Lap 24
2020-09-08 21:35:47 UTC
VER deliberately twitching outward during the corner to force PER off
track and prevent him from getting an inside line for the following
curve (Curva Grande ?).

Acceptable or not ?

2020-09-08 22:19:18 UTC
VER deliberately twitching outward during the corner to force PER off
track and prevent him from getting an inside line for the following
curve (Curva Grande ?).
Acceptable or not ?
geoff
Verstappen got past Perez at the first chicane (at approximately 58
minutes into the video on Formula1's F1TV site), but the camera cut away
before I saw what happened.

Do they give a replay later in the broadcast/video? Tell me where to look.
geoff
2020-09-08 22:58:31 UTC
VER deliberately twitching outward during the corner to force PER off
track and prevent him from getting an inside line for the following
curve (Curva Grande ?).
Acceptable or not ?
geoff
Verstappen got past Perez at the first chicane (at approximately 58
minutes into the video on Formula1's F1TV site), but the camera cut away
before I saw what happened.
Do they give a replay later in the broadcast/video? Tell me where to look.
VER passed PER braking much later into the chicane, then as VER has to
slow harder during the first chicane curve, then PER gets alongside
around the outside (just visible on RHS) as they go to exit the second
curve of the chicane.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.watch-gaslys-early-scare-norris-electric-start-and-more-the-top-10-best.52xzFStycMj1WBXnDdxBML.html

From 05:50 - viewpoints from VER, then from PER

2020-09-08 23:34:10 UTC
[...]
From 05:50 - viewpoints from VER, then from PER
geoff
Well I think you're wrong in claiming that Verstappen deliberately
twitched outward to CAUSE Perez to run off; to me, that looks like he
was catching a little bit of oversteer.

But it doesn't really matter.

Verstappen was definitely entitled to take the inside of the second half
of the chicane, but his trajectory through there was always going to
force Perez off the track, and that he is NOT allowed to do. Even if his
hands never twitch, Perez is always going to run out of room.

Verstappen need to use a little less accelerator so that he could take a
line tight enough to allow Perez to keep all four tires off the gravel...

...and he chose not to do that.