OT: Formula E Rome (spoilers)
2019-04-15 01:28:53 UTC
It was so good to see Mitch Evans finally get a car that he could win in!
The guy is a great driver, consistently out driving his team mates for years
now. (Rumour is that's why Season 1 champion Nelson Piquet left the team -
Mich showed him up at every race and Nelson didn't have the pateince to wait
for the car to come good as he knew he'd still be behind Mitch when it did).

I was laughing at the commentators talking about how good a driver he is.
They've been essentially ingoring him for years because he wasn't running in
the top 5 often. He's always driven like he did in Rome, it's just they
weren't watching him. (One thing I like about F1 is that the commentators
watch the whole field. I find that doesn't hapen in FE or even most lower
formula).

I must admit when the race started and I saw Mitch behind Lotterer I didn't
have high hopes. Lotterer is the hardest man in the field to pass. He's a
real hard man, often shunting other cars into the wall if they're in his way
and I had zero respect for him until this race. I expected him to bad-mouth
Mitch post race and was very pleasantly surprised to hear him say
essentially 'hard but fair' about the pass. He even complimented Mitch!

Congrats to Jaguar for finally giving Mitch a car that could win. I really
hope it wasn't a one-off.

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
t***@gmail.com
Do you pirate Formula E tv coverage too?
CS
2019-04-15 18:45:23 UTC
In UK Formula E is on BBC for free - no need to pirate!!!
Bigbird
2019-04-16 09:21:33 UTC
It was so good to see Mitch Evans finally get a car that he could win in!
A great result but... didn't they finish 2 -1 - 4 (vs qualification).
Qualifying is skewed towards those with less points isn't it? The
formula has come to him. Seven different poles, seven different winners.

He drove well enough but I think you are over egging the achievement.
It is designed to be a very close championship.

NB I was 90% sure he had won just from your subject line, you are very
predictable. :)
--
Trump fact check:
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,857 false claims
That’s the 11th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
~misfit~
2019-04-16 23:12:36 UTC
It was so good to see Mitch Evans finally get a car that he could win in!
A great result but... didn't they finish 2 -1 - 4 (vs qualification).
Qualifying is skewed towards those with less points isn't it?
No. They go out in four groups (six minutes each gruop) which are determined
by position in the championship (so that hopefully nobody's getting too held
up by a much slower car). Then the fastest 6 drivers from the group
qualifyings have a 'shoot out' for starting position where they get just one
flying lap to set a time.
Post by Bigbird
The
formula has come to him. Seven different poles, seven different winners.
Yep, it's very close this year. I would say that the Jag (and some other
cars) has caught up with the traditional front runners.
Post by Bigbird
He drove well enough but I think you are over egging the achievement.
It is designed to be a very close championship.
You're entitled to your opinion. ;-) If you're not familiar with how
Lotterer has driven over the last few years then Mitchs passing him wouldn't
have seemed much. Lotterer really is 'to be avoided'. He's had several
incidents involving his team mate yet alone a driver from another team.

Also the rest of the front runners didn't catch Mitch and Lotterer so this
race in particular wasn't *that* close.
Post by Bigbird
NB I was 90% sure he had won just from your subject line, you are very
predictable. :)
Sorry about that. Mitch was leading this E-prix last year from pole but the
Jag wasn't efficient enough and he ran out of energy so it was good to see
him able to keep and then gain a position.

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
Bigbird
2019-04-17 09:23:23 UTC
It was so good to see Mitch Evans finally get a car that he could win in!
A great result but... didn't they finish 2 -1 - 4 (vs
qualification). Qualifying is skewed towards those with less
points isn't it?
No. They go out in four groups (six minutes each gruop) which are
determined by position in the championship
So later groups get the better track, ordinarily. That would be a "yes"
then.

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/vergne-lottery-qualifying-lotterer-dambrosio/4334993/

Definitely a "yes" then.
Post by ~misfit~
(so that hopefully
nobody's getting too held up by a much slower car).
Lol, nice try but be realistic that is a fake attempt at justification
which simply does not scan.
Post by ~misfit~
Then the fastest
6 drivers from the group qualifyings have a 'shoot out' for starting
position where they get just one flying lap to set a time.
So how many from the first group made the last couple of shootouts?
None.

If I am right highest was 8th in previous race, 12th in this.
The
formula has come to him. Seven different poles, seven different winners.
Yep, it's very close this year.
I wonder why... :)
Post by Bigbird
He drove well enough but I think you are over egging the
achievement. It is designed to be a very close championship.
You're entitled to your opinion. ;-) If you're not familiar with how
Lotterer has driven over the last few years then Mitchs passing him
wouldn't have seemed much. Lotterer really is 'to be avoided'. He's
had several incidents involving his team mate yet alone a driver from
another team.
Also the rest of the front runners didn't catch Mitch
Where did they start... was it at the back of the grid because of the
skewed qualifying (that you claim isn't) Some of them made up 7 or 8
places, partly thanks to accidents but you are asking a lot to expect
them to make up 12 or more places on a street course where there was
very few genuine passes... the winner only made the one pass and you
were pretty impressed with that. Stick the leaders at the back and
surprise, surprise the championship gets closer.
Post by Bigbird
NB I was 90% sure he had won just from your subject line, you are
very predictable. :)
Sorry about that. Mitch was leading this E-prix last year from pole
but the Jag wasn't efficient enough and he ran out of energy so it
was good to see him able to keep and then gain a position.
I'm happy for you. Really :)

Paris next; what chance of Mitch making the shootout?

I would put money on his teammate out qualifying him... unless it rains
during qualifying.

The truth remains that the Formula is skewed towards helping those
further down the championship appear more competitive and those
performing well towards the end of the championship are given a massive
advantage over those performing equally well at the start.

Formula-E wants to be taken seriously but the truth is they play to an
arcade formula rather than a sporting one (Fanboost WTF?). I would
really like to see what those cars and drivers can do. It's a shame
they can't support F1 at some event, like Monaco or Melbourne... even
better an open circuit but that would be too far outside their brief.
~misfit~
2019-04-17 10:51:46 UTC
It was so good to see Mitch Evans finally get a car that he could win in!
A great result but... didn't they finish 2 -1 - 4 (vs
qualification). Qualifying is skewed towards those with less
points isn't it?
No. They go out in four groups (six minutes each gruop) which are
determined by position in the championship
So later groups get the better track, ordinarily. That would be a
"yes" then.
https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/vergne-lottery-qualifying-lotterer-dambrosio/4334993/
Definitely a "yes" then.
Drivers like to bitch, that's not new. Som etracks penalise the first group
but as the Cars don't really rubber in the track anywhere near the extent of
an F1 car any advantage is small.
(so that hopefully
nobody's getting too held up by a much slower car).
Lol, nice try but be realistic that is a fake attempt at justification
which simply does not scan.
It wasn't meant that way.
Post by Bigbird
[...]
That pass was against the hardest man in Formula E to pass. He's the
Verstappen of FE. I honestly didn't expect Mitch to get past on that track
despite my faith in him as a driver.
Post by Bigbird
NB I was 90% sure he had won just from your subject line, you are
very predictable. :)
Sorry about that. Mitch was leading this E-prix last year from pole
but the Jag wasn't efficient enough and he ran out of energy so it
was good to see him able to keep and then gain a position.
I'm happy for you. Really :)
Thanks.
Post by Bigbird
Paris next; what chance of Mitch making the shootout?
I would put money on his teammate out qualifying him... unless it
rains during qualifying.
Do you have Paypal? Shall we call it US$10? The email addy in the headers is
real. Alex Lynn is quite good and has extensive Formula E experience but
Mitch rarely gets beaten by a team mate and I don't think that will change.
Last season Lynn was in the same team as Bird and Bird finished 3rd with
Lynn down there at 16th. Evans was 7th in a relatively uncompetitive car...
Post by Bigbird
The truth remains that the Formula is skewed towards helping those
further down the championship appear more competitive and those
performing well towards the end of the championship are given a
massive advantage over those performing equally well at the start.
Frankly I wasn't fully aware of this seasons qually change as I don't watch
FE qualifying or read the media. I don't even watch pre-race I just watch
the race proper (same for F1 these days). I still don't think that the
advantage is 'massive' other than at the odd track despite what (some)
drivers say.
Post by Bigbird
Formula-E wants to be taken seriously but the truth is they play to an
arcade formula rather than a sporting one (Fanboost WTF?). I would
really like to see what those cars and drivers can do. It's a shame
they can't support F1 at some event, like Monaco or Melbourne... even
better an open circuit but that would be too far outside their brief.
The whole raison d'etre of FE is to bring electric cars to the publics
attention. That means racing in city centres (with their low noise and zero
emmisions) right where the people are. Supporting an F1 race doen't make
sense for their positioning as they're marketing themselves as the new face
of single seater motorsport. I'd rather have seen Mitch race in F1 but...
money.

Part of the FE marketing is fan boost (and I don'tlike it either - and not
just because NZ is a small country and so Mitch has never got FB). Fanboost
is very rarely significant in a race anyway (that I've noticed) as it's just
like a single use DRS, it's good for one straight. It's nothing compared
with the new 'attack mode'. It's just something to engage the social-media
obsessed millennials (and sadly they and their progeny *will* inherit the
earth).

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
Bigbird
2019-04-17 11:40:16 UTC
It was so good to see Mitch Evans finally get a car that he could win in!
A great result but... didn't they finish 2 -1 - 4 (vs
qualification). Qualifying is skewed towards those with less
points isn't it?
No. They go out in four groups (six minutes each gruop) which are
determined by position in the championship
So later groups get the better track, ordinarily. That would be a
"yes" then.
https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/vergne-lottery-qualifying-lotterer-dambrosio/4334993/
Definitely a "yes" then.
Drivers like to bitch, that's not new. Som etracks penalise the first
group but as the Cars don't really rubber in the track anywhere near
the extent of an F1 car any advantage is small.
So you ignore all the evidence below?

<sigh>
~misfit~
2019-04-17 23:33:42 UTC
It was so good to see Mitch Evans finally get a car that he could win in!
A great result but... didn't they finish 2 -1 - 4 (vs
qualification). Qualifying is skewed towards those with less
points isn't it?
No. They go out in four groups (six minutes each gruop) which are
determined by position in the championship
So later groups get the better track, ordinarily. That would be a
"yes" then.
https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/vergne-lottery-qualifying-lotterer-dambrosio/4334993/
Definitely a "yes" then.
Drivers like to bitch, that's not new. Som etracks penalise the first
group but as the Cars don't really rubber in the track anywhere near
the extent of an F1 car any advantage is small.
So you ignore all the evidence below?
<sigh>
No, I just didn't rebut it. There's a difference. You said it's a spec
series and so they're all close. Qualifying data seems to agree.

I haven't got an email from you yet. Are you going to put your money where
your mouth is and take that bet you proposed?

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
Bigbird
2019-04-18 05:40:24 UTC
[...]
Oh, don't play silly games.
Post by ~misfit~
There's a difference. You said it's a
spec series and so they're all close. Qualifying data seems to agree.
I haven't got an email from you yet. Are you going to put your money
where your mouth is and take that bet you proposed?
Did you take my offer? I didn't read the rest of your post after it was
clear you were is a stupid place.
Bigbird
2019-05-02 20:06:04 UTC
Paris next; what chance of Mitch making the shootout?
I would put money on his teammate out qualifying him... unless it
rains during qualifying.
:)
--
Trump fact check:
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
t***@gmail.com
2019-05-02 22:45:04 UTC
Paris next; what chance of Mitch making the shootout?
I would put money on his teammate out qualifying him... unless it
rains during qualifying.
:)
Replying to your only friend?