Interesting Canadian GP Qualifying!
Add Reply
a425couple
2019-06-08 21:49:27 UTC
My DVR did not get it all.
But the results seem pretty interesting to me!

Not the regular old side by side, 2 by 2.
Alan Baker
2019-06-08 21:56:38 UTC
Post by a425couple
My DVR did not get it all.
Always set sports events to record extra!
a425couple
2019-06-08 22:55:01 UTC
Post by a425couple
My DVR did not get it all.
Always set sports events to record extra!
Yes. We always did that before.
But we recently switched providers, and all new 'box' etc.
So all the old personal touches, will have to be set again.
~misfit~
2019-06-09 02:07:49 UTC
Post by a425couple
My DVR did not get it all.
But the results seem pretty interesting to me!
Not the regular old side by side, 2 by 2.
Looking good for an interesting race. The Mercs are very quick through the first two sectors but
the Ferraris have 0.4s on them in sector 3. If Hamilton doesn't get the lead at the start and can
stay close enough through the first two sectors maybe the DRS zone in sector 3 will allow him to
get past Seb?

By the same token the Ferraris might have trouble staying close enough through those first sectors
to take advantage of sector 3 DRS... That said there are THREE DRS zones <shakes head> so it might
not quite so clear-cut as that.

Nice to see Dan starting in P4 ahead of both Red Bulls even if it's not exactly on merit over RBR's
good driver. Max didn't make Q3 due to the Hass crash but Dan's Q3 time was a legit 0.5s faster
than Gas-man and more than 0.2s ahead of Hulkenburg.

2019-06-09 04:55:23 UTC
Good for Renault too to be out qualifying both McLarens too.
Bigbird
2019-06-09 10:04:50 UTC
Post by a425couple
My DVR did not get it all.
But the results seem pretty interesting to me!
Not the regular old side by side, 2 by 2.
Looking good for an interesting race. The Mercs are very quick
through the first two sectors but the Ferraris have 0.4s on them in
sector 3.
From best sectors 2/10ths but qualifying and race pace are not the same
thing.
Post by ~misfit~
If Hamilton doesn't get the lead at the start and can stay
close enough through the first two sectors maybe the DRS zone in
sector 3 will allow him to get past Seb?
By the same token the Ferraris might have trouble staying close
enough through those first sectors to take advantage of sector 3
DRS... That said there are THREE DRS zones <shakes head> so it might
not quite so clear-cut as that.
The Ferraris have a 5/6k advantage on the straights.

Being strong in different places does give hope of some opportunities.
--
Trump fact check:
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
~misfit~
2019-06-09 12:38:10 UTC
Post by a425couple
My DVR did not get it all.
But the results seem pretty interesting to me!
Not the regular old side by side, 2 by 2.
Looking good for an interesting race. The Mercs are very quick
through the first two sectors but the Ferraris have 0.4s on them in
sector 3.
From best sectors 2/10ths but qualifying and race pace are not the same
thing.
Ahh ok, thanks. Hamilton said that they went into qualifying knowing that the Ferraris had 0.6s a
lap over the Mercedes, mainly in the last sector so he needed to over-drive in the rest of the lap
to keep up with them. (Or words to that effect.) So I figured 0.4s might be about right.
If Hamilton doesn't get the lead at the start and can stay
close enough through the first two sectors maybe the DRS zone in
sector 3 will allow him to get past Seb?
By the same token the Ferraris might have trouble staying close
enough through those first sectors to take advantage of sector 3
DRS... That said there are THREE DRS zones <shakes head> so it might
not quite so clear-cut as that.
The Ferraris have a 5/6k advantage on the straights.
Being strong in different places does give hope of some opportunities.
Fingers crossed.

2019-06-10 09:29:06 UTC
Post by a425couple
My DVR did not get it all.
But the results seem pretty interesting to me!
Not the regular old side by side, 2 by 2.
Looking good for an interesting race. The Mercs are very quick
through the first two sectors but the Ferraris have 0.4s on them in
sector 3.
From best sectors 2/10ths but qualifying and race pace are not the same
thing.
Post by ~misfit~
If Hamilton doesn't get the lead at the start and can stay
close enough through the first two sectors maybe the DRS zone in
sector 3 will allow him to get past Seb?
By the same token the Ferraris might have trouble staying close
enough through those first sectors to take advantage of sector 3
DRS... That said there are THREE DRS zones <shakes head> so it might
not quite so clear-cut as that.
The Ferraris have a 5/6k advantage on the straights.
Being strong in different places does give hope of some opportunities.
--
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
Last week’s total: 31 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
Watching the live time gaps on in the race, what I thought was interesting
was that the Ferrari advantage on the straight was almost all gained on the
entry / exit to the hairpin.

Lap after lap in the final 20 laps or so, Hamilton would approach the
corner 0.7s behind and leave it 0.9-1.0s behind with that gap maintained
fairly consistently until the chicane. Obviously Hamilton benefits on the
straight from something of a tow, but that initial increase in the gap made
life very difficult for him.

I don't think it was Vettel's positioning, it was just the fundamental
drive / traction out of that slow corner which seemed to be the factor.

Though I suppose it could have been apex speed through the hairpin too.
Bigbird
2019-06-10 10:28:58 UTC
Post by a425couple
My DVR did not get it all.
But the results seem pretty interesting to me!
Not the regular old side by side, 2 by 2.
Looking good for an interesting race. The Mercs are very quick
through the first two sectors but the Ferraris have 0.4s on them
in sector 3.
From best sectors 2/10ths but qualifying and race pace are not the
same thing.
Post by ~misfit~
[...]
I think that Mercedes front wing efficiency suffers too much in
turbulence. Neither could get off the hairpin well when behind other
cars. Vettel looked like he had more like a 10km/h advantage than 5.

DRS appeared to give 7 to 9 km/h and slipstream another 6 to 8 km/h for
some cars, through the speedtrap. Hamilton's top speed was 329 compared
with Bottas 331 and Stroll 336. I'm not sure what to make of it but the
Mercedes design/setup was not conducive to passing yesterday.
larkim
2019-06-10 11:16:04 UTC
Post by a425couple
My DVR did not get it all.
But the results seem pretty interesting to me!
Not the regular old side by side, 2 by 2.
Looking good for an interesting race. The Mercs are very quick
through the first two sectors but the Ferraris have 0.4s on them
in sector 3.
From best sectors 2/10ths but qualifying and race pace are not the
same thing.
Post by ~misfit~
[...]
I was interesting though that in the medium speed corners, i.e. many of the
chicanes in between T1 and the hairpin, the Mercedes didn't seem to lose
anything. It was only at the hairpin where (if I understand correctly)
raw mechanical grip (i.e. tyres / suspension only) is more evident than the
impact of aero to drive additional mechanical grip, that Hamilton suffered
in comparison with the Ferrari. Maybe that picture was flattered by the
amount of DRS use he could get, but it did just look like raw traction
out of the hairpin was the issue.

t***@gmail.com
2019-06-09 14:59:09 UTC
Looking good for an interesting race.
In your case an interesting pirated race. Thief, loser.
John
2019-06-09 21:29:00 UTC
Why was Bottas so relatively slow both in Q3 and then the race?