New Camera
2017-10-28 06:21:37 UTC
G'day,
Did anyone notice the new camera on Valtteri's car in Mexico? (or has it been used before?). Pretty cool anyway.

beers,
Brian W Lawrence
2017-10-28 08:48:53 UTC
G'day,
Did anyone notice the new camera on Valtteri's car in Mexico? (or has it been used before?). Pretty cool anyway.
Haven't seen it, but poss. his helmet cam?

He's used it occasionally since 2013.
build
2017-11-25 11:12:54 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by build
G'day,
Did anyone notice the new camera on Valtteri's car in Mexico? (or has it been used before?). Pretty cool anyway.
Haven't seen it, but poss. his helmet cam?
He's used it occasionally since 2013.
Brian,
No, not a helmet cam.
Lewis had the new camera on his car in FP3 in Abu Dhabi today.
Also a number of cars had them fitted in Brazil.
beers,
Brian W Lawrence
2017-11-26 11:19:00 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by build
G'day,
Did anyone notice the new camera on Valtteri's car in Mexico? (or has it been used before?). Pretty cool anyway.
Haven't seen it, but poss. his helmet cam?
He's used it occasionally since 2013.
Brian,
No, not a helmet cam.
Lewis had the new camera on his car in FP3 in Abu Dhabi today.
Also a number of cars had them fitted in Brazil.
beers,
The only unusual thing I notice is the in-cockpit camera mounted
above the driver's left shoulder - saw it for BOT, SAI & VER,
but not HAM. C4 highlights has 4 ad breaks so may have missed some.
Possibly mounted in the headrest?

Teams are permitted to mount their own cameras anywhere they like,
in order to monitor anything of interest - but only in practice.

The standard, FIA-defined, cameras are mounted in 4 positions -
both wing mirrors (Pos. 1), both sides of nose (Pos. 2), both
sides of airbox (Pos. 3) & top of airbox (Pos. 4). Only P4 is
mandatory.

The standard cameras used to be provided by Gigawave, probably still
are. I also think that they are still SD cameras, but images are
upscaled to HD.
Brian W Lawrence
2017-11-26 15:37:34 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
The only unusual thing I notice is the in-cockpit camera mounted
above the driver's left shoulder - saw it for BOT, SAI & VER,
but not HAM. C4 highlights has 4 ad breaks so may have missed some.
Possibly mounted in the headrest?
Teams are permitted to mount their own cameras anywhere they like,
in order to monitor anything of interest - but only in practice.
Seeing clips of previous races during the build-up today, and some
onboards during today's race it's clear that that camera position has
been in use for some time and not just in practice.