Azerbaijan, Japanese & Singapore GPs cancelled
Add Reply
Brian Lawrence
2020-06-12 09:12:01 UTC
"Eight races in Europe, running from early July to early September and
starting with two events on consecutive weekends in Austria on 3-5 and
10-12 July, have been announced.

And BBC Sport understands it is now almost certain that two grands prix
at Germany's Hockenheim track will be added later in September.

Italy's Mugello circuit, which is owned by Ferrari, is prepared to host
a race if necessary.

In addition, F1 is still exploring the possibility of reviving the
postponed Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal on a September date before the
onset of the Quebec winter.

However they play out, F1 is likely to move on to Sochi for the Russian
Grand Prix in early October after these events.

But there is considerable uncertainty over the races in the United
States, Mexico and Brazil - three countries where the coronavirus
outbreaks are among the worst in the world."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53020714

Azerbaijan was originally scheduled for June 7, Singapore for Sept 20
& Japan for Oct 11.
Bigbird
2020-06-12 11:18:33 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53020714
Azerbaijan was originally scheduled for June 7, Singapore for Sept 20
& Japan for Oct 11.
I can see why they decided that Singapore, being a street race, would
not be able to go ahead but it seems early to cancel Japan and that
decision deserves a lot of attention.
--
"However much you deny the truth, the truth goes on existing."
~ George Orwell

Impeached President Trump 16,241 false or misleading claims in his
first three years

"So if you only watch Fox News, because it's
reinforcing what you believe, you are not an informed citizen."
Brian Lawrence
2020-06-12 12:14:36 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53020714
Azerbaijan was originally scheduled for June 7, Singapore for Sept 20
& Japan for Oct 11.
I can see why they decided that Singapore, being a street race, would
not be able to go ahead but it seems early to cancel Japan and that
decision deserves a lot of attention.
Japan has a current ban on any foreigners entering the country, which,
presumably, they are not willing to suspend or to allow any exemptions.
Bigbird
2020-06-12 16:22:24 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by Bigbird
Post by Brian Lawrence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53020714
Azerbaijan was originally scheduled for June 7, Singapore for
Sept 20 & Japan for Oct 11.
I can see why they decided that Singapore, being a street race,
would not be able to go ahead but it seems early to cancel Japan
and that decision deserves a lot of attention.
Japan has a current ban on any foreigners entering the country, which,
presumably, they are not willing to suspend or to allow any
exemptions.
This is 17 weeks away. If they are saying no visitors whatsoever by
then I think that is notable.

b***@topmail.co.nz
2020-06-13 03:13:42 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Japan has a current ban on any foreigners entering the country, which,
presumably, they are not willing to suspend or to allow any exemptions.
Moto GP in Australia was cancelled as no furriners will be allowed for many months.
But going to Russia? Sound crazy, do you believe their statistics on COVID-19?
Dex
2020-06-13 15:54:00 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by Bigbird
Post by Brian Lawrence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53020714
Azerbaijan was originally scheduled for June 7, Singapore for Sept 20
& Japan for Oct 11.
I can see why they decided that Singapore, being a street race, would
not be able to go ahead but it seems early to cancel Japan and that
decision deserves a lot of attention.
Japan has a current ban on any foreigners entering the country, which,
presumably, they are not willing to suspend or to allow any exemptions.
Apart from a couple of places all visitors to the UK must self isolate
for 2 weeks, way too late to introduce that IMO, but they're allowing an
exception for F1 teams.

Maybe by that time Japan can change.
Dan the Man
2020-06-12 13:29:51 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
[...]
A quick check of Texas' Covid-19 site shows that they're in the 'third phase' of re-opening. I'll guess that before October rolls around (four months hence), they'll be fully re-opened.

Dan
News
2020-06-12 13:37:06 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
[...]
Yes, and Tejas is also experiencing new record numbers of COVID cases,
daily. Winning!
John
2020-06-12 17:53:36 UTC
So there's a minor air born virus going around, so freaking what. It's amazing the reaction to this compared to the complete non reaction to actually deadly pathogens.
Alan Baker
2020-06-12 18:27:48 UTC
Post by John
So there's a minor air born virus going around, so freaking what.
It's amazing the reaction to this compared to the complete non
reaction to actually deadly pathogens.
It's not minor.

It has killed more people in the US than any other pathogen in the last
100 years.
build
2020-06-13 02:22:48 UTC
Post by John
So there's a minor air born virus going around, so freaking what. It's amazing the reaction to this compared to the complete non reaction to actually deadly pathogens.
I can understand you saying that if you are in Oz or NZ but if you were in Brazil you would know people who are seriously affected and most people know people who have died. Tell them.

2020-06-12 16:27:21 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
[...]
Maybe and they may have a record number of cases also.

They don't appear to have an obvious strategy. Neither containment,
slow the spread or herd immunity.

I can't see the teams wanting huge crowds if they continue not to have
a handle on things just as flu season begins.

t***@gmail.com
2020-06-15 04:26:06 UTC
Maybe and they may have a record number of cases also.
They don't appear to have an obvious strategy. Neither containment,
slow the spread or herd immunity.
I can't see the teams wanting huge crowds if they continue not to have
a handle on things just as flu season begins.
--
"However much you deny the truth, the truth goes on existing."
~ George Orwell
Impeached President Trump 16,241 false or misleading claims in his
first three years
"So if you only watch Fox News, because it's
reinforcing what you believe, you are not an informed citizen."
thank you dr fuckhead

D Munz
2020-06-12 16:37:47 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
& Japan for Oct 11.
A quick check of Texas' Covid-19 site shows that they're in the 'third phase' of re-opening. I'll guess that before October rolls around (four months hence), they'll be fully re-opened.
Dan
Ignore any news about Texas for the time being. We are very bi-polar here.

I went to Galveston (straight south of Houston on the Gulf of Mexico) with my family yesterday and hung out at the beach. People were very good about staying spread out. When we were ready to go home, we drove around the seawalll and restaurant ares where NO ONE had masks on. Old, young, kids all packed pretty close together. It looked like a "normal" day for that part of the island. Granted it was sunny, very ow humidity for us with a strong breeze. But still. And from what we could see, the restraints were full up.

This morning on the other hand, I went out to pick up groceries and almost EVERYONE was wearing a mask. It's just crazy.

We should know the real picture around the end of August. Once they start announcing what is happening in the public schools and universities.

Having said all that, I except the race at COTA to go ahead as long as they can sort out the travel. It won't be hard to get the teams in and out as the international airport is right there and we probably won't have restrictions on people coming into the country but it will depend on what is happening with team members between now and then.

2020-06-13 02:16:53 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
[...]
G'day Brian,
Brazil won't happen.
None of the planned races have spectators.
Liberty are stressing the word "fluid" (it's been a popular word lately). So all races are provisional for now.

It is worth remembering that F1 has a lot of scary smart people. If any sport can make it happen, F1 will.

It is worth reading Joe Sawards stuff although I'm not sure how much he puts on the free blog.

cheers,