LH Lap Record and Fastest Lap
CS
2019-07-15 06:06:33 UTC
To take the fastest lap away from VB on newish soft tyres on 32 lap old hard tyres is amazing and just showed how well how he can look after his tyres. It was also telling that VB couldn't reduce the gap much after his second pit stop. VB would never have won this race irrespective of the LH safety car pit stop. Well done LH side of the garage, and presumably not letting VB side know his strategy.
John
2019-07-15 07:59:05 UTC
That was really odd bit of Merc strategy.
~misfit~
2019-07-15 08:41:59 UTC
Post by John
That was really odd bit of Merc strategy.
Honestly it wasn't and I don't get why the commentary teams (Sky at least) were trying to make it
seem like it was. Once the Red Bulls pitted, then Ferrari (who split their strategy) then Mercedes
had to do the same within a few laps to cover. Bottas was in front so he gets pitted first (even
though Hamilton had been saying his tyres were shot).

Verstappen went medium / medium so was obviously stopping again so Merc did the same with Bottas.
It was a bit early to go onto the hards and do a one-stop.

Not once did the Sky team mention that Hamilton had been left out to cover Vettel. Instead they
went about fomenting outrage by suggesting that Hamilton's side of the garage had given him a
winning strategy over Bottas.

It was a masterclass by Hamilton though, getting fastest lap on tyres that were 2 laps beyond what
Pirelli said was their usable life was very impressive.

2019-07-16 01:11:29 UTC
the commentary teams
your pirated commentary
t***@gmail.com
2019-07-16 23:44:46 UTC
Not once did the Sky team mention
your pirated sky team

Mower Man
2019-07-15 21:33:11 UTC
Post by John
That was really odd bit of Merc strategy.
Read Mark Hughes assessment. It's good.

http://tinyurl.com/yxdjp69h

---
a425couple
2019-07-16 02:13:28 UTC
Post by Mower Man
   That was really odd bit of Merc strategy.
Read Mark Hughes assessment. It's good.
http://tinyurl.com/yxdjp69h
That is a good assessment. Thanks for informing us.
Interesting how he tricked his team mate and his team.

'Hamilton had a plan. The Mercedes team had a plan. But
they weren’t the same plan.' ---

'But Hamilton’s plan wasn’t just to try to do one stop less than
Bottas. He’d decided he was going to run fast right from the start.
“We were supposed to save the tyres at the start,” he related.
“But I went flat out. Because I had the best long run on Friday.
So risked it all, took them by surprise.” And forced Bottas into
using his tyres even harder.' ----

'As DRS was enabled on the third lap, Hamilton began giving
Bottas an even harder time. Inside the car, Bottas was surprised
by Hamilton’s early pace. It went against the pre-race discussion
that morning. Defending into Stowe put Bottas on a compromised line
on the run up to Vale – and he had to defend even harder there.---

Near the end,
'Hamilton was instructed just to nurse it home for the victory.
But this was Hamilton at the British Grand Prix. Instead, he asked
for the engine mode with which to have a go at the fastest lap point.
On 31-lap-old hards with a suspected blister? Surely not. He got
the modes, he let rip on the very last lap ----'
CS
2019-07-16 10:39:47 UTC
Yes, a good assessment in Motor Sport.
Reflecting, I would think that the fastest lap could be a little psychological game over VB - "it doesn't matter what you do, I can still drive faster than you on worn out tyres".
Out Cider
2019-07-15 10:34:23 UTC
Post by CS
To take the fastest lap away from VB on newish soft tyres on 32 lap
old hard tyres is amazing and just showed how well how he can look
after his tyres. It was also telling that VB couldn't reduce the gap
much after his second pit stop. VB would never have won this race
irrespective of the LH safety car pit stop. Well done LH side of the
garage, and presumably not letting VB side know his strategy.
As far as I understand it, neither did LH:s side of the garage. When
they called him in for his second pitstop, he just let them know that
he's good, then went on to win. And take fastest lap.

Valtteri has said after the race that the strategists didn't even
consider a one-stop strategy, it was supposedly completely out of the
question. But Lewis had other things in his mind.

In the Finnish language there is a vernacular term used for excellent
racing drivers, "rattimies". The direct translation is "steering wheel
(ratti) man (mies)", and it is used as a reverential term. With that in
mind, let me just say this: Lewis is a true rattimies.
--
OutCider