C4 live coverage on Sunday will be truncated
Add Reply
Brian Lawrence
2019-07-11 18:07:27 UTC
to accommodate live coverage of Cricket World Cup final.

Probably pre-race build-up now starts at 13:15, when cricket
moves to More 4. Cricket will return to C4 after the race
ends, so poss. less post-race coverage.

Also Wimbledon men's final on BBC 1 from 13:30. Great planning,
as HAM said in the Thu Press Conf.
Sir Tim
2019-07-11 18:37:06 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
to accommodate live coverage of Cricket World Cup final.
Probably pre-race build-up now starts at 13:15, when cricket
moves to More 4. Cricket will return to C4 after the race
ends, so poss. less post-race coverage.
The whole event will be covered live on Sky F1. Also the F2 and F3 races.
Post by Brian Lawrence
Also Wimbledon men's final on BBC 1 from 13:30. Great planning,
as HAM said in the Thu Press Conf.
Difficult to have foreseen England reaching the final of the Cricket World
Cup ;-)
keefy
2019-07-11 20:06:34 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
to accommodate live coverage of Cricket World Cup final.
Probably pre-race build-up now starts at 13:15, when cricket
moves to More 4. Cricket will return to C4 after the race
ends, so poss. less post-race coverage.
The whole event will be covered live on Sky F1. Also the F2 and F3 races.
But of course Sky is not Free To Air. So you pay to have a licence to
watch the TV and then have to pay again to get some programs to watch!
Post by Sir Tim
Post by Brian Lawrence
Also Wimbledon men's final on BBC 1 from 13:30. Great planning,
as HAM said in the Thu Press Conf.
And as mr_gobrien says that used to happen most years until recently. I
thought the lesson had been learnt not to have more than one major
international sporting event happening on the same day especially in
such a small country, but maybe I got that wrong.
Cup ;-)
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-07-11 19:38:57 UTC
a gp normally clashes with the wimbledon mens final I think (french, german, british) - often anyway

f1 does try to avoid world cups and olympics etc

btcc on itv4 is making more efforts (avoiding tour de france clashes etc)

in the 1970's the brazilian race etc was often in january!

it used to be said that monaco picked its date and the other races were then slotted around that - I don't know if that is still true.

remember too that cricket started having world cups only in 1975, athletics in 1987 and rugby union in 1987 too - so in the past there was less other stuff to avoid clashes with.

all of that and sunday shopping as a temptation now too - so no wonder big bad bernie unwilling to change got the push.
~misfit~
2019-07-12 05:57:30 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
a gp normally clashes with the wimbledon mens final I think (french, german, british) - often anyway
f1 does try to avoid world cups and olympics etc
btcc on itv4 is making more efforts (avoiding tour de france clashes etc)
in the 1970's the brazilian race etc was often in january!
it used to be said that monaco picked its date and the other races were then slotted around that - I don't know if that is still true.
remember too that cricket started having world cups only in 1975, athletics in 1987 and rugby union in 1987 too - so in the past there was less other stuff to avoid clashes with.
Not to mention that there's around twice as many F1 races nowadays as there was when I started
watching.

t***@gmail.com
2019-07-14 15:33:47 UTC
Not to mention that there's around twice as many F1 races nowadays as there was when I started
watching.
Not to mention you pirate F1 tv coverage.
So you have no credibility.

Brian Lawrence
2019-07-12 10:17:24 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
a gp normally clashes with the wimbledon mens final I think (french, german, british) - often anyway
The GP has been on the same day as the men's final 7 times, all of them
since 2007.
Brian Lawrence
2019-07-13 04:38:41 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
a gp normally clashes with the wimbledon mens final I think (french, german, british) - often anyway
The first Wimbledon final to take place on a Sunday was in 1982.

Since then these GPs took place on the same day:

1984 Dallas GP large time diff.

1985 French GP also 1986-94, 2003-05

2002 British GP also 2007, 08, 12, 14, 16, 19

2013 German GP

In 1988 play in the men's final was stopped by rain after only 5 games,
with the match completed on the Monday.

I have a memory that the French GP once had an early start to avoid the
clash with Wimbledon. This was when tv companies had to book satellite
times in advance.

The 1982 Dutch GP took place on Saturday Jul 03, the same day as the
women's final. The GP started at 12:30, 30m before the tennis.
Brian Lawrence
2019-07-13 09:01:31 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
The 1982 Dutch GP took place on Saturday Jul 03, the same day as the
women's final. The GP started at 12:30, 30m before the tennis.
At that time the UK had 3 TV channels, BBC 1, BBC 2 & ITV. BBC1 was
scheduled to go over to Zandvoort at 12:05 and then take a break for the
News at 13:10 and a football WCup report from Spain, followed by the
switch to Wimbledon at 13:30. BBC2 had highlights of the GP at 20:35.

This might be the race which I recalled having an early start to avoid a
clash. For a few years before and after 1982 the race started at 15:00
(once at 14:30 and once at 14:45), they were all on Sundays too.

The pre-cursor of Sky One, UK Satellite Television Ltd., started in
1982, though coverage was limited and was mainly shown on cable
systems. Sky began broadcasting in October 1983.
Mower Man
2019-07-11 20:54:44 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
to accommodate live coverage of Cricket World Cup final.
Probably pre-race build-up now starts at 13:15, when cricket
moves to More 4. Cricket will return to C4 after the race
ends, so poss. less post-race coverage.
Also Wimbledon men's final on BBC 1 from 13:30. Great planning,
as HAM said in the Thu Press Conf.
Pre - or post - race coverage has never interested me.
Do I want to watch racing cars or journos talking.
I'm sure you can guess...

---
2019-07-11 22:26:49 UTC
Post by Mower Man
Pre - or post - race coverage has never interested me.
Oh goody for you.
Get over yourself.
t***@gmail.com
2019-07-11 22:30:04 UTC
Post by Mower Man
I'm sure you can guess...
How did guessing work for you in WW2?
t***@gmail.com
2019-07-11 23:32:11 UTC
Post by Mower Man
---
Misfart has a problem with this type of signature.
CS
2019-07-12 05:32:02 UTC
Good thrashing in the semi final though.