When did regulations change to allow regaining position on FL?
a425couple
2019-04-15 02:01:45 UTC
When did regulations change to allow a driver to
regaining his position (in other words, pass other cars)
after a driver has spun while on a FL / Formation Lap?

As I read it, it now allows it:
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Race_start_procedure.html

So, I guess it is not a full course yellow.
~misfit~
2019-04-15 02:37:36 UTC
While wearing a T-shirt that said "Usenet will Never Die" a425couple
Post by a425couple
When did regulations change to allow a driver to
regaining his position (in other words, pass other cars)
after a driver has spun while on a FL / Formation Lap?
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Race_start_procedure.html
So, I guess it is not a full course yellow.
I wondered that, Brundle certainly wasn't aware as when Max spun he said as
long as he doesn't fall to the back of the field he can re-take his position
(which were the rules as I understood them). Then Robert spun and ended up
at the back I thought he'd have to stay there but he didn't, he started in
his grid position. Brundle was silent about it and I fully expected to see
there was an investiation..

However reading that it seems the rules have indeed changed. There's no date
though.

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for vruses by any half-arsed
software.
t***@gmail.com
This info from your pirated F1 tv coverage?
Bigbird
2019-04-15 05:26:56 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Post by a425couple
So, I guess it is not a full course yellow.
I wondered that, Brundle certainly wasn't aware as when Max spun he
said as long as he doesn't fall to the back of the field he can
re-take his position (which were the rules as I understood them).
Then Robert spun and ended up at the back I thought he'd have to stay
there but he didn't, he started in his grid position. Brundle was
silent about it and I fully expected to see there was an
investiation..
However reading that it seems the rules have indeed changed. There's
no date though.
What rule do you think has changed? I didn't spot anything relevant
that has changed this century.
--
Trump fact check:
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,857 false claims
That’s the 11th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
Brian Lawrence
2019-04-17 11:15:27 UTC
Post by a425couple
When did regulations change to allow a driver to
regaining his position (in other words, pass other cars)
after a driver has spun while on a FL / Formation Lap?
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Race_start_procedure.html
So, I guess it is not a full course yellow.
That rule (38.6) has existed in the same wording for many years.

Here is the 2000 Sporting Regs:

http://www.f1-racing.org/regulations2000.html

Article 139

While checking I came across this:

<http://www.somersf1.co.uk/p/fia-formula-one-technical-regulations.html>

There are some Sporting Regs there too, but the Tech Regs. go
back to 1968.
a425couple
2019-04-17 16:31:11 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by a425couple
When did regulations change to allow a driver to
regaining his position (in other words, pass other cars)
after a driver has spun while on a FL / Formation Lap?
https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Race_start_procedure.html
So, I guess it is not a full course yellow.
That rule (38.6) has existed in the same wording for many years.
http://www.f1-racing.org/regulations2000.html
Article 139
<http://www.somersf1.co.uk/p/fia-formula-one-technical-regulations.html>
There are some Sporting Regs there too, but the Tech Regs. go
back to 1968.
OK. Thank you.
I guess spinning out just before the start of the race
is so unusual in F1, that it is tough for me to always
keep it straight from other race series.
Also, in the past, when F1 drivers have done it, they have
often enough been damaged, or up in a sand trap, or
just a dead engine, so regaining position was not
an option.