Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
a425couple
2020-08-17 14:54:26 UTC
Simple:
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
Mark
2020-08-17 15:20:00 UTC
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
Is that simple? I have no idea precisely (I know which were
particularly short). I'd guess James Hunt, Damon Hill and Jenson Button
were all up there somewhere around the six foot mark, but height has
never been a particular asset in F1, and right now it's a definite
problem with difficulty in fitting into the tight cars. Mansell was
probably relatively tall too...but I think his issue was more on his
width than his height!
News
Dan Gurney was probably tallest of all F1 drivers.
a425couple
2020-08-17 16:12:00 UTC
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
Is that simple?  I have no idea precisely (I know which were
particularly short).  I'd guess James Hunt, Damon Hill and Jenson Button
were all up there somewhere around the six foot mark, but height has
never been a particular asset in F1, and right now it's a definite
problem with difficulty in fitting into the tight cars.  Mansell was
probably relatively tall too...but I think his issue was more on his
width than his height!
Dan Gurney was probably tallest of all F1 drivers.
Dan Gurney was 6'4".
Yes, that was often a problem.
But he still likely could have been a WDC
(if he'd stayed at Brabham for 1966 & 1967,
except his goals and interests were elsewhere).
Heron
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
News
Sounds like a personal issue.
Bigbird
2020-08-17 16:43:30 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
Is that simple? I have no idea precisely (I know which were
particularly short). I'd guess James Hunt, Damon Hill and Jenson
Button were all up there somewhere around the six foot mark, but
height has never been a particular asset in F1, and right now it's
a definite problem with difficulty in fitting into the tight cars.
Mansell was probably relatively tall too...but I think his issue
was more on his width than his height!
Dan Gurney was probably tallest of all F1 drivers.
Nope, Justin Wilson was also 193cm

but Hans-Joachim Stuck was 194cm

Anyone go higher ;)
--
Bozo bin
Texasgate
Enjoy!
News
2020-08-17 17:08:18 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
Is that simple? I have no idea precisely (I know which were
particularly short). I'd guess James Hunt, Damon Hill and Jenson
Button were all up there somewhere around the six foot mark, but
height has never been a particular asset in F1, and right now it's
a definite problem with difficulty in fitting into the tight cars.
Mansell was probably relatively tall too...but I think his issue
was more on his width than his height!
Dan Gurney was probably tallest of all F1 drivers.
Nope, Justin Wilson was also 193cm
but Hans-Joachim Stuck was 194cm
Anyone go higher ;)
My corner worked Stuck's Batmobile at Sebring in 1975, and while he may
be listed as 194cm, he was in no way 194cm, which was easy to gauge
since I am 194cm.
Bigbird
2020-08-18 12:57:17 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
Is that simple? I have no idea precisely (I know which were
particularly short). I'd guess James Hunt, Damon Hill and
Jenson Button were all up there somewhere around the six foot
mark, but height has never been a particular asset in F1, and
right now it's a definite problem with difficulty in fitting
into the tight cars. Mansell was probably relatively tall
too...but I think his issue was more on his width than his
height!
Dan Gurney was probably tallest of all F1 drivers.
Nope, Justin Wilson was also 193cm
but Hans-Joachim Stuck was 194cm
Anyone go higher ;)
My corner worked Stuck's Batmobile at Sebring in 1975, and while he
may be listed as 194cm, he was in no way 194cm, which was easy to
gauge since I am 194cm.
Sure, but were you wearing heels that day.

Well find yourself a picture of DG standing next to Stuck and you're in
with a shout else the records say not.
--
Bozo bin
Texasgate
Enjoy!
News
And you on a perch, next to Boy George.
Bigbird
2020-08-18 19:44:57 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by a425couple
[...]
Well that was pertinent.

Such a bad loser.
--
Bozo bin
Texasgate
Enjoy!
News
Truth hurts, huh?
Halmyre
2020-08-17 15:25:43 UTC
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
I'll take a guess at Dan Gurney who was 6'4".
Mark
2020-08-17 15:47:21 UTC
...but he wasn't WDC.
Halmyre
2020-08-18 08:06:20 UTC
Oops, yes, in that case I'll pick James Hunt, who was the first name that came to mind originally.
Heron
2020-08-17 15:35:00 UTC
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
Who had the fairest hair, who was left-handed,
who was the baldest, WHO THE HELL CARES.
Brian Lawrence
2020-08-17 17:22:51 UTC
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
There's an incomplete list here:

<https://famewatcher.com/how-tall-are-formula-one-drivers-height-of-grand-prix-champions.html>

I've put them in order:

James Hunt 185 cm
Jack Brabham 183 cm
Damon Hill 182 cm
Jenson Button 182 cm
Nigel Mansell 180 cm
Mika Häkkinen 179 cm
Jody Scheckter 179 cm
Nico Rosberg 178 cm
Nelson Piquet 177 cm
Sebastian Vettel 176 cm
Lewis Hamilton 175 cm
Kimi Räikkönen 175 cm
Juan Manuel Fangio 175 cm
Michael Schumacher 174 cm
Emerson Fittipaldi 174 cm
Fernando Alonso 171 cm
Ayrton Senna 171 cm
Niki Lauda 171 cm
Mario Andretti 171 cm
Jacques Villeneuve 168 cm
Alain Prost 165 cm
Jackie Stewart 163 cm

Keke Rosberg
Alan Jones
Jochen Rindt
Denny Hulme
John Surtees
Jim Clark
Graham Hill
Phil Hill
Mike Hawthorn
Alberto Ascari
Nino Farina

Searching for the missing ones I found these - no idea if they
are correct:

Jochen Rindt 162
John Surtees 164
Jim Clark 180
Graham Hill 178
Phil Hill 191
Mike Hawthorn 188
Mark Jackson
2020-08-17 18:33:19 UTC
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
[snip]
Jenson Button               182 cm
This may help with calibration:

Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter
of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins
News
2020-08-17 19:06:55 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
[snip]
Jenson Button               182 cm
http://www.mark-jackson.online/Button-X-Sato.jpg
Gotta love the heels. Very Trump-esque.
Brian Lawrence
2020-08-18 15:07:37 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Keke Rosberg
Alan Jones
Denny Hulme
Alberto Ascari
Nino Farina
There's a photo of AJ with Webber & Ricciardo here:

<https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/australian-f1-legend-alan-jones-reveals-untold-story-about-his-unusual-absence-from-a-grand-prix/news-story/8c073066d28aee58b08a27fe394d54d0>

Danny Ric is listed as 178 cm on the link I posted yesterday, but
elsewhere he is said to be 180. Aussie Grit was 185 on the famewatcher
site. Clearly both are taller than Jones.

Also found a group photo where Jones is standing next to Martin Brundle
(170cm) with Ayrton (171cm) nearby. All 3 appear to be about the same
height.

There are many photos online of Keke & Nico together - Nico (178cm) is
a bit taller than his father.

A photo of Monaco podium in 1986, Senna/Prost/Rosberg - Senna is taller
than Prost & Rosberg, Keke a bit taller than Alain.

A photo of Ascari with Hawthorn, Mike (188cm) is at least 5 maybe 7 or
8 cm taller. Ascari photographed with Farina was the taller - Moss is
in same photo (1953 GBR) and is about the same height as Farina. Moss
was 162 cm.

https://www.motorsportimages.com/

https://f1-photo.com/

<https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/search/2/image?family=editorial&phrase=formula+one+racing>
a425couple
2020-08-18 15:53:56 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by a425couple
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
<https://famewatcher.com/how-tall-are-formula-one-drivers-height-of-grand-prix-champions.html>
James Hunt               185 cm
Jack Brabham               183 cm
Damon Hill               182 cm
Jenson Button               182 cm
Nigel Mansell               180 cm
Mika Häkkinen               179 cm
Jody Scheckter               179 cm
Nico Rosberg               178 cm
Nelson Piquet               177 cm
Sebastian Vettel           176 cm
Lewis Hamilton               175 cm
Kimi Räikkönen               175 cm
Juan Manuel Fangio         175 cm
Michael Schumacher         174 cm
Emerson Fittipaldi         174 cm
Fernando Alonso               171 cm
Ayrton Senna               171 cm
Niki Lauda               171 cm
Mario Andretti               171 cm
Jacques Villeneuve         168 cm
Alain Prost               165 cm
Jackie Stewart               163 cm
Keke Rosberg
Alan Jones
Jochen Rindt
Denny Hulme
--
Post by Brian Lawrence
Alberto Ascari
Nino Farina
Searching for the missing ones I found these - no idea if they
Jochen Rindt    162
John Surtees    164
Jim Clark       180
Graham Hill     178
Phil Hill       191
Mike Hawthorn   188
Thank you Brian. Good Work!
So, Phil Hill was 6.26 feet,
and James Hunt was 6.08 feet.
Heron
2020-08-18 16:15:07 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
Post by Brian Lawrence
Alberto Ascari
Nino Farina
Searching for the missing ones I found these - no idea if they
Jochen Rindt    162
John Surtees    164
Jim Clark       180
Graham Hill     178
Phil Hill       191
Mike Hawthorn   188
Thank you Brian.  Good Work!
So, Phil Hill was 6.26 feet,
and James Hunt was 6.08 feet.
Speaking of being fascinated by meaningless,
inconsequential, and mundane statistics ...
Bruce Hoult
2020-08-18 21:51:47 UTC
Thank you Brian. Good Work!
So, Phil Hill was 6.26 feet,
and James Hunt was 6.08 feet.
That's got to be one of the most perverse measurements I've ever seen!!

cm not good enough for you?

Or at least feet and inches for the two countries where non-technical and/or old people prefer those.

p.s. I'm one of those old people and we used imperial measurements in NZ until I was 10 and I've lived in the US so I'm perfectly comfortable with them, but SI is simply better.
t***@gmail.com
2020-08-19 03:18:54 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Thank you Brian. Good Work!
So, Phil Hill was 6.26 feet,
and James Hunt was 6.08 feet.
That's got to be one of the most perverse measurements I've ever seen!!
cm not good enough for you?
Or at least feet and inches for the two countries where non-technical and/or old people prefer those.
p.s. I'm one of those old people and we used imperial measurements in NZ until I was 10 and I've lived in the US so I'm perfectly comfortable with them, but SI is simply better.
Fuck convert when needed.
First world fucking problems
t***@gmail.com
2020-08-19 06:43:46 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Thank you Brian. Good Work!
So, Phil Hill was 6.26 feet,
and James Hunt was 6.08 feet.
That's got to be one of the most perverse measurements I've ever seen!!
cm not good enough for you?
Or at least feet and inches
Yes. I see that now.
Post proper math. a425dumble
r***@gmail.com
2020-08-19 06:51:29 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Who was the tallest F1 WDC?
That can't be right - Graham was definitely taller than Jim.
Brian Lawrence
2020-08-19 07:49:02 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Brian Lawrence
Searching for the missing ones I found these - no idea if they
Jim Clark 180
Graham Hill 178
That can't be right - Graham was definitely taller than Jim.
Agreed. Here they are together on the 1965 German GP podium

<https://www.deviantart.com/f1-history/art/1965-German-Grand-Prix-Podium-327506669>

3rd-place Dan Gurney also clearly taller than both.