Blueprint Announcement at 10:00am Bahrain time.
2018-04-06 06:23:11 UTC
Just a heads up. Subject says it all.
Brian W Lawrence
2018-04-06 10:16:01 UTC
Just a heads up. Subject says it all.
Maybe tomorrow?
build
2018-04-06 10:24:30 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by build
Just a heads up. Subject says it all.
Maybe tomorrow?
Nah, was today, it has finished. Should be on the usual sites soonish. But, nothing exciting :-(

beers,
~misfit~
2018-04-06 13:09:17 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by build
Just a heads up. Subject says it all.
Maybe tomorrow?
They want noisy cars - never mind the innovation. It's what Americans like
don't you know?

2018-04-06 17:05:15 UTC
They want noisy cars - never mind the innovation. It's what Americans like
don't you know?
I don't think the noise complaint is an American deal. I would say that the vast majority of the American audience has only experienced F1 through the broadcast where the noise is not a real factor.

I do think Liberty are sensitive to the complaints from fans who actually attend the grands prix and the that those complaints are magnified through social media. By that I mean someone who has never actually heard an F1 engine may parrot what is said on Facebook or come to believe that the in-person experience is somehow diluted because of what they read.

If that perception reduces the interest or monitization of F1, then Liberty will be all over it.

2018-04-07 00:16:58 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by ~misfit~
They want noisy cars - never mind the innovation. It's what
Americans like don't you know?
I don't think the noise complaint is an American deal. I would say
that the vast majority of the American audience has only experienced
F1 through the broadcast where the noise is not a real factor.
I do think Liberty are sensitive to the complaints from fans who
actually attend the grands prix and the that those complaints are
magnified through social media. By that I mean someone who has never
actually heard an F1 engine may parrot what is said on Facebook or
come to believe that the in-person experience is somehow diluted
because of what they read.
If that perception reduces the interest or monitization of F1, then
Liberty will be all over it.
Understood.

Have you read Liberty's "Vision"? It's so full of contradictory ideas that
it reads like a wish-list.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/liberty-rules-meeting-2021-brawn-carey-1022191/

They want a "cheap, simple, loud" PU that is still road-relevant and hybrid?
Yeah, road cars are loud, dumping energy out as noise....

The most worrying part is they're talking about standardisation of 'certain
parts' while keeping the cars unique (?). It sounds like they're trying to
turn F1 into an international version of Indycars.

2018-04-08 06:59:06 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by ~misfit~
[...]
I wonder if they're not trying the Max Mosley tactic. This was to suggest something to the teams that you knew they would all not want, and then allow them to have a moment of common sense and unanimity and make a concession that you would have accepted in the first place.

In any event, somebody has to take a position so as to kick off a discussion. And something has to be done about costs.

I hope, though, that they don't make the same mistake that Mosley made: Leave it to a gentleman's agreement between the teams. Whatever they come up with has to become part of the regulations.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-06 17:12:09 UTC
You fucking moron.
Bobster
The complaints about the lack of noise have been pretty consistent since early 2014 IE before Liberty had bought out FOM. Bernie was an early cheer leader for more noise.
build
2018-04-06 10:16:58 UTC
Just a heads up. Subject says it all.
Nothing we haven't heard already. Just waffle like "strategic initiatives" with no specific details.

Although Liberty did admit they need Ferrari which is a relief.
"F1’s unique, historical franchise and value must and will still be recognised."
Bobster
2018-04-06 11:03:33 UTC
Just a heads up. Subject says it all.
Nothing we haven't heard already. Just waffle like "strategic initiatives" with no specific details.
Well, there's the bit about a revenue share for engine suppliers. That's interesting. Does this mean that there will be an Indy style engine manufacturer's championship?

Also the bits about standardised parts (no details provide): "The cars must and will remain different from each other and maintain performance differentiators like aerodynamics, suspensions and PU performance. However, we believe areas not relevant to fans need to be standardised."
Mark Jackson
2018-04-06 14:13:53 UTC
Just a heads up. Subject says it all.
Nothing we haven't heard already. Just waffle like "strategic
initiatives" with no specific details.
"Our grand plan will make everybody happy." Feh.
This quote is often falsely attributed to Mark Twain.
- Randall Munroe