A video from a Monza practice crash
a425couple
2018-08-31 16:23:49 UTC
from
https://jalopnik.com/f1-driver-walks-away-from-220-mph-crash-1828741557

F1 Driver Walks Away From 220 MPH Crash

Alanis King
Today 10:24amFiled to: FORMULA ONE

GIF: Fábio Leite
Just a few days ago, Formula One and its governing body, the FIA,
announced they were extending the zones for using the sport’s
drag-reduction system at several more tracks this season. Already an
apparent mishap with the system sent driver Marcus Ericsson into a freak
crash at Italian Grand Prix practice.

Ericsson was fine afterward despite ESPN reporting that he was going 220
mph at the time, with the F1 Twitter account quoting him as saying he
didn’t know how the crash happened. That’s understandable, since his car
randomly shot to the left and into a wall. Here’s a clip:

The crash tore both of the front wheels loose from Ericsson’s car,
leaving it in a mangled heap when it finally stopped tumbling. It didn’t
take long for people to notice from the back view of Ericsson’s car that
his DRS system didn’t appear shut off when he went to brake for the
corner after the long straightaway, with the Sky Sports F1 account
tweeting a screenshot of the back end of it.

Here’s a shot just before his car hit the wall, via a replay on the F1
website:

DRS is driver-actuated, and flips up the mid section of the car’s rear
wing in certain zones and situations on the track to reduce drag and up
top speed at the expense of grip. Flip up DRS while you’re going on the
straight chasing another car, flip it down once you need to brake and
turn. It looks like Ericsson’s DRS stayed on all the way into the start
of his spin toward the wall, sending him rolling down the barrier and
sending marshals running in the other direction.

The F1 Twitter account posted a photo of Ericsson’s Sauber F1 team
working on his teammate Charles Leclerc’s car, saying mechanics were
adjusting Leclerc’s rear wing and that the team’s “treading carefully
after Ericsson’s crash.”

After Leclerc’s nightmare crash last weekend, that’s probably a good idea.

RECOMMENDED STORIES
bra
2018-08-31 18:45:23 UTC
Scary-fast, but it looks as though the G forces would not have been too bad.
a425couple
2018-09-01 16:56:26 UTC
Post by a425couple
from
https://jalopnik.com/f1-driver-walks-away-from-220-mph-crash-1828741557
F1 Driver Walks Away From 220 MPH Crash
Scary-fast, but it looks as though the G forces would not have been too bad.
Yes. They dissipated the energy over 700 meters.
If I remember correctly, they said the first impact
into the wall was around 18 Gs, then later a 28 G
hit.
Walking normally, smiling, giving a thumbs up.
bra
The G forces I would really like to discover are Raikkonen's, given his stupendous speed! Any teams revealing transient G's in corners?
geoff
2018-09-02 02:29:43 UTC
Post by a425couple
from
https://jalopnik.com/f1-driver-walks-away-from-220-mph-crash-1828741557
F1 Driver Walks Away From 220 MPH Crash
Scary-fast, but it looks as though the G forces would not have been too bad.
Yes.  They dissipated the energy over 700 meters.
If I remember correctly, they said the first impact
into the wall was around 18 Gs, then later a 28 G
hit.
Walking normally, smiling, giving a thumbs up.
Naa, other way around.

2018-09-02 02:46:51 UTC
Post by a425couple
from
https://jalopnik.com/f1-driver-walks-away-from-220-mph-crash-1828741557
F1 Driver Walks Away From 220 MPH Crash
Scary-fast, but it looks as though the G forces would not have been too bad.
Yes. They dissipated the energy over 700 meters.
If I remember correctly, they said the first impact
into the wall was around 18 Gs, then later a 28 G
hit.
Walking normally, smiling, giving a thumbs up.
Naa, other way around.
Sky said that, going by the telemetry the initial impact was 15 G then a max
of 28 G was recorded "whilst he was airborne". To me it looked like the 28 G
may have been as he landed because the car wasn't spinning enough to create
28 G while airborne.

2018-09-02 03:43:36 UTC
Sky said that,
You pirating piece of shit.