Oh please|
Rob Brewer
2018-07-08 20:34:01 UTC
Where on earth were those horrible discordant screeches and bings and bongs
come from on the Channel 4 Silverstone whenever there is a new lap record or
something come from? Is this from Liberty's TV feed?

Please, pleases, please make it go away it looking like it is is some sort
of computer game.
Women who want to be equal to men lack imagination.
M2T
2018-07-08 22:43:43 UTC
Post by Rob Brewer
Where on earth were those horrible discordant screeches and bings and bongs
come from on the Channel 4 Silverstone whenever there is a new lap record or
something come from? Is this from Liberty's TV feed?
Please, pleases, please make it go away it looking like it is is some sort
of computer game.
Correct, they're part of Liberty Media's new "Bells & Whistles"
improvements. The screeches are from the opening of Bernie's wallet.

Thank fuck they decided against a mid-race hilights update and musical
background.
~misfit~
2018-07-09 02:05:34 UTC
Post by Rob Brewer
Where on earth were those horrible discordant screeches and bings
and bongs come from on the Channel 4 Silverstone whenever there is a
new lap record or something come from? Is this from Liberty's TV
feed? Please, pleases, please make it go away it looking like it is is
some sort of computer game.
It's really annoying. Liberty trying to alienate the long-time fans all just
to grab the eye/ear of flighty casuals.
Post by M2T
Correct, they're part of Liberty Media's new "Bells & Whistles"
improvements. The screeches are from the opening of Bernie's wallet.
Thank fuck they decided against a mid-race hilights update and musical
background.
They still have far too many replays of incidents 10 or 15 minutes after
they happened to cater for the short attention-span millennials. Also the
loud music before and after races is damn annoying and I only hear it on TV
coverage!

2018-07-09 10:21:10 UTC
Post by M2T
Correct, they're part of Liberty Media's new "Bells & Whistles"
improvements. The screeches are from the opening of Bernie's wallet.
Thank fuck they decided against a mid-race hilights update and musical
background.
They still have far too many replays of incidents 10 or 15 minutes after
they happened to cater for the short attention-span millennials. Also the
loud music before and after races is damn annoying and I only hear it on TV
coverage!
It's the constant switching to the pits that gets on my tits. Grostwat
hits the well - again - oh shock horror the team look pissed off. It
could be a replay every time. The last 8 laps yesterday were all over
the place, to the point they missed the Vettel/Bottas overtake.
Rob Brewer
2018-07-09 11:39:59 UTC
It's the constant switching to the pits that gets on my tits. Grostwat
hits the well - again - oh shock horror the team look pissed off. It
could be a replay every time. The last 8 laps yesterday were all over
the place, to the point they missed the Vettel/Bottas overtake.
I would only suspect that the program directors don't understand much about
GP racing and is a far cry from the excellent BBC presentations with
Raymond Baxter from the 60's. None of the continual close up shots in those
days where you could actually see where the cars were on the track.

Coulthard's waste of time Grid Walk only spoke to one driver and spent his
time talking to 'celebrity' tennis players and footballers - what is the
point of that!

I really don't understand the presenters mindset. Big-it-up Edwards was
almost crying into his microphone when a Ferrari overtook and his
hysterical outbursts at the finish have me reaching for the mute button.

Presumably the Liberty Media's "bells and whistles" are also fed to the Sky
channel so it would be impossible to get away from them.

Sadly this race to the bottom presentation will soon see me finding
something else to do on GP weekends.

Rob
Women who want to be equal to men lack imagination.
D Munz
2018-07-09 12:02:31 UTC
Post by Rob Brewer
Post by M2T
[...]
So you all are talking about the BBC coverage, right? To the point above, I didn't notice an extra music or noise during the Sky broadcast (fed straight over here on ESPN). I have noticed that they do add stuff in however.

I've managed to watch the last few races with ESPN side-be-side to the F1 TV (world) feed. The voiceover on the F1 TV feed is directly from Sky but they (Sky) clearly adds their own bits and replays. One example is all the Di Resta stuff with the video replay screen. You here him talking on the world feed but the video is not shown there.

I've also noticed a few difference in the pre-race show. I had not opened up the local cable app yet when Brundle(?) was talking about the work being done to rebuild Hartley's car. He said something like - look at that, you can see right through the car as they reattach something or other. That was not shown on the world feed.

I guess, the locals can add certain bits but most of the action is still delivered via the world feed.

I'm also not convinced that Liberty are targeting changes to the broadcast to a new audience. I think they want to draw younger people to the event itself. That is where the new money is.

2018-07-09 12:06:40 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
Ok, that was a mess of piss-poor grammar, sorry. No more posting before coffee.

I did want to add that I suspect the "directors" are the same lot who have been doing this for the world feed over the last few years (good, bad or otherwise). I don't think Liberty came in and made whole-sale changes to that part of the broadcast team.

2018-07-10 00:53:55 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by D Munz
[...]
As M2T said the race feed proper (pit open to podium) is from FOM who are
under the direction of Liberty Media. ALL broadcasters get the same race
feed and, if they pay enough, a commentators box for their mouths to sit in.
Some broadcasters buy the commentary from others but they all show the same
pictures.

The bit you're referencing above, Brundle talking about Hartley's car is
from Skys own roving cameras and is part of their 'value-added package'
(which consists of maybe an extra 5 hours over and above the race proper,
three before and two after). I guess the re-broadcaster didn't buy the
rights to that bit and the audio got mixed up.

The loud music at the track I'm talking about is during these pre and post
race shows (as well the the wait for drivers to get to the podium etc.). It
gets so bad that commentators end up shouting sometimes. I guess it's to
entertain the short attention-span crowds they're drawing now.

Oh and have you noticed that Liberty's 'F1 signature' music that they play
loud over the PA whenever they get a chance (and pre and post race coverage)
features the sound of the V10s? It's all part of their plan to get the
public behind their call for a cheap'n'cheerful formula / TV show / [media]
event (via polls) with loud engines (and pull the teeth of the constructors
in negotiations).

Heh! My formatting is worse than yours was. ;-)

2018-07-10 12:51:22 UTC
Post by D Munz
[...]
I don't disagree except that I'm not talking about the re-broadcast. I'm subscribed to Liberty's F1 TV package which delivers the world feed video. Sky overlays their bit (the roving camera, for example) which comes across to the US as part of the ESPN package.

For the F1 TV stream, they use commentary in English, French, Spanish and German. The English commentary is straight from Sky and I assume the other languages are whatever broadcaster bought the rights to the world feed in their home countries. F1 TV does not show the local broadcast value added stuff so when watching side by side, the Sky feed video can show different bits (this is pre, post and during the race). If you are watching the F1 TV with English, you hear them talking about what Sky are showing but don't see the video.

None of that is really a big deal, just kind of interesting.

I wish my German was better or I understood French or Spanish as it would be fun to compare those commentaries with Sky's.

2018-07-10 13:52:01 UTC
[...]
You have no say because you are pirating thief,
government hand out, mooch, leach, loser.
Calum
2018-07-11 22:07:14 UTC
Channel 4. (There hasn't been any been any BBC coverage for years.)
M2T
2018-07-09 12:21:31 UTC
Post by Rob Brewer
Post by M2T
[...]
The F1 TV director(s) are fulltime employees of FOM. What they show is
what they're told to. When the Dwarf ran the show, he'd ensure we got
sponsors adverts in every shot, no matter if the camera position
compromised showing the actual racing. He'd also stop showing any cars
belong to teams he was having a problem with.

Sky and Ch4 can only show the FOM feed. That includes overlays, replays
and any other crap LM want to force down our throats.

The grid walk is all part of the show. Brundle began grid walks, now
there several, all repeating the same questions. I'm sure some drivers
are pissed off with them. LH has never once given an interview on the
grid. We're expected to go gooey eyed when some failed actor or retired
sport star tells us they've never been to see any kind of car racing
before and they're over the moon to have received a free day out, that
comes with a helicopter ride in and out, 'cos they'd never want to get
stuck in the traffic with the plebs. BTW, the media receive a sheet
from FOM, listing all the invited celebs they might bump into, which is
why DC often says "I believe some bit titted slapper is on the grid, but
I've not got a clue what she looks like".

Commentators are expected to raise the excitement level when something
happens on screen. At least Edwards doesn't shout throughout the race,
unlike that twat on Sky.
t***@gmail.com
2018-07-09 23:39:53 UTC
Post by Rob Brewer
Sadly this race to the bottom presentation will soon see me finding
something else to do on GP weekends.
M2Tit is starting a knitting club.
He has a very sore cunt like you.
~misfit~
2018-07-10 00:26:15 UTC
Post by M2T
Correct, they're part of Liberty Media's new "Bells & Whistles"
improvements. The screeches are from the opening of Bernie's
wallet. Thank fuck they decided against a mid-race hilights update and
musical background.
They still have far too many replays of incidents 10 or 15 minutes
after they happened to cater for the short attention-span
millennials. Also the loud music before and after races is damn
annoying and I only hear it on TV coverage!
It's the constant switching to the pits that gets on my tits. Grostwat
hits the well - again - oh shock horror the team look pissed
off. It could be a replay every time. The last 8 laps yesterday
were all over the place, to the point they missed the Vettel/Bottas
overtake.
They also missed the Verstappen retirement - to the point that the Sky
presenters talked about a Red Bull coming together for a few minutes. The
Red Bulls could be glimpsed in last the split seconds of the shots sometimes
and I was trying to watch them so I knew there was no such incident but they
didn't.

If the coverage is confusing the commentators surely a change is needed?

2018-07-10 05:43:12 UTC
Post by M2T
[...]
LM have signed up Ross Brawn and numerous other 'experts' to make
changes to the rules. As none of them are involved in running a team,
I'd have thought they would be watching the races on TV. Apparently not
or if they do, they're not following the races.

BTW, celeb who are invited by Mercedes to watch the races are sat at the
back of their garage. As they can't see sod all, they have to watch the
race on a telly. Not exactly glamourous is it.
t***@gmail.com
t***@gmail.com
2018-07-09 17:01:34 UTC
Liberty trying to alienate the long-time fans
Good. Fuck off then asshole.
Post by ~misfit~
They still have far too many replays of incidents 10 or 15 minutes after
they happened to cater for the short attention-span millennials. Also the
loud music before and after races is damn annoying and I only hear it on TV
coverage!
You have no say because you are a prirating loser,
piece of shit, thief.
t***@gmail.com
2018-07-09 23:50:51 UTC
Thanks, cornholer.
D Munz
2018-07-10 12:52:45 UTC
And, I agree the "grid walk" has become a disaster. I never liked it anyway as I thought it was disruptive to the drivers and teams but having two or three teams wandering around is just a mess.

2018-07-10 12:59:42 UTC
Bring back the grid gals, the pit popsies!
bra
2018-07-10 14:33:41 UTC
Post by D Munz
And, I agree the "grid walk" has become a disaster. I never liked it anyway as I thought it was disruptive to the drivers and teams but having two or three teams wandering around is just a mess.
F1 drivers are imbued with sponsor-awareness and hence 'politeness'.

But in two other fields of racing: it would have been a suicidal interviewer who pushed a microphone at US sprint car champ Steve Kinser, or Superbike racer Carl Fogarty, on the grid before their races! (Likewise approaching Foggy AFTER any race in which he came second.)
D Munz
2018-07-10 15:56:05 UTC
Post by D Munz
And, I agree the "grid walk" has become a disaster. I never liked it anyway as I thought it was disruptive to the drivers and teams but having two or three teams wandering around is just a mess.
F1 drivers are imbued with sponsor-awareness and hence 'politeness'.
But in two other fields of racing: it would have been a suicidal interviewer who pushed a microphone at US sprint car champ Steve Kinser, or Superbike racer Carl Fogarty, on the grid before their races! (Likewise approaching Foggy AFTER any race in which he came second.)
The sponsor bit is interesting. Anytime they interview a driver over hear (NASCAR, Indy etc.) they always make a point to throw the sponsors names around. You don't hear that in F1. Maybe there used to be some Bernie thing that prevented that as he didn't get a cut.

2018-07-10 16:38:37 UTC
Post by D Munz
The sponsor bit is interesting. Anytime they interview a driver over hear (NASCAR, Indy etc.) they always make a point to throw the sponsors names around. You don't hear that in F1.
Good point --- but you can bet the team owner and the sponsors are watching and listening, e.g. Kimi, don't pick your nose and spit. Lewis, no smudgy fingerprints on your Mercedes cap!

I cringe when I hear NASCAR and NHRA drivers praise The Lord or Jesus Christ and --- in his day --- President Reagan (several did that).
Willsy
2018-07-11 09:46:09 UTC
Post by D Munz
And, I agree the "grid walk" has become a disaster. I never liked it anyway as I thought it was disruptive to the drivers and teams but having two or three teams wandering around is just a mess.
I quite like the laddish/blokeish humour of Coulthard and Webber on Channel 4.
Very happy with Channel 4's coverage.

Yes I noticed the sound effects when someone gets a fastest lap. For those
that haven't heard it, think of Mario Bros when you collect a gold coin or
something.

I shit you not.