yes , instead of "OK I thought I'd given enough room, but it seems I
didn't after all", he changes the discussion to "The stewards are
killing racing".

A bit like the tactics of another particular highly opinionated man with
a bizarre hairstyle and small hands.

2018-09-03 04:33:28 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.
Interesting that Dan's DNF was due to a clutch failure. I saw the smoke
coming out of the car and when he stopped thought "that doesn't look like
oil smoke". Before he stopped I thought it may have been vapour / steam but
it was obvious it wasn't when he stopped.

So it was clutch material. I must note that for future reference. It seems
that Red Bulls clutch may not be strong enough for the c-spec 2018 Renault
that is said to be three tenths faster than the b-spec. ;)

2018-09-03 13:02:02 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.
Interesting that Dan's DNF was due to a clutch failure. I saw the smoke
coming out of the car and when he stopped thought "that doesn't look like
oil smoke". Before he stopped I thought it may have been vapour / steam but
it was obvious it wasn't when he stopped.
So it was clutch material.
What are F1 clutches made of ?
DumbedDownUSA
Trump averages eight falsehoods a day; how you doin'?
Geoff May
2018-09-03 20:49:48 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER had
there been no incident.
Interesting that Dan's DNF was due to a clutch failure. I saw the smoke
coming out of the car and when he stopped thought "that doesn't look like
oil smoke". Before he stopped I thought it may have been vapour / steam but
it was obvious it wasn't when he stopped.
So it was clutch material.
What are F1 clutches made of ?
Carbon plates.

Cheers

Geoff.
~misfit~

Light coloured smoke (dust)?
~misfit~
2018-09-04 08:39:27 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER
had there been no incident.
Interesting that Dan's DNF was due to a clutch failure. I saw the
smoke coming out of the car and when he stopped thought "that
doesn't look like oil smoke". Before he stopped I thought it may
have been vapour / steam but it was obvious it wasn't when he
stopped.
So it was clutch material.
What are F1 clutches made of ?
Smoke - obviously.
Light coloured smoke (dust)?
Yeah something like that. Dan said "I got smoke, I got smoke" and he was in
a prime position to see what was going on.

Carbon fibre dust is very black.
keefy
2018-09-04 20:07:27 UTC
Would have been interesting to see if BOT could have got past VER
had there been no incident.
Interesting that Dan's DNF was due to a clutch failure. I saw the
smoke coming out of the car and when he stopped thought "that
doesn't look like oil smoke". Before he stopped I thought it may
have been vapour / steam but it was obvious it wasn't when he
stopped.
So it was clutch material.
What are F1 clutches made of ?
Smoke - obviously.
Light coloured smoke (dust)?
Yeah something like that. Dan said "I got smoke, I got smoke" and he was in
a prime position to see what was going on.
Carbon fibre dust is very black.
And is the smoke from carbon fibre, perhaps burning, also black or is it
white or another colour? But Renault did not say it was the clutch
itself, rather it was a clutch issue. So it could be thrust bearing,
lubricant, hydraulic oil etc. I am not a chemist so I do not know what
creates white smoke but I would think it is an unusual colour for smoke.
Mark Jackson
2018-09-04 21:29:47 UTC
Post by keefy
Post by build
Carbon fibre dust is very black.
And is the smoke from carbon fibre, perhaps burning, also black or is
it white or another colour? But Renault did not say it was the clutch
itself, rather it was a clutch issue. So it could be thrust bearing,
lubricant, hydraulic oil etc. I am not a chemist so I do not know
what creates white smoke
Popes.
Post by keefy
but I would think it is an unusual colour for smoke.
The deep lesson of the notion of opportunity cost is that
every single second of your life is lived suboptimally.
- Zach Weinersmith
keefy