Death of a Legend
2020-04-12 10:53:28 UTC
Sir Stirling Moss - one of the greatest racing drivers of all time and
immortalized in the phrase: “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”,
often uttered by a member of the constabulary.
Darryl Johnson
2020-04-12 14:51:36 UTC
Sir Stirling Moss - one of the greatest racing drivers of all time and
immortalized in the phrase: “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”,
often uttered by a member of the constabulary.
The details are foggy, after all this time, but I remember hearing
about his big crash and his hospitalization for head injuries. Then
after a long rehabilitation, he tried driving again only to decide
that he had lost that edge and announced his formal retirement.

I saw the man once, at the old Mosport track in Canada (now known as
Canadian Tire Motorsport track). I suspect that was back in the 60s or
70s. He wasn't driving -- that I recall -- but he was in the paddock
area signing autographs. Corners 5 and 5a at Mosport were named after
him -- I think he had something to do with the design of the track. I
don't know if the corners are still officially called Moss Corner,
but they remain so in the minds of many.
Sir Tim
2020-04-12 17:45:24 UTC
Post by Darryl Johnson
Post by Sir Tim
Sir Stirling Moss - one of the greatest racing drivers of all time and
immortalized in the phrase: “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”,
often uttered by a member of the constabulary.
The details are foggy, after all this time, but I remember hearing
about his big crash and his hospitalization for head injuries. Then
after a long rehabilitation, he tried driving again only to decide
that he had lost that edge and announced his formal retirement.
The crash happened at St. Mary’s, Goodwood, cause still, afaik, unknown. I
believe Sid Watkins later said that Moss could have fully recovered his
former skills if he had given himself more time.
Post by Darryl Johnson
I saw the man once, at the old Mosport track in Canada (now known as
Canadian Tire Motorsport track). I suspect that was back in the 60s or
70s. He wasn't driving -- that I recall -- but he was in the paddock
area signing autographs. Corners 5 and 5a at Mosport were named after
him -- I think he had something to do with the design of the track. I
don't know if the corners are still officially called Moss Corner,
but they remain so in the minds of many.
I never saw him drive in F1, apart from on TV, he had retired by the time I
could afford to go to GPs, but I did see him drive a variety of machinery
(including Rowan Atkinson’s Jaguar Mk X) at Goodwood Revival meetings

There is a corner on the Brands Hatch GP circuit called “Stirling’s”. Many
people think it was named for Moss but it was actually a local farmer!
2020-04-12 22:49:00 UTC
Post by Darryl Johnson
I saw the man once, at the old Mosport track in Canada (now known as
Canadian Tire Motorsport track). I suspect that was back in the 60s or
70s. He wasn't driving -- that I recall -- but he was in the paddock
area signing autographs. Corners 5 and 5a at Mosport were named after
him -- I think he had something to do with the design of the track. I
don't know if the corners are still officially called Moss Corner,
but they remain so in the minds of many.
I never saw him drive in F1, apart from on TV, he had retired by the time I
could afford to go to GPs, but I did see him drive a variety of machinery
(including Rowan Atkinson’s Jaguar Mk X) at Goodwood Revival meetings
There is a corner on the Brands Hatch GP circuit called “Stirling’s”. Many
people think it was named for Moss but it was actually a local farmer!
Sounds a bit like a cross betwen VET and MAL from what I've read.

2020-04-12 23:40:01 UTC
Post by Darryl Johnson
[...]
I’d be interested to know what possible similarities you can see between
Moss and Vettel or Maldonado.

I’m above certain that neither would have supported a protest by a fellow
driver against disqualification as Moss did in 1958 when he testified on
behalf of Mike Hawthorn, who was accused of an infraction in the Portugal
Grand Prix. Hawthorn, as a result, was not disqualified. When the season
ended, Hawthorn had 42 points, which were then given for factors like
fastest lap as well as finishing position. Moss - though he had four Grand
Prix wins to Hawthorn’s one - finished second with 41 points.
2020-04-13 01:12:03 UTC
Post by Darryl Johnson
[...]
"Win at all costs, or why else are you here". Or quote something along
those lines.

2020-04-13 07:46:13 UTC
Post by Darryl Johnson
[...]
Moss was certainly highly competitive, and much more professional than the
devil-may-care Hawthorn, but he would never have indulged in Maldonado-type
tactics, it was simply too dangerous. In those days the drivers all knew
each other well, and many were close friends, so the high rate of
fatalaties hit them hard.
2020-04-13 18:12:11 UTC
Post by Darryl Johnson
[...]
I can attest to the fact that my fellow open wheel racers are much more
respectful about not making contact with each other than our friends who
race in the closed wheel groups.

We all understand our vulnerability, and unlike those who drive modern
carbon fibre composite cars, ours are frame and tube cars very much like
those driven by Moss at the end of his career and not all that far off
in terms of speed, either. :-)
keithr0
2020-04-13 05:19:30 UTC
Sir Stirling Moss - one of the greatest racing drivers of all time and
immortalized in the phrase: “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”,
often uttered by a member of the constabulary.
Another teen age hero gone, the 1961 Monaco is still about my favourite
GP even though it got me into trouble with my girlfriend - I was
supposed to take her out but couldn't drag myself away from the TV.

The difference between Moss (and most of his contemporaries) and the
current crop of F1 drivers is that they didn't just drive F1 cars, I
probably got more excitement reading DSJs account of riding with Moss in
the 1955 Mille Miglia as I've got from watching modern F1 races.
Sir Tim
2020-04-13 07:41:35 UTC
Post by keithr0
Post by Sir Tim
Sir Stirling Moss - one of the greatest racing drivers of all time and
immortalized in the phrase: “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”,
often uttered by a member of the constabulary.
Another teen age hero gone, the 1961 Monaco is still about my favourite
GP even though it got me into trouble with my girlfriend - I was
supposed to take her out but couldn't drag myself away from the TV.
The difference between Moss (and most of his contemporaries) and the
current crop of F1 drivers is that they didn't just drive F1 cars, I
probably got more excitement reading DSJs account of riding with Moss in
the 1955 Mille Miglia as I've got from watching modern F1 races.
Yes, Moss would drive pretty much anything with four wheels: F1, F2, sports
cars, long distance rally cars, he even held the Class F land speed record
at one time.

The 1955 MM was possibly Moss’s greatest drive, he finished about 30
minutes ahead of Fangio IIRC.
d***@warpmail.net
2020-04-13 18:56:56 UTC
Great driver, well documented that sheep-shagger Hamilton didn't like him though, did he. I wonder why? We all know why.
geoff
2020-04-13 20:59:09 UTC
Post by d***@warpmail.net
Post by Sir Tim
Sir Stirling Moss - one of the greatest racing drivers of all time and
immortalized in the phrase: “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”,
often uttered by a member of the constabulary.
Great driver, well documented that sheep-shagger Hamilton didn't like him though, did he. I wonder why? We all know why.
Ooops, posting from the wrong nym ?

2020-04-15 05:28:02 UTC
Ooops, posting from the wrong nym ?
geoff
as if the answer would make
a difference in your pathetic existence
Heron
2020-04-15 23:59:13 UTC
Post by d***@warpmail.net
Post by Sir Tim
Sir Stirling Moss - one of the greatest racing drivers of all time and
immortalized in the phrase: “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”,
often uttered by a member of the constabulary.
Great driver, well documented that sheep-shagger Hamilton didn't like him though, did he. I wonder why? We all know why.
Here's an article, replete with quotes, that gives lie to the type of
undocumented charge that the above bullshit artist constantly spews:

“He always had great stories” – Hamilton on Moss
https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/15/racefans-round-up-15-04-3/
Sir Tim
2020-04-16 12:33:42 UTC
Post by Heron
Post by d***@warpmail.net
Post by Sir Tim
Sir Stirling Moss - one of the greatest racing drivers of all time and
immortalized in the phrase: “who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?”,
often uttered by a member of the constabulary.
Great driver, well documented that sheep-shagger Hamilton didn't like
him though, did he. I wonder why? We all know why.
Here's an article, replete with quotes, that gives lie to the type of
“He always had great stories” – Hamilton on Moss
https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/15/racefans-round-up-15-04-3/
Yes, there’s no doubt that Moss and Hamilton - each the fastest man of his
day - had huge respect for each other.

By the bye, the article mentions that it was often the male habit in Moss’s
time to refer to women as “crumpet”. Shockingly non-PC today of course but
I can confirm that it was so. Suppose I ought to be ashamed of myself.
2020-04-16 18:26:31 UTC
Suppose I ought to be ashamed of myself.
Why not, keep on accelerating
your aging process.
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-18 02:53:20 UTC
Suppose I ought to be ashamed of myself.
And your rotten teeth too. Fucking pig
Dave Garrett
2020-04-20 04:31:06 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@brooklands.co.uk
says...
Post by Sir Tim
time to refer to women as ?crumpet?. Shockingly non-PC today of course but
I can confirm that it was so. Suppose I ought to be ashamed of myself.
In a 1964 road test of the Jaguar E-Type, Road & Track columnist Henry
N. Manney III famously referred to it as "the greatest crumpet collector
known to man".
Dave
Sir Tim
2020-04-20 08:36:36 UTC
Post by Dave Garrett
says...
Post by Sir Tim
By the bye, the article mentions that it was often the male habit in
Moss?s
I’m pretty sure Stirling would have used the phrase, it was common currency
in male company in those days.
Even worse, perhaps, was the objectification of women in phrases such as:
“Cor, look at the arse on that!” Although, come to think if it, in these
days of gender neutality that may not be so bad :-)
2020-04-21 05:04:19 UTC
“Cor, look at the arse on that!” Although, come to think if it, in these
days of gender neutality that may not be so bad :-)
You old fag. logoff