I know it's only testing but...
2018-03-11 16:49:46 UTC
...have there been any big surprises the last few years. Somebody goes into the first race of the season and shows pace way beyond (or behind) what pre-season testing suggested?
News
2018-03-11 18:20:23 UTC
Sandbagging in testing?
bra
2018-03-11 20:02:45 UTC
On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 11:20:26 AM UTC-7, News wrote:

Story from MotoGP gives a refreshing view of race testing. Honda's new rider Franco Morbidelli says "Yes, you have to crash the Honda" in testing, to find its limits. The bike evidently gives nothing away as it approaches the no-return.

Sounds loony, but on reflection, an F1 driver must do something approaching that?

Some manager said "I can take a crazy-fast rookie and teach him a bit of caution, but I can't take a cautious guy and make him fast."

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/134767/marquez-shows-honda-riders-have-to-crash
News
Yeah, my incredulous comment was "Sandbagging?"
t***@gmail.com
2018-03-12 03:10:43 UTC
Yeah, my incredulous comment was "Sandbagging?"
Yup, got it. Move along dipshit.
m***@gmail.com
2018-03-12 02:46:35 UTC
Story from MotoGP gives a refreshing view of race testing. Honda's new rider Franco Morbidelli says "Yes, you have to crash the Honda" in testing, to find its limits. The bike evidently gives nothing away as it approaches the no-return.
Sounds loony, but on reflection, an F1 driver must do something approaching that?
I recall Mansell deliberately over driving his Lola in a pre-season CART test in order to get a feel for when it was going to let go and what it was likely to do.

Though that might just be an old wive's tell (that it told you something, not that he did it) as I don't recall this being that common a practice.

What I'm exploring though, is testing as an indicator of pace.
larkim
2018-03-12 10:39:37 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by bra
Story from MotoGP gives a refreshing view of race testing. Honda's new rider Franco Morbidelli says "Yes, you have to crash the Honda" in testing, to find its limits. The bike evidently gives nothing away as it approaches the no-return.
Sounds loony, but on reflection, an F1 driver must do something approaching that?
I recall Mansell deliberately over driving his Lola in a pre-season CART test in order to get a feel for when it was going to let go and what it was likely to do.
Though that might just be an old wive's tell (that it told you something, not that he did it) as I don't recall this being that common a practice.
What I'm exploring though, is testing as an indicator of pace.
It seems that the journos rarely get the broad order wrong when they
take time to summarise testing and try to equalise for tyres and fuel,
so I'd say testing is broadly a reliable indicator of pace.

I did have a quiet hope that Alonso's final lap in testing (a 1:16:XX) was
actually the McLaren guys having a final day laugh as they unveiled a
"Brawn" type car in relation to the others, but that lap got removed due
to chicane cutting.

So other than that, I think the journalists are fairly well agreed that
the Merc is the fastest, Ferrari not quite as close as last year, RBR closer
to Ferrari after testing.

But of course, we have only a couple of weeks to go now.