Wingman "not too happy"
2018-07-30 10:55:10 UTC
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/mercedes-f1-driver-valtteri-bottas-upset-being-called-lewis-hamiltons-wing-man

(Photo) Valtteri Bottas spent much of Sunday's F1 Hungarian Grand Prix
making life difficult for Sebastian Vettel (5) and Kimi Räikkönen.

MERCEDES F1 DRIVER VALTTERI BOTTAS UPSET AT BEING CALLED LEWIS
HAMILTON'S 'WINGMAN'

Bottas does not want to be a pawn to help Hamilton win another title

JULY 29, 2018

Mercedes F1 driver Valtteri Bottas was not too happy to hear Mercedes
team boss Toto Wolff describing him as a "sensational wingman" to Lewis
Hamilton during the Hungarian Grand Prix -- a race where Hamilton took
the win while Bottas spent much of the race apparently playing defense
more than offense before finishing fifth.

Hamilton, who appeared to have the best car in the field, was helped by
Bottas through much of the race as Bottas ran in second and kept
hard-charging Ferrari drivers Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Räikkönen in the
rearview mirror as Hamilton pulled away.

There comes a point in every season where a team must put all their eggs
into one basket. Now 81 points behind Hamilton in the championship,
Bottas appeared a little hurt that just days after he signed a contract
extension, Mercedes team officials seem to have decided that now is the
time to make that call.

“Well first of all, ‘wingman’ hurts,” said Bottas. “Second of all, I
don’t see any positives in this race for me. I wanted a better result.
We thought, in theory, we should have been able to do that one-stop
(strategy). We had to stop earlier than we wanted because of Kimi
(Räikkönen), we had to cover him and still, 20 laps before the end
everything was feeling OK. We could control the pace and my position,
but then it was just the rear tires started to die.

“I tried to defend the best I could, as aggressive as I could but it
just ended up being a bit of a mess in the end with a broken front wing
and everything.”

Speaking more directly about Wolff’s comments of Bottas' being a
‘wingman’ to Hamilton, the Finn added, “I think we need to speak after
this race. We are over halfway through the year. The points gap is big,
so for sure the team will decide at some point.”
b***@topmail.co.nz
2018-08-02 08:51:31 UTC
presumably they renewed his contract to be a loyal number 2 driver.
And if he helps Lewis win the WDC before the end of the year, he will be
allowed to win a race in November....
M2T
2018-08-02 14:43:12 UTC
How many would he be winning at Williams ?
t***@gmail.com
2018-08-02 20:00:46 UTC
How many would he be winning at Williams ?
fuck you
Martin Harran
2018-08-03 07:58:26 UTC
http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/mercedes-f1-driver-valtteri-bottas-upset-being-called-lewis-hamiltons-wing-man
[...]

I can't actually think of any F1 driver less in need of a wingman than
Hamilton.
News