Imola is possibly a go for this year?
Yousuf Khan
2020-06-13 05:32:13 UTC
So latest rumour says that after the initial 8 races, Imola is high on
the list for the still-unconfirmed post-8 races. Last race at Imola was
2006. I heard that Imola was reshaped after 2009, looking at the circuit
maps, I can barely tell any difference. The only thing I could see was
that Variante Bassa was straightened out a bit, can it still be called a
"variante"? Was there anything else that I missed?

Pre-2008:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Imola.svg

Post-2008:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Imola_2009.svg

Yousuf Khan
Mark Jackson
2020-06-13 13:32:28 UTC
Post by Yousuf Khan
So latest rumour says that after the initial 8 races, Imola is high on
the list for the still-unconfirmed post-8 races. Last race at Imola was
2006. I heard that Imola was reshaped after 2009, looking at the circuit
maps, I can barely tell any difference. The only thing I could see was
that Variante Bassa was straightened out a bit, can it still be called a
"variante"? Was there anything else that I missed?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Imola.svg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Imola_2009.svg
If

https://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/italy/imola.html#.XuTUKqYpCwU

is accurate then it's easy to see that no, there is no other difference
- and Variente Bassa only exists when the "Grand Prix Motorcycle
Circuit" is in use. (Compare the most recent 3 timeline views.)
E Lengeege weth e smell nember ef vewels cen remeen
qeete expresseve. - Steven Pinker
Yousuf Khan
2020-06-14 12:35:24 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
If
https://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/italy/imola.html#.XuTUKqYpCwU
is accurate then it's easy to see that no, there is no other difference
- and Variente Bassa only exists when the "Grand Prix Motorcycle
Circuit" is in use.  (Compare the most recent 3 timeline views.)
But, they will still be calling it Variente Bassa whether they use the
motorcycle or car configuration, right?

Yousuf Khan
Mark Jackson
2020-06-14 12:51:15 UTC
Post by Yousuf Khan
Post by Mark Jackson
If
https://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/italy/imola.html#.XuTUKqYpCwU
is accurate then it's easy to see that no, there is no other
difference - and Variente Bassa only exists when the "Grand Prix
Motorcycle Circuit" is in use.  (Compare the most recent 3 timeline
views.)
But, they will still be calling it Variente Bassa whether they use the
motorcycle or car configuration, right?
If they're not using it I doubt anyone will be referring to it at all.
b***@topmail.co.nz
Will it be called SAN MARINO GP?
Yousuf Khan
2020-06-14 12:41:37 UTC
Post by b***@topmail.co.nz
Will it be called SAN MARINO GP?
That I'm sure they will, it's what it's historically been always called,
and it looks like the Liberty is looking for as many names as it can
find to call the different races at the same circuits, or at least
within the same countries. So the traditional distinctions between Monza
and Imola have been that one was the Italian GP while the other was the
San Marino GP, so Liberty don't need to find any new names for those
two, there have already been traditionally different names chosen.

Yousuf Khan