Daniel's DNFs
Michael Gooding
2018-10-29 19:27:07 UTC
So many in one season. Assuming no conspiracy, and I can't think of a reason there should be one, do we think pure bad luck, or is Ricciardo's driving style a factor?

Mike Gooding
__-------------
MT2
2018-10-29 19:47:45 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
So many in one season. Assuming no conspiracy, and I can't think of a reason there should be one, do we think pure bad luck, or is Ricciardo's driving style a factor?
Finger trouble his side of the garage.

---
https://www.avg.com
t***@gmail.com
2018-10-29 23:35:58 UTC
Fuck are you a useless cock sucker.
geoff
2018-10-29 20:18:50 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
So many in one season. Assuming no conspiracy, and I can't think of a reason there should be one, do we think pure bad luck, or is Ricciardo's driving style a factor?
Mike Gooding
__-------------
No reason why couldn't be just a case of extreme 'bad luck'. Look at the
mechanical bad luck HAM had last year.

geoff
MT2
2018-10-30 07:31:57 UTC
Post by geoff
Post by Michael Gooding
So many in one season. Assuming no conspiracy, and I can't think of a
reason there should be one, do we think pure bad luck, or is
Ricciardo's driving style a factor?
Mike Gooding
__-------------
No reason why couldn't be just a case of extreme 'bad luck'. Look at the
mechanical bad luck HAM had last year.
It was 2016 when Rosberg was fiddling with LH's car. He had a brand new
power unit blow up in Malaysia, which fucked his chances of winning the WDC.

---
https://www.avg.com
Brian W Lawrence
2018-10-30 17:11:57 UTC
Post by geoff
Post by Michael Gooding
So many in one season. Assuming no conspiracy, and I can't think of a
reason there should be one, do we think pure bad luck, or is
Ricciardo's driving style a factor?
Mike Gooding
__-------------
No reason why couldn't be just a case of extreme 'bad luck'. Look at
the mechanical bad luck HAM had last year.
It was 2016 when Rosberg was fiddling with LH's car.  He had a brand new
power unit blow up in Malaysia, which fucked his chances of winning the WDC.
It was his ICE which blew up, but he hadn't received a new one since
Belgium - where he had 3 new ones, the 4th, 5th & 6th of his season.
They were, I believe, installed before FP1, before FP2, and before FP3.
I assume that they were used during those 3 sessions (25 laps, 33 laps,
& 20 laps). It's likely that the 3rd of those was also used for Qually
and the race (4 laps). HAM had 55-place grid penalties, so didn't put
in a competitive lap in Q1.

Whatever ICE failed in Malaysia it doesn't seem like it was 'brand new'.

Of course I'm only going by the published FIA docs.
MT2
2018-10-30 17:27:12 UTC
Post by Brian W Lawrence
Post by geoff
Post by Michael Gooding
[...]
Hamilton built up a complete set of 'everything' when he collected the
grid penalties. He ran parts and replaced them during practice, knowing
he was going to be starting at the back of the grid. By brand new, I
meant he's run the ICE once, but hadn't raced it. Well, that's how I
remember it.

The FIA changed the rules for the next season to stop teams building a
collection of parts. McHonda were doing it so often, their drivers were
collecting 50+ grid penalties at every race. We were seeing nonsense as
per the articles below.
Post by Brian W Lawrence
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/italian-gp-starting-grid-record-168-grid-penalties-at-monza/640928/
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/jenson-button-just-received-a-record-70place-f1-grid-penalty-in-mexico/
---
https://www.avg.com
MT2
2018-10-30 20:55:04 UTC
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2016/10/hamilton--engine-failure--just-odd-.html
It was a used engine.
Hamilton had been pulling away in the lead when his engine expired on the pit straight 15 laps from the chequered flag. The Briton confirmed it was one of the three 'new' engines he had secured via multiple grid penalties in Belgium that had let go.
Hamilton's frustration told in his immediate comments to reporters in Sepang, when he said: "Something just doesn't feel right - it was a brand new engine, I'd done just one race with it.
---
https://www.avg.com

a425couple
2018-10-30 14:58:55 UTC
Post by geoff
Post by Michael Gooding
So many in one season. Assuming no conspiracy, and I can't think of a
reason there should be one, do we think pure bad luck, or is
Ricciardo's driving style a factor?
Mike Gooding
No reason why couldn't be just a case of extreme 'bad luck'.
Perhaps? But quite strange.

Red Bull reliability is certainly lower than a
team like Mercedes.

So far in 2018, Ricciardo 8 dnfs, Verstappen 3 dnfs.
In 2017 Ricciardo had 6 dnfs, Verstappen had 7.
In 2016 Ricciardo had 0, Verstappen had 3.
Post by geoff
Look at the mechanical bad luck HAM had last year.
geoff
I do not understand what you are remembering.

So far in 2018, Hamilton has had 1 dnf, Bottas 1 dnf.
In 2017 Hamilton had 0 dnfs, Bottas had 1 dnf.
In 2016 Hamilton had 2 dnfs, Rosberg had 1 dnf.

One cause of dnfs is collisions. It is had to easily
research, but off had memories are that Verstappen
has gotten into more contacts than Ricciardo.

Obviously, when you start on pole, you are less likely
to risk forceful passes.
larkim
2018-10-30 17:02:53 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by geoff
Look at the mechanical bad luck HAM had last year.
geoff
I do not understand what you are remembering.
So far in 2018, Hamilton has had 1 dnf, Bottas 1 dnf.
In 2017 Hamilton had 0 dnfs, Bottas had 1 dnf.
In 2016 Hamilton had 2 dnfs, Rosberg had 1 dnf.
One cause of dnfs is collisions. It is had to easily
research, but off had memories are that Verstappen
has gotten into more contacts than Ricciardo.
Obviously, when you start on pole, you are less likely
to risk forceful passes.
Surely it would be trivial with the electronics to dial out any ability
of the driver to harm the car these days, certainly on a routine basis when
they are driving "normally"?

I'd also expect someone in Renault or RBR to be alluding to his driving
style if DR was causing any issues for himself, especially at this stage
in his contract with the team.

Sometimes bad luck is just bad luck.
Brian W Lawrence
2018-10-30 18:19:34 UTC
One cause of dnfs is collisions.  It is had to easily
research, but off had memories are that Verstappen
has gotten into more contacts than Ricciardo.
2018 DNFs

BHR RIC (electrical); VER (collision)
AZB RIC & VER (collided with each other)
AUT RIC (exhaust)
GER RIC (PU)
HUN VER (PU)
BEL RIC (accident)
ITA RIC (clutch)
USA RIC (electrical)
MEX RIC (hydraulics)

2017

AUS RIC (PU)
BHR VER (brakes)
RUS RIC (brakes)
ESP VER (collision
CDN VER (battery)
AZB VER (engine)
AUT VER (collision)
HUN RIC (collision)
BEL VER (engine)
SIN VER (collision)
USA RIC (engine)
ABD RIC (hydraulics)

2016

VER drove for Toro Rosso in first 4 GPs.

AUS KVY (DNS)
MON VER (spun off)
USA VER (gearbox)
keithr0
2018-10-30 07:55:37 UTC
Post by Michael Gooding
So many in one season. Assuming no conspiracy, and I can't think of a reason there should be one, do we think pure bad luck, or is Ricciardo's driving style a factor?
Mike Gooding
__-------------
it's built by first year apprentices out of floor sweepings and bits
rejected from Max's car.
b***@topmail.co.nz
2018-10-30 08:00:14 UTC
He seemed awfully pissed off after latest failure.
Will Gasly take his seat for the last 2 races, as Danny boy suggested?
Sir Tim
2018-10-30 08:39:58 UTC
Post by b***@topmail.co.nz
He seemed awfully pissed off after latest failure.
Will Gasly take his seat for the last 2 races, as Danny boy suggested?
No.