Williams sold to Dorilton Capital
Add Reply
alister
2020-08-21 08:54:31 UTC
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-williams-announce-
sale-of-f1-team-to-us-investment-company.5hjIdxTo9MOBOlHkmfGjo.html
"the team said the private investment firm “recognises and appreciates
the importance of respecting and retaining Williams’ heritage and culture
and is committed to maintaining its identity”.

They added: “The team will continue to race and compete under the
Williams brand, with the chassis name remaining unchanged. Dorilton has
no plans to re-locate the team from Grove, its traditional home.”

Lets see how long that lasts.
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.
Dex
I think it's time Claire Williams left as well.
Martin Harran
2020-08-21 10:00:34 UTC
Post by alister
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-williams-announce-
sale-of-f1-team-to-us-investment-company.5hjIdxTo9MOBOlHkmfGjo.html
"the team said the private investment firm “recognises and appreciates
the importance of respecting and retaining Williams’ heritage and culture
and is committed to maintaining its identity”.
They added: “The team will continue to race and compete under the
Williams brand, with the chassis name remaining unchanged. Dorilton has
no plans to re-locate the team from Grove, its traditional home.”
Lets see how long that lasts.
Wonder will they keep Claire Wiiliams. The team has steadily declined
under her leadership and the only reason I can see that she has lasted
so long is that she is family.
Mark
2020-08-21 10:23:17 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
They added: ?The team will continue to race and compete under the
Williams brand, with the chassis name remaining unchanged. Dorilton has
no plans to re-locate the team from Grove, its traditional home.?
Lets see how long that lasts.
Wonder will they keep Claire Wiiliams. The team has steadily declined
under her leadership and the only reason I can see that she has lasted
so long is that she is family.
But is that correlation or causation? Williams was already in decline,
and their finances steadily decreased (which may or may not be due to
her). It could be that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not that I'm a fan of family control (qualification through accident of
birth), I think it would be fair to see how she does with real funding
behind the team before dropping her given that (as far as I'm aware)
there is little discontent with her within the team. If she still can't
do the job, then it's fair.

Of course, the next few days could well reveal that the decision was
already taken as part of the sale.
Martin Harran
2020-08-21 10:38:11 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Martin Harran
They added: ?The team will continue to race and compete under the
Williams brand, with the chassis name remaining unchanged. Dorilton has
no plans to re-locate the team from Grove, its traditional home.?
Lets see how long that lasts.
Wonder will they keep Claire Wiiliams. The team has steadily declined
under her leadership and the only reason I can see that she has lasted
so long is that she is family.
But is that correlation or causation? Williams was already in decline,
and their finances steadily decreased (which may or may not be due to
her). It could be that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
If she couldn't stop the decline then they should have brought in
someone who could do it; that's what happens all the time in
non-family businesses. McLaren did it by dumping Ron Dennis when he
stopped delivering a result, irrespective of the success he had in
previous times.
Mark
2020-08-21 10:51:48 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Post by Mark
But is that correlation or causation? Williams was already in decline,
and their finances steadily decreased (which may or may not be due to
her). It could be that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
If she couldn't stop the decline then they should have brought in
someone who could do it; that's what happens all the time in
non-family businesses. McLaren did it by dumping Ron Dennis when he
stopped delivering a result, irrespective of the success he had in
previous times.
I also don't think it's necessarily the case that the decline would have
been handled differently by having another TP. It might have done, but
that's what I'm questioning. It could be (and we can't know) that we'd
be having the same conversation about how the change in control hadn't
slowed the decline.
(Also, I don't think that's the reason they ditched Dennis. ;-) )
Martin Harran
2020-08-21 10:57:39 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by Martin Harran
Post by Mark
But is that correlation or causation? Williams was already in decline,
and their finances steadily decreased (which may or may not be due to
her). It could be that she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
If she couldn't stop the decline then they should have brought in
someone who could do it; that's what happens all the time in
non-family businesses. McLaren did it by dumping Ron Dennis when he
stopped delivering a result, irrespective of the success he had in
previous times.
I also don't think it's necessarily the case that the decline would have
been handled differently by having another TP. It might have done, but
that's what I'm questioning.
The onus is on a business to at least try and solve a decline, not
just manage it, and I can't see any good reason for them sticking with
Claire for so long.
Post by Mark
It could be (and we can't know) that we'd
be having the same conversation about how the change in control hadn't
slowed the decline.
(Also, I don't think that's the reason they ditched Dennis. ;-) )
No, there were other things in play with Dennis but I think they would
have thought twice about dumping him if he had been delivering a
result.
Mark
2020-08-21 11:14:20 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Post by Mark
I also don't think it's necessarily the case that the decline would have
been handled differently by having another TP. It might have done, but
that's what I'm questioning.
The onus is on a business to at least try and solve a decline, not
just manage it, and I can't see any good reason for them sticking with
Claire for so long.
Agreed, but arguably (in either direction) the key to the decline was a
lack of sufficient funding which (inevitably) is linked to results.
There is a horrible catch-22 in F1 which is that (modulo discovery of
engineering tricks no-one has thought of*) results largely reflect level
of investment**.

Once in decline, there needs to be additional funding, and that's not
always possible to attract no matter how good the management are. Quite
often - including in the wider business world - the way you manage that
is through introducing a new partner or selling to a different backer.
This could be (in fact) Claire's solution to the continued decline.

Of course, it could be something else. I just think "sack the boss" is
a simple conclusion to jump to...even if it's often right.

* cf. Brawn's one year of diffuser excellence.
** Let's not mention how Ferrari manage to spend a fortune and still
miss out a lot of the time.
Bob Latham
2020-08-21 15:23:21 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
If she couldn't stop the decline then they should have brought in
someone who could do it; that's what happens all the time in
non-family businesses.
Yes.
Post by Martin Harran
McLaren did it by dumping Ron Dennis when he stopped delivering a
result, irrespective of the success he had in previous times.
Really?

Now I thought the success of the Honda Redbull combo which keeps
getting better and better vindicated Ron Dennis' gamble to do the
same. Looks to me like RD was right, without your own unique engine
supplier you're very unlikely to win a championship.

I would have thought it was F.A. who killed that potential.

Bob.
Dai Jones
2020-08-21 16:35:54 UTC
Post by Martin Harran
Post by alister
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-williams-announce-
sale-of-f1-team-to-us-investment-company.5hjIdxTo9MOBOlHkmfGjo.html
"the team said the private investment firm “recognises and appreciates
the importance of respecting and retaining Williams’ heritage and culture
and is committed to maintaining its identity”.
They added: “The team will continue to race and compete under the
Williams brand, with the chassis name remaining unchanged. Dorilton has
no plans to re-locate the team from Grove, its traditional home.”
Lets see how long that lasts.
Wonder will they keep Claire Wiiliams. The team has steadily declined
under her leadership and the only reason I can see that she has lasted
so long is that she is family.
She got the job, because Frank still wanted control. Anyone who didn't
agree with Frank, went. There's a huge list of people who've been in
and out of Williams over the last 40 years, some bad, some good and few
brilliant. Not many have stayed the course.
XYXPDQ
2020-08-21 16:30:47 UTC
Is this just some random investment fund? Do the people running it have any ties to F1 or other forms of racing or sports for that matter?
Brian Lawrence
2020-08-21 17:42:11 UTC
Post by XYXPDQ
Is this just some random investment fund? Do the people running it have any ties to F1 or other
forms of racing or sports for that matter?
Not according to their website:

https://www.doriltoncapital.com/portfolio/
XYXPDQ
2020-08-22 04:15:47 UTC
Well that's not very promising, looks like they're just looking for an ad platform.
build
2020-08-28 00:26:07 UTC
The finance behind Dorilton is BCE Ltd. I like that.
Sir Tim
2020-08-28 19:56:41 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Is this just some random investment fund? Do the people running it have
any ties to F1 or other
forms of racing or sports for that matter?
https://www.doriltoncapital.com/portfolio/
The finance behind Dorilton is BCE Ltd. I like that.
Bernie?
It’s been denied but, judging by the amount of secrecy surrounding “BCE
Ltd” it’s not impossible.