OT: Worse yet...
2019-05-07 23:47:32 UTC
...and yet, I won the first race, and am now leading the FF SCCBC
Championship.

The reason it's worse is that with less than 5 minutes to go, after
lapping a slower car driven by a novice for the second time, he decided
to try to out-brake me into turn 3, and got it so very, very wrong.

I was about 60 degrees through the nearly 160 degree turn when his Lotus
23 sports racer's front right corner ran into my left rear tire,
starting the climb of his car over mine, very fortunately making contact
with my roll bar before his right rear tire struck my helmet.

As this was an extremely slow corner and he made contact with me as I
was reaching the slowest part of it, I came to a stop almost
instantly—amazed to discover that my head was still attached to my
shoulders, and that I wasn't even hurting (except for the battering my
elbows took on the frame tubes in the cockpit, but even that doesn't
more than twinge today).

I quickly looked to my right to see the Lotus sitting inverted on its
roll bar, and found I could drive the car off to the side where no cars
coming through could possibly make contact with it, and gave the turn
workers a double thumbs-up, so they could communicate to the safety
crews I could already see approaching through the tire barriers that
separate the turn one runoff area from turn three.

As the safety trucks came closer, I made sure they knew that I needed no
immediate attention and direct them to see to Leigh, whose condition was
uncertain. When the wrecker (tow truck) came through last, I flagged him
down, and when he stepped out, I asked him to quickly examine my car to
ascertain if it was safe to simply drive it back to the paddock. When he
told me that my left rear wheel was "toed in pretty badly", but that
that he thought it was safe to slowly drive back to the paddock, I did that.

Once I was out, I checked in with race control to, firstly, radio my
friend, G, who was working at turn 2 and therefore couldn't be sure that
I was alright, and then I had one of the EMT's working the track that
day do the standard tests for head, neck injuries, etc., and I got a
clean bill of health with a strict admonition to seek medical assistance
if ANYTHING changed for the worse.

So the final tally appears to be (and I haven't yet done a comprehensive
examination of the car):

4 bent A-arms; 3 which might successfully be straightened (just gentle
curves with no kinks or wrinkles).

Damage to 3 body panels; none very bad (I could race with them as they
are with just a little duct tape on one).

Cosmetic damage to the car's roll bar.

Possibly, one brand-new Bell SA2015 helmet rendered unfit for continued use.

<sigh>

We (G, and I) tried pretty hard to replace the damaged A-arms starting
Sunday morning in the hope that we might be able to make the last race
of the day, but we called it off when we realized that one of the spare
A-arms I'd been sent was the wide-track variant rather than the
narrow-track that my car required. Sadly, there was no good way to check
the spare when it arrived as that particular A-arm has one leg buried
deep behind the pedals.

The only thing fortunate for me is that the next race isn't until
mid-June, so I've got all the time I need to put things right.

Racing...

...what are you going to do?
a425couple
2019-05-08 15:50:58 UTC
...and yet, I won the first race, and am now leading the FF SCCBC
Championship. ----
The only thing fortunate for me is that the next race isn't until
mid-June, so I've got all the time I need to put things right.
Racing...
...what are you going to do?
What to do?
Probably continue to push money down that rat hole
that is our addiction!
Except I'm weaning myself off, gradually.....

Was that Lotus 23 an original, or a recent copy?
What was he using for power?
You do always have some real interesting
Sports Racers up there.
Alan Baker
2019-05-08 15:59:37 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by Alan Baker
...and yet, I won the first race, and am now leading the FF SCCBC
Championship. ----
The only thing fortunate for me is that the next race isn't until
mid-June, so I've got all the time I need to put things right.
Racing...
...what are you going to do?
What to do?
Probably continue to push money down that rat hole
that is our addiction!
Except I'm weaning myself off, gradually.....
Was that Lotus 23 an original, or a recent copy?
I'm not entirely certain. Parts of it were original, but I don't think
it has an actual Lotus registration.
Post by a425couple
What was he using for power?
A Lotus twin cam.
Sports Racers up there.
a425couple
2019-05-08 18:35:21 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by Alan Baker
...and yet, I won the first race, and am now leading the FF SCCBC
Championship. ----
The only thing fortunate for me is that the next race isn't until
mid-June, so I've got all the time I need to put things right.
Racing...
...what are you going to do?
What to do?
Probably continue to push money down that rat hole
that is our addiction!
Except I'm weaning myself off, gradually.....
Was that Lotus 23 an original, or a recent copy?
I'm not entirely certain. Parts of it were original, but I don't think
it has an actual Lotus registration.
Post by a425couple
What was he using for power?
A Lotus twin cam.
When cost is not a problem.
I'm guessing he is indulging himself,,, or
he considers it an investment.
(in which case he needs to quit turning it upside down!)
Post by Alan Baker
Post by a425couple
You do always have some real interesting
Sports Racers up there.
That with the relatively few Sports Racers at your
first two races, one burned and two rolled over.
It is tough to roll one over!!!

I've mostly raced Sports Racers since 1975,
and I've never rolled one (came real close to
having one tipped over in a paddock while being
flat towed one time in 1976, but that is a story
for when we have beers in our hand!)

Today I'm trying to load up the D962 for Pacific Raceways
this weekend.

Any lurkers in the Seattle area?
Come on out, admission is free and the weather
looks like it will be great.

I'll even be sure you get a free beer on Saturday
after the racing is over.
Alan Baker
2019-05-08 18:53:52 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by Alan Baker
Post by a425couple
What was he using for power?
A Lotus twin cam.
When cost is not a problem.
I'm guessing he is indulging himself,,, or
he considers it an investment.
  (in which case he needs to quit turning it upside down!)
I think it started out with barn-found parts, but I'm sure he's
indulging himself. Aren't all of us racers doing that?

:-)

He's a novice who probably would have graduated to senior license if
he'd kept his nose clean, but that's going to have to wait a little, now.
Post by a425couple
Post by Alan Baker
Post by a425couple
You do always have some real interesting
Sports Racers up there.
That with the relatively few Sports Racers at your
first two races, one burned and two rolled over.
It is tough to roll one over!!!
I've mostly raced Sports Racers since 1975,
and I've never rolled one (came real close to
having one tipped over in a paddock while being
flat towed one time in 1976, but that is a story
for when we have beers in our hand!)
And at the same corner, both of them hitting and going over the top of
an open wheel car.

I like the beer plan. :-)
Post by a425couple
Today I'm trying to load up the D962 for Pacific Raceways
this weekend.
Any lurkers in the Seattle area?
Come on out, admission is free and the weather
looks like it will be great.
I'll even be sure you get a free beer on Saturday
after the racing is over.
Who knows... ...I might be able to swing that.

Best of luck.