Vettel to Mercedes?
Geoff May
2020-05-14 17:58:07 UTC
German news sites are raving about this at the moment. Apparently he
will be replacing Bothas.

One would almost say it was a done deal instead of rumour ...

Cheers

Geoff
Heron
Source?
t***@gmail.com
2020-05-14 18:58:20 UTC
Post by Heron
Source?
German news sites.
Geoff May
2020-05-14 19:25:17 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by Heron
Source?
German news sites.
:-D

Cheers

Geoff
AnthonyL
2020-05-15 11:28:46 UTC
Post by Heron
Post by Geoff May
German news sites are raving about this at the moment. Apparently he
will be replacing Bothas.
One would almost say it was a done deal instead of rumour ...
Cheers
Geoff
Source?
With such flabbergasting rumours the phrase around here is "Sauce"!
--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Sir Tim
2020-05-14 19:15:51 UTC
Post by Geoff May
German news sites are raving about this at the moment. Apparently he
will be replacing Bothas.
One would almost say it was a done deal instead of rumour ...
Why the heck would Mercedes want Vettel?
Geoff May
2020-05-14 19:24:24 UTC
Post by Geoff May
German news sites are raving about this at the moment. Apparently he
will be replacing Bothas.
One would almost say it was a done deal instead of rumour ...
Why the heck would Mercedes want Vettel?
Yers ... that was what I was wondering. Here is one of the examples
(German):
https://www.n-tv.de/sport/formel1/Vettel-setzt-voll-auf-die-Mercedes-Karte-article21780373.html

The video won't work unless you are using a proxy.

The highlight of that is the quoted line which translates (roughly) to:
"His target is the best or nothing"

Cheers

Geoff
Heron
2020-05-14 20:39:40 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Geoff May
German news sites are raving about this at the moment. Apparently he
will be replacing Bothas.
One would almost say it was a done deal instead of rumour ...
Why the heck would Mercedes want Vettel?
Yers ... that was what I was wondering. Here is one of the examples
https://www.n-tv.de/sport/formel1/Vettel-setzt-voll-auf-die-Mercedes-Karte-article21780373.html
The video won't work unless you are using a proxy.
"His target is the best or nothing"
Cheers
Geoff
Wolff: "With a view to the future, we are primarily
committed to our current drivers to be loyal".

Nothing in the article about replacing Bottas. Vettel
couldn't handle LeClerc, let alone Lewis.

FORMULA 1
THURSDAY MAY 14, 2020
The next option from the Vettel table
relies entirely on the Mercedes card
https://www.n-tv.de/sport/formel1/Vettel-setzt-voll-auf-die-Mercedes-Karte-article21780373.html

Sebastian Vettel is betting on the time factor after the announced
departure from Ferrari. According to the RTL / ntv editorial team, the
priority of the 32-year-old for the next season is on a Mercedes
cockpit. Even a top duo with Lewis Hamilton seems possible.

The future of Sebastian Vettel in Formula 1 is still open after the
announced departure from Ferrari at the end of this year - and a highly
traded option from the perspective table. Because a possible switch to
McLaren has been shattered. The British racing team will instead rely on
the duo Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo in the 2021 season. While the
Englishman Norris is already a regular driver at McLaren, the Australian
comes from the Renault team.

Sebastian Vettel wasn't really happy at Scuderia for quite some time.

According to information from our RTL / ntv editorial team, Vettel
relies on the time factor, with the clear priority Mercedes. "His goal
is the best or nothing," says our expert Felix Görner, even if Vettel is
of course in contact with other racing teams. In his opinion, however,
the Renault option should be excluded. "It doesn't fit atmospherically."

In the Mercedes racing team, which has dominated for years, the cockpits
are open for the 2021 season. Neither world champion Lewis Hamilton nor
"Wingman" Valtteri Bottas have been confirmed as drivers. The reason:
The future of the factory team is still not clear. An exit therefore
remains a possible scenario. If this happens and the team is sold to the
Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, the constellation of the drivers
should be fixed: on the one hand there is Stroll's son Lance, who has
been driving in Formula 1 since 2017, and on the other hand Hamilton,
who is currently the World Cup Record of Michael Schumacher hunts.

Should Mercedes continue its Formula 1 commitment, the chance for Vettel
would open up. As a challenger to Hamilton. "Sebastian would not be
afraid of that," says Görner. Recently there was the option that the
six-time world champion from England could switch to Ferrari, but
because Carlos Sainz occupies the second Scuderia cockpit next to
Charles Leclerc, the flirtation with Hamilton has cooled down or been
ticked off. "I can't imagine that that will change again," said our expert.

"Would be very, very clever action by Mercedes"
Mercedes' motorsport director Toto Wolff made ambiguous announcements
immediately after the announced departure from Vettel at Ferrari: "With
a view to the future, we are primarily committed to our current drivers
to be loyal," said the Austrian of the German press agency. "But of
course we cannot ignore this development." Wolff praised Vettel as a
great driver and great personality. He was "an asset for every team".

At Mercedes, regardless of a competitive situation with Hamilton, Vettel
would immediately have a car with which he could make his dream of a
fifth world championship possible.

Source: ntv.de, tno
Geoff May
2020-05-14 21:01:46 UTC
[snipped]
That article was one of the more reasonable ones but ...
Wolff: "With a view to the future, we are primarily
committed to our current drivers to be loyal".
Nothing in the article about replacing Bottas. Vettel
couldn't handle LeClerc, let alone Lewis.
FORMULA 1
THURSDAY MAY 14, 2020
The next option from the Vettel table
relies entirely on the Mercedes card
https://www.n-tv.de/sport/formel1/Vettel-setzt-voll-auf-die-Mercedes-Karte-article21780373.html
Sebastian Vettel is betting on the time factor after the announced
departure from Ferrari. According to the RTL / ntv editorial team, the
priority of the 32-year-old for the next season is on a Mercedes
cockpit. Even a top duo with Lewis Hamilton seems possible.
[snipped]

It is that last sentence that a lot of sites are interpreting as Bothas
will be gone. As I said before, all of this is rumour but some of the
comments and news sites are getting extreme.

Cheers

Geoff
geoff
2020-05-14 23:31:29 UTC
Post by Geoff May
[...]
Mercedes - German. Vettel - German. Germans a bit carried away.
Probably the effects of 5G.

2020-05-15 00:39:11 UTC
Probably the effects of 5G.
probably not