Children being programmed...
2018-04-18 06:48:25 UTC
... to fulfill their fathers dreams. Child abuse?

Nico really doesn't look happy in that. If I'd seen that before he won WDC I
would have expected his retirement.

Must admit I didn't watch all of that as I don't like Jos.

2018-04-18 14:23:44 UTC
I don't like Jos.
Ya you said that yesterday.
You are losing your fucking mind.
You fucking moron.
fnot
2018-04-19 00:46:49 UTC
We all love you sweetheart !
Edmund
2018-04-18 14:41:33 UTC
... to fulfill their fathers dreams. Child abuse?
http://youtu.be/-fj-nXrYGAE
Nico really doesn't look happy in that. If I'd seen that before he won WDC I
would have expected his retirement.
http://youtu.be/qdv3jMQWXE0
Must admit I didn't watch all of that as I don't like Jos.
Yeah those billionaires sons have a terrible life compared to
the working class kids.

2018-04-18 14:59:47 UTC
... to fulfill their fathers dreams. Child abuse?
Classic textbook stuff. Carl Jung wrote quite a bit out it. I think he said that children too often live a "conditional life", hoping always that they are performing what their father (shh) failed to --- that the father tries to re-live or invent a more successful manhood than he had, in his son.

You only have to watch soccer dads on the sideline, red-faced, bellowing, waving their fists, displaying manliness. It may look like encouragement, but it is desperation, because win or lose, the poor kid cannot create what dad really wants.

Look at this: Loading Image...
bra
2018-04-18 15:05:09 UTC
Look at this: http://www.oldstox.com/images/GRAHAM%20and%20DAMON%20Hill.jpg
Yes, G.Hill was very "successful", but his team all said he was an unsatisfiable obsessive (which of course is one way to become champ, but not the only way). Damon once said that among his immediate emotions when he heard of his father's death, was a weight lifting off hi shoulders.

Actually, if anyone has the calm intelligence and honest reflection to clarify this dynamic, Damon Hill is your man. I also remember him being interviewed about various post-F1 ventures, and about dropping them. He said "You have to ask yourself how much money is enough money, really." Damon recognized the urges and imposed ambitions that could not be satisfied. Wise man, in my book.
Bobster
2018-04-18 15:14:31 UTC
... to fulfill their fathers dreams. Child abuse?
Is it only possible child abuse by unfulfilled fathers if you don't like the driver?

Brendon Hartley's dad was a race driver who got all the way to Formula Atlantic. Brendon was racing karts age 6. Scott Dixon started racing at age 7, and his dad had raced on dirt tracks.

Many sportspersons in many disciplines start young and must have at least a bit of nudging from parents.
Dan the Man
The most egregious example I can think of (in a different sport) is former NFL quarterback Todd Marinovich. His dad (I think he was a high-school coach) trained him mercilessly to be a QB, even going so far as to train him to throw lefthanded (Todd was a natural righty). The younger Marinovich got through college ball and had a brief spell with the Oakland Raiders of the NFL. He eventually self-destructed (drugs), and his career went kaput. You can only push a kid so far...
Bobster
2018-04-18 19:27:55 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
[...]
There's plenty of examples of success and of destruction, and of things in between.

Using the best figures I can get, the average starting age for the current F1 drivers is 7.8 years of age. Romain Grosjean was the latest starter - age 14.

9 of them had a father who raced.

There doesn't seem to be a strong correlation between having a parent who raced and starting young.

Hamilton is in his 12th season, and won at least one race in each of the previous 11 seasons.
build
2018-04-24 07:04:32 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
[...]
For obvious reasons it's not surprising that many F1 drivers come from racing families.

Current F1 Drivers
Sebastian Vettel. Father was a hill climb driver.
Dan Ricciardo. Father raced Sedans.
Max Verstappen. Father, Jos the boss (F1).
Fernando Alonso. Father raced Karts.
Carlos Sainz. Father Carlos snr is a World Champion.
Pierre Gasly. Grandfather, father and brothers all race.
Brendon Hartley. Father is a well known Kiwi racer and brother also races.
Kevin Magnussen. Father Jan (F1).
Charles Leclerc. Father raced.
Sergio Perez. Family races.

There may be others.
~misfit~
2018-04-19 01:30:43 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
... to fulfill their fathers dreams. Child abuse?
Is it only possible child abuse by unfulfilled fathers if you don't like the driver?
I've never not liked Rosberg. I used to admire as a driver him until I
realised how he had little natural talent from driving and how driven he was
(instilled in him very young...), enough to paint outside the normal lines
of competition. Now I admire him again as a person for his achievements in
the face of little talent and his fortitude in gaining said achievement. I
also admire him for his very public act of self-emancipation once he
attained WDC status and equality (in his eyes) with his father. If he were a
natural competitor he would have wanted to continue at least until he became
'better than' Keke.
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Bobster
Brendon Hartley's dad was a race driver who got all the way to
Formula Atlantic. Brendon was racing karts age 6. Scott Dixon
started racing at age 7, and his dad had raced on dirt tracks.
Many sportspersons in many disciplines start young and must have at
least a bit of nudging from parents.
There's a huge difference between 'nudging' and what was going on with Keke
and Nico in Nicos childhood (and that video above). Also I think you're
getting confused (or deliberately conflating) fathers living vicariously and
opportunity. Some kids grew up with the *chance* to try racing out and did
so - without their fathers pushing them. I know that I would have loved it
if there was *any* sort of overlap with my young life and motor racing.

As it was for me the polar opposite was true; motor racing was totally
absent from my younger life and, when I became vaguely aware of it was told
it was a rich persons folly. The closest kart track (which I didn't even
know about) was >100kms away and more than a years 'pocket money' for
entrance (and that would have been if I knew anyone who traveled there to
get a ride with, or even to talk to me about it so I knew it was possible).
Post by Dan the Man
The most egregious example I can think of (in a different sport) is
former NFL quarterback Todd Marinovich. His dad (I think he was a
high-school coach) trained him mercilessly to be a QB, even going so
far as to train him to throw lefthanded (Todd was a natural righty).
The younger Marinovich got through college ball and had a brief spell
with the Oakland Raiders of the NFL. He eventually self-destructed
(drugs), and his career went kaput. You can only push a kid so far...
Indeed. Keke managed to 'push' Nico all the way to the WDC which then became
a coming-of-age and way out for Nico. Other sons of racing drivers have not
done nearly as well. At least one (Henry Surtees) died while driving -
ironically the wheel which killed him came from the car of another (step)son
of a Formula 1 racing driver...

2018-04-19 02:32:06 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
The most egregious example I can think of (in a different sport) is
former NFL quarterback Todd Marinovich. His dad (I think he was a
high-school coach) trained him mercilessly to be a QB, even going so
far as to train him to throw lefthanded (Todd was a natural righty).
The younger Marinovich got through college ball and had a brief spell
with the Oakland Raiders of the NFL. He eventually self-destructed
(drugs), and his career went kaput. You can only push a kid so far...
Indeed. Keke managed to 'push' Nico all the way to the WDC which then became
a coming-of-age and way out for Nico. Other sons of racing drivers have not
done nearly as well. At least one (Henry Surtees) died while driving -
ironically the wheel which killed him came from the car of another (step)son
of a Formula 1 racing driver...
Call for for help to adjusts your meds.
You delusional idiot.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 02:34:33 UTC
Also I think you're getting confused (or deliberately conflating)
You are confused you fucking of shit.
Loser. Cunt
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 02:41:21 UTC
As it was for me the polar opposite was true
And how did that work out for you?
A loser. With no money.
Blaming his woes on bad luck.
Crying for more government hand outs.
Now pirating Sky F1 tv coverage.
A fucking piece of shit deluxe.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 02:43:39 UTC
Indeed
Shove your indeed,
up your diseased asshole.
Fucking idiot.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 02:46:58 UTC
You fucking stupid asshole.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 02:48:47 UTC
You fucking perverted faggot.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 02:53:23 UTC
it was a rich persons folly.
And now you have you cunt lips in a knot.
Stop downloading your pirated coverage.
You loser cheap of shit.
And save yourself the grief.
You fucking cunt.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 02:56:48 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
The most egregious example I can think of (in a different sport) is
former NFL quarterback Todd Marinovich. His dad (I think he was a
high-school coach) trained him mercilessly to be a QB, even going so
far as to train him to throw lefthanded (Todd was a natural righty).
The younger Marinovich got through college ball and had a brief spell
with the Oakland Raiders of the NFL. He eventually self-destructed
(drugs), and his career went kaput. You can only push a kid so far...
Indeed. Keke managed to 'push' Nico all the way to the WDC which then became
a coming-of-age and way out for Nico. Other sons of racing drivers have not
done nearly as well. At least one (Henry Surtees) died while driving -
ironically the wheel which killed him came from the car of another (step)son
of a Formula 1 racing driver...
Drop your sig.
You fucking useless, cry baby, cock sucker,
government handout, med induced, cunt.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 03:01:12 UTC
and more than a years 'pocket money' for
entrance (and that would have been if I knew anyone who traveled there to
get a ride with, or even to talk to me about it so I knew it was possible).
You fucking mooch. Oh poor fucking you.
A loser, piece of shit, right from the start.
Fuck you, cunt.
Bobster
2018-04-19 03:30:27 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
... to fulfill their fathers dreams. Child abuse?
Is it only possible child abuse by unfulfilled fathers if you don't like the driver?
I've never not liked Rosberg. I used to admire as a driver him until I
realised how he had little natural talent from driving and how driven he was
(instilled in him very young...), enough to paint outside the normal lines
of competition. Now I admire him again as a person for his achievements in
the face of little talent and his fortitude in gaining said achievement. I
also admire him for his very public act of self-emancipation once he
attained WDC status and equality (in his eyes) with his father. If he were a
natural competitor he would have wanted to continue at least until he became
'better than' Keke.
How on earth do you come to that conclusion? By studying 1000s of examples? It's one of a very large number of possible explanations. It's the one that suits you, but that doesn't make it the only one.
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Bobster
Brendon Hartley's dad was a race driver who got all the way to
Formula Atlantic. Brendon was racing karts age 6. Scott Dixon
started racing at age 7, and his dad had raced on dirt tracks.
Many sportspersons in many disciplines start young and must have at
least a bit of nudging from parents.
There's a huge difference between 'nudging' and what was going on with Keke
and Nico in Nicos childhood (and that video above). Also I think you're
getting confused (or deliberately conflating) fathers living vicariously and
opportunity.
I think it's you that's confused. What you see in the Rosberg clip IS opportunity. It's not a situation like the Hamiltons where the father had to work extra shifts to enable his son's racing career, Keke was a rich man with time on his hands and so he could buy all the gear and train his son.
Post by ~misfit~
Some kids grew up with the *chance* to try racing out and did
so - without their fathers pushing them. I know that I would have loved it
if there was *any* sort of overlap with my young life and motor racing.
As it was for me the polar opposite was true; motor racing was totally
absent from my younger life and, when I became vaguely aware of it was told
it was a rich persons folly. The closest kart track (which I didn't even
know about) was >100kms away and more than a years 'pocket money' for
entrance (and that would have been if I knew anyone who traveled there to
get a ride with, or even to talk to me about it so I knew it was possible).
You, me and billions of others. There's an argument, or at least one that I will make, that from one POV soccer is the greatest sport because you need to little equipment to get into the game and you can start on any vaguely flat field (grass optional). Motor racing takes money and access to specialist facilities.
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Dan the Man
The most egregious example I can think of (in a different sport) is
former NFL quarterback Todd Marinovich. His dad (I think he was a
high-school coach) trained him mercilessly to be a QB, even going so
far as to train him to throw lefthanded (Todd was a natural righty).
The younger Marinovich got through college ball and had a brief spell
with the Oakland Raiders of the NFL. He eventually self-destructed
(drugs), and his career went kaput. You can only push a kid so far...
Indeed. Keke managed to 'push' Nico all the way to the WDC which then became
a coming-of-age and way out for Nico. Other sons of racing drivers have not
done nearly as well. At least one (Henry Surtees) died while driving -
ironically the wheel which killed him came from the car of another (step)son
of a Formula 1 racing driver...
Fernando Alonso's dad was an amateur racer. Stirling Moss's dad raced in the Indy 500. Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve are both world champion sons of racing drivers. Sebatstian Vettel's dad had raced in hill climbs. Hartley, as mentioned, is the son of a racing driver. It seems unlikely that he'll be a world champ, but he's not been unsuccessful.

There's a lot more cases than you are considering.
Phil Carmody
2018-04-23 13:15:03 UTC
Indeed. Keke managed to 'push' Nico all the way to the WDC which then became
a coming-of-age and way out for Nico.
I'm tempted to say, after seeing that quite though-provoking vid, is
that Keijo pushed him so far that he had nothing else. Latter years
seem to be more of him doing it for himself, as a catharsis, and the
retirement a final deshackling.

Phil
--
In order for there to be rights, there must be wrongs - if you want to
get rid of wrongs, which great leaders do, you *must* get rid of rights.
bra
2018-04-23 15:12:56 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
--
In order for there to be rights, there must be wrongs - if you want to
get rid of wrongs, which great leaders do, you *must* get rid of rights.
Phil, I've pondered your tag line, as I hope many do.

Most of the wrongs that great leaders do are possible because their subjects have so few real rights. I don't fancy a world in which all rights have been abolished ---- even Ayn Rand would be unpleasantly surprised by such a scene.
Alan Baker
It's a semantic trick and therefore not very interesting.
Phil Carmody
2018-04-24 21:16:47 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
--
In order for there to be rights, there must be wrongs - if you want to
get rid of wrongs, which great leaders do, you *must* get rid of rights.
Phil, I've pondered your tag line, as I hope many do.
Thank you for the stroke.
Post by bra
Most of the wrongs that great leaders do are possible because their
subjects have so few real rights. I don't fancy a world in which all
rights have been abolished ---- even Ayn Rand would be unpleasantly
surprised by such a scene.
It was a silly line I came up with in an online discussion once, seeded
of something that someone else, precisely whom I forget, said in the
context of (online) rights, that considered the rights and wrongs of
what certain over-puffed world powers were doing.

I thought I could slap it into a state of heightened punnage, to squeeze
the last drop out of the double-use of "rights", and slather it with
sarcasm, and couldn't improve upon the wording I currently have. It's not
perfect, but if it causes a double-take, then it's succeeded.

Unravelling the confusion caused by equivocation on "rights" alas
takes far too short a time, so the pay-off never gets out of "groan"
territory.

Any reaction from Rand, even posthumously, and any Randians, can be
safely ignored. She thought she could apply to lessons learnt in one
context to approach an entirely different context. A classic case of
knowing only how to wield a hammer, so treating everything like a nail.
Hayek - ditto. Mises - ditto. Friedman - ditto. Unsurprisingly they
all were all tainted by the same context at an early age, even if their
conclusions were diametric. One uses the face, the other uses the claw.

Phil
bra
2018-04-26 13:44:04 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
Post by bra
Phil, I've pondered your tag line, as I hope many do.
Thank you for the stroke.
I thought I could slap it into a state of heightened punnage, to squeeze
the last drop out of the double-use of "rights", and slather it with
sarcasm, and couldn't improve upon the wording I currently have. It's not
perfect, but if it causes a double-take, then it's succeeded.
Happens to quite a few of my poker-faced incitements online, too.
Those who won't speak up for their own rights soon call for the abolition of everyone else's, just to approach 'normality'.
~misfit~
2018-04-24 01:03:45 UTC
Post by Phil Carmody
Post by ~misfit~
Indeed. Keke managed to 'push' Nico all the way to the WDC which
then became a coming-of-age and way out for Nico.
I'm tempted to say, after seeing that quite though-provoking vid, is
that Keijo pushed him so far that he had nothing else. Latter years
seem to be more of him doing it for himself, as a catharsis, and the
retirement a final deshackling.
That is a better explaination of 'programming' a child.

Cheers,

2018-04-24 05:11:31 UTC
That is a better explaination of 'programming' a child.
Fuck you.
Your parents programmed you
into a miserable, piece
of shit. Whiner cunt.
Cry baby.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-24 05:22:03 UTC
That is a better explaination of 'programming' a child.
Is nico pirating F1 tv like you.
You fucking thief.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-24 05:25:05 UTC
That is a better explaination of 'programming' a child.
Your loser parents should have put more
time into programming you.
They ended up with an idiot.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-18 20:58:01 UTC
Nico really doesn't look happy in that.
Looked fine to me.
I guess it doesn't compare to
you experimenting with sheep
shagging as kid.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 06:37:11 UTC
Child abuse?
What is your fucking problem?
You weird ass mother fucker.
Go fuck yourself.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 06:57:04 UTC
If I'd seen that before he won WDC I
would have expected his retirement.
Yet you could not predict your own
pathetic existence?
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 07:01:45 UTC
Must admit
Fuck you.
What you must admit.
Cock sucker.
Loser.
Asshole.
t***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 07:12:58 UTC
... to fulfill their fathers dreams. Child abuse?
http://youtu.be/-fj-nXrYGAE
Nico really doesn't look happy in that. If I'd seen that before he won WDC I
would have expected his retirement.
http://youtu.be/qdv3jMQWXE0
Must admit I didn't watch all of that as I don't like Jos.
You sick and twisted fucker.
You have an obsession with young boys in F1.
Get help.