Honda engines
2019-06-20 08:27:35 UTC
Just this week I listened to an Autosport mini-podcast which was praising
the Honda engine strategy, taking the newer spec 2nd engine early with an
expectation that it could go the full 7 race-weekend duty cycle to limit
the amount of penalties.

And then I read today that they are passing on new engines this weekend
to both RBR and STR.

Are they taking the 2nd spec iteration out of the pool, and running the rest
of the year as a development cycle on the 3rd spec? Or is this just an early
upgrade, and they'll revert to the older spec later in the year to manage
the penalty situation a bit better?
~misfit~
2019-06-20 12:34:31 UTC
Just this week I listened to an Autosport mini-podcast which was praising
the Honda engine strategy, taking the newer spec 2nd engine early with an
expectation that it could go the full 7 race-weekend duty cycle to limit
the amount of penalties.
And then I read today that they are passing on new engines this weekend
to both RBR and STR.
Are they taking the 2nd spec iteration out of the pool, and running the rest
of the year as a development cycle on the 3rd spec? Or is this just an early
upgrade, and they'll revert to the older spec later in the year to manage
the penalty situation a bit better?
This the thing you watched
?

Because towards the end they talk about how good it would be for Honda to get their Spec 3 engine
into the car before the summer break.

2019-06-21 08:57:57 UTC
This the thing you watched http://youtu.be/f4tdWwnz8BA ?
Because towards the end they talk about how good it would be for Honda to get their Spec 3 engine
into the car before the summer break.
I didn't watch, it was on the Autosport Podcast - though they did say I
think that they cribbed it from another outlet of theirs, so that's probably
the same thing. It is the same audio, just checked.

"Before the summer break" to me implies UK or Germany, not France.

If their revised plan is to run the spec 3 engine for the next 14 races,
they'd better hope there are no reliability issues - I can see that being
a logical approach, but given they'd only run the spec 2 for 1 race, it
surprises me that they've not given that at least 2 or 3 race weekends to
run at full chat and get some feedback.

Am I understanding this properly then - they had Spec 1 for races 1,2,3,
then swapped to spec 2 in Baku and run this therefore for 4 races.

They are now swapping to spec 3 which they either are 100% certain will
do 7 races, as will engine #4 (presuming another upgrade). But if that's
wrong, they may end up needing a 5th engine with the consequent penalties.

That would be RBR taking 2x penalty hits.

I'm just surprised they've not run out spec 2 for another 2 races at least,
to reduce the risk of spec 3 not lasting the distance that they expect.
~misfit~
2019-06-21 11:50:46 UTC
[...]
They can keep the spec 2 ICEs in the pool for re-use at a later date (all of their used ICEs stay
in the pool AIUI - or at least the allowed three for the season can, not sure if others can).

Maybe they're very happy with their improvements to date and want to give RBR the option of taking
2x penalty hits if they think running the updated ICEs is worth it. Or perhaps they really want to
build on the new parts in spec 3 for spec 4 and need data on how it goes NOW to get enough lead-time.

Also bringing the spec 3 in now gives RBR more options as to WHEN they take penalties. Honda is
bringing these updates with full consultation with RBR so they must be happy with the situation.

2019-06-21 09:10:10 UTC
Just this week I listened to an Autosport mini-podcast which was praising
the Honda engine strategy, taking the newer spec 2nd engine early with an
expectation that it could go the full 7 race-weekend duty cycle to limit
the amount of penalties.
And then I read today that they are passing on new engines this weekend
to both RBR and STR.
Are they taking the 2nd spec iteration out of the pool, and running the rest
of the year as a development cycle on the 3rd spec? Or is this just an early
upgrade, and they'll revert to the older spec later in the year to manage
the penalty situation a bit better?
This the thing you watched http://youtu.be/f4tdWwnz8BA ?
Because towards the end they talk about how good it would be for Honda to get their Spec 3 engine
into the car before the summer break.
And blimey, Edd Straw doesn't look at all what I'd expected him to look
like!
~misfit~
2019-06-21 11:51:33 UTC
[...]
He sure is an imposing bloke.