F1 drivers who started in Formula Ford...
2020-07-22 06:22:12 UTC
...which someone suggested was essentially the same as for-fun gokarts:

Michael Schumacher
Ayrton Senna
Emerson Fittipaldi
Mika Hakkinen
Jenson Button
Damon Hill
James Hunt
Nigel Mansell.
Jody Scheckter

Oh, wait!

Did I say "F1 drivers"?

I meant F1 World Champions...

...with 19 WDCs between them.

Remember: this is JUST the F1 world champions.

:-)
build
2020-07-22 08:39:33 UTC
Michael Schumacher
Ayrton Senna
Emerson Fittipaldi
Mika Hakkinen
Jenson Button
Damon Hill
James Hunt
Nigel Mansell.
Jody Scheckter
Oh, wait!
Did I say "F1 drivers"?
I meant F1 World Champions...
...with 19 WDCs between them.
Remember: this is JUST the F1 world champions.
:-)
GoKarts are unquestionably the most competitive form of motorsport.
Formula Fords were until recent times probably the most competitive form of open-wheelers and were most definitely the most competitive in the Kent engine era. Only a fool or someone who has never been to a race would suggest otherwise.

Was this suggestion on the media or just social media? I find it hard to believe anyone would be that silly.

2020-07-22 16:23:47 UTC
Michael Schumacher Ayrton Senna Emerson Fittipaldi Mika Hakkinen
Jenson Button Damon Hill James Hunt Nigel Mansell. Jody Scheckter
Oh, wait!
Did I say "F1 drivers"?
I meant F1 World Champions...
...with 19 WDCs between them.
Remember: this is JUST the F1 world champions.
:-)
GoKarts are unquestionably the most competitive form of motorsport.
I'm not sure what you mean by "most competitive", but high-end karts are
very fast.
Post by build
Formula Fords were until recent times probably the most competitive
form of open-wheelers and were most definitely the most competitive
in the Kent engine era. Only a fool or someone who has never been to
a race would suggest otherwise.
I think the big thing now is that to a certain degree (and as much as I
love mine), FF has priced itself out of the entry level.

I was talking to a buddy of mine who is a national champion (SCCA
Runoffs) in FF and who has recently started karting. He pointed out that
for less than the price of a single season running FF up here in BC, you
can afford to buy a pretty high-end racing kart.

So is it any wonder that a family like Lewis Hamilton would start him in
karting?
Post by build
Was this suggestion on the media or just social media? I find it hard
to believe anyone would be that silly.
One doesn't need to look that far afield. :-)