Sky commentators compared to Channel 4
Geoff May
2018-07-22 19:45:27 UTC
My father has Sky so I've been watching the races that Channel 4 do not
cover live on Sky and, I am very unimpressed with their coverage.

Channel 4 tend not to jump to conclusions about track events until they
have some detail of what happened. Case in point was VER going off track
at Silverstone. The twat on Sky was screaming about VER and RIC
colliding when then were over 30m apart. No effort made to correct this
error nor apologise to the two drives for the false accusation ...

Today, VET goes off and the impression I got from the commentators on
Sky was VET was 100% to blame. DC on Channel 4 implied that VET was to
blame but he was more lenient in his remarks in that the conditions
change so quickly and, by being the leading car, VET doesn't have
someone in front of him to show where the slippery patches are.

All in all, I will be very disappointed next year when all we have for
F1 is the abysmal Sky coverage.

As an aside, to watch F1 next year with Sky, I will have to pay around
£60 per month. I simply cannot afford that. Were it not for my father
having Sky, I would have to stop at the end of this year.

A bit of a let down for someone who has watch the races live from 1979
until the BBC mucked everything up and tried to save money for paying
Jimmy's compensation ...

Cheers

Geoff
Bigbird
2018-07-22 20:31:12 UTC
Post by Geoff May
[...]
Sky coverage is generally pretty good except that the bias seems to
have got out of hand.
Post by Geoff May
As an aside, to watch F1 next year with Sky, I will have to pay
around £60 per month. I simply cannot afford that. Were it not for my
father having Sky, I would have to stop at the end of this year.
I would pay F1TV rates but sky is ridiculous. Like you I am lucky to
have friend with Sky and I pay for her Sky Go extra.
Geoff
Sir Tim
2018-07-22 22:15:31 UTC
Post by Geoff May
[...]
I certainly would’t describe the Sky coverage as “abysmal”, in fact I find
it excellent. “That twat” to whom you refer is David Croft, who came to Sky
from BBC Radio 5 Live. I find him fluent and articulate if occasionally a
bit hysterical. The only member of the team whom I find completely
superfluous is Natalie Pinkham, the one who puts banal questions to drivers
who have just retired or crashed and clearly don’t want to be interviewed.

I got Sky F1 as an inducement to take the HD package so it costs me nothing
over and above what I would be paying anyway. Should I be asked to pay £60
a month for F1 coverage I would probably give up watching as F1 is the only
sport that interests me and I can think of better ways of spending 60 quid.
Geoff May
2018-07-23 18:01:51 UTC
[snipped]
I got Sky F1 as an inducement to take the HD package so it costs me nothing
over and above what I would be paying anyway. Should I be asked to pay £60
a month for F1 coverage I would probably give up watching as F1 is the only
sport that interests me and I can think of better ways of spending 60 quid.
I would only be getting Sky so I can watch the F1. I would not use it
for anything else, hence the £60. Apparently there is a package at $48
per month but that is only for 9 months and then it goes up to "normal"
price.

Neither option is justifiable for me.

Cheers

Geoff.
Calum
2018-07-23 00:05:21 UTC
Post by Geoff May
As an aside, to watch F1 next year with Sky, I will have to pay around
£60 per month. I simply cannot afford that. Were it not for my father
having Sky, I would have to stop at the end of this year.
If you're in the UK and F1 is all you care about, a Now TV box will let
you watch it cheaper than that... no subscription, so you can "just" buy
a £10 Sky Sports day pass on race days, or a £15 week pass if you want
to watch all the practice & qualy.
Geoff May
2018-07-23 17:57:02 UTC
Post by Calum
Post by Geoff May
As an aside, to watch F1 next year with Sky, I will have to pay around
£60 per month. I simply cannot afford that. Were it not for my father
having Sky, I would have to stop at the end of this year.
If you're in the UK and F1 is all you care about, a Now TV box will let
you watch it cheaper than that... no subscription, so you can "just" buy
a £10 Sky Sports day pass on race days, or a £15 week pass if you want
to watch all the practice & qualy.
I had looked into that it is still £315 for the season current and it is
still more than I can afford. That £315 is bound to go up if as we get
more races per season.

Cheers

Geoff
~misfit~
2018-07-23 03:31:14 UTC
Post by Geoff May
My father has Sky so I've been watching the races that Channel 4 do
not cover live on Sky and, I am very unimpressed with their coverage.
Channel 4 tend not to jump to conclusions about track events until
they have some detail of what happened. Case in point was VER going
off track at Silverstone. The twat on Sky was screaming about VER and
RIC colliding when then were over 30m apart. No effort made to
correct this error nor apologise to the two drives for the false
accusation ...
I said the same thing here after that incdent. That twat is Croft. He annoys
the crap out of me to the point where I mute the audio sometimes. But then I
un-mute it a while later as I *do* want to hear what Brundle has to say.
I've noticed of late that Brundle seems increasingly conscious of Croft
running off and twice has said to him "take a breath' - I guess that's about
as pointed as he can be considering.
Post by Geoff May
Today, VET goes off and the impression I got from the commentators on
Sky was VET was 100% to blame. DC on Channel 4 implied that VET was to
blame but he was more lenient in his remarks in that the conditions
change so quickly and, by being the leading car, VET doesn't have
someone in front of him to show where the slippery patches are.
DC, as a driver himself is more diplomatic (as is Brundle). Croft as a paid
motor-mouth isn't and is frankly often rather obtuse with his perception. Oh
and there was a backmarker no more than two seconds in front of Vettel at
the time so he did have a 'sighter'.
Post by Geoff May
All in all, I will be very disappointed next year when all we have for
F1 is the abysmal Sky coverage.
Sky could improve their F1 coverage massively by getting rid of Croft. The
rest of their presentation is quite good. (Considering that they're UK-based
and that their primary audience is the UK they are almost obligated to be
biased towards Hamilton.)
Post by Geoff May
As an aside, to watch F1 next year with Sky, I will have to pay around
£60 per month. I simply cannot afford that. Were it not for my father
having Sky, I would have to stop at the end of this year.
A bit of a let down for someone who has watch the races live from 1979
until the BBC mucked everything up and tried to save money for paying
Jimmy's compensation ...
I'd suggest that you write a letter to them (quoting your father's account
number maybe) and complain about Croft, tell them what you think. Hopefully
others will do the same thing....

Cheers,

2018-07-23 15:20:01 UTC
Sky could improve their F1 coverage massively by getting rid of Croft.
You have no say because you pirate their coverage.
You loser, thief, government hand out, leach,
piece of shit.
t***@gmail.com
2018-07-23 15:25:00 UTC
I'd suggest that you write a letter to them (quoting your father's account
number maybe) and complain about Croft, tell them what you think. Hopefully
others will do the same thing....
You could write them a letter too, coward.
Tell them you have a big problem with your
pirated coverage.
DumbedDownUSA
2018-07-23 20:31:41 UTC
Sky could improve their F1 coverage massively by getting rid of
Croft.
Nonsense.
--
If I am not the real DDUSA I must be the overweight attention seeking
loser sitting on my mothers couch in underpants I haven't changed in a
Trump averages eight falsehoods a day; how you doin'?
keefy
2018-07-23 21:30:03 UTC
Post by DumbedDownUSA
Post by ~misfit~
Sky could improve their F1 coverage massively by getting rid of
Croft.
Nonsense.
Given that getting rid of Crofty would leave Brundle as commentator as
well as technical pundit, and having watched F1 in the past when that
was the case, I might actually agree it would be a good change.
Especially as I also recently saw a clip of Sky coverage on Youtube and
Crofty did sound like he was having a rather painful orgasm! And I am
saying this as someone who really enjoyed listening to the banter
between Crofty and Ant Davidson a few years ago when they commentated on
the practice sessions for BBC.
M2T
2018-07-23 21:59:02 UTC
Post by keefy
Post by DumbedDownUSA
Post by ~misfit~
Sky could improve their F1 coverage massively by getting rid of
Croft.
Nonsense.
Given that getting rid of Crofty would leave Brundle as commentator as
well as technical pundit, and having watched F1 in the past when that
was the case, I might actually agree it would be a good change.
Especially as I also recently saw a clip of Sky coverage on Youtube and
Crofty did sound like he was having a rather painful orgasm! And I am
saying this as someone who really enjoyed listening to the banter
between Crofty and Ant Davidson a few years ago when they commentated on
the practice sessions for BBC.
Brundle can't do the job on his own. Ben Edwards will be looking for job
at the end of this year. Ben does a good job without chasing the
limelight. Edwards has been a racing driver and runs a successful
motorsport company - Entreprix. In comparison, Crofty is a shouty twat.
keefy
2018-07-23 22:19:12 UTC
Post by keefy
Post by DumbedDownUSA
Post by ~misfit~
Sky could improve their F1 coverage massively by getting rid of
Croft.
Nonsense.
Given that getting rid of Crofty would leave Brundle as commentator as
well as technical pundit, and having watched F1 in the past when that
was the case, I might actually agree it would be a good change.
Especially as I also recently saw a clip of Sky coverage on Youtube
and Crofty did sound like he was having a rather painful orgasm! And I
am saying this as someone who really enjoyed listening to the banter
between Crofty and Ant Davidson a few years ago when they commentated
on the practice sessions for BBC.
Brundle can't do the job on his own.
Which does not change the fact that he has done it and was good. I was
sceptical about whether he would be good as a main commentator but was
pleasantly surprised.

Ben Edwards will be looking for job
Post by M2T
at the end of this year.
I am not surprised! Oops, is that not what I was supposed to say?

  Ben does a good job without chasing the
Post by M2T
limelight.
That is your opinion, I do not like him as a commentator.

Post by M2T
motorsport company - Entreprix.
How does that help him as a commentator given that he has an ex-F1
driver beside him to give insight from a driver's point of view as well
as technical knowledge?

In comparison, Crofty is a shouty twat.
Again, your opinion, someone else's may be different. He may well be a
shouty twat and I was in no way trying to defend him as I would was
obvious from my post.

So what coverage of F1 do you watch, Sky, Channel 4 or something else?
M2T
2018-07-24 12:56:22 UTC
Post by keefy
Post by M2T
Post by keefy
Post by M2T
motorsport company - Entreprix.
How does that help him as a commentator given that he has an ex-F1
driver beside him to give insight from a driver's point of view as well
as technical knowledge?
 In comparison, Crofty is a shouty twat.
Again, your opinion, someone else's may be different. He may well be a
shouty twat and I was in no way trying to defend him as I would was
obvious from my post.
So what coverage of F1 do you watch, Sky, Channel 4 or something else?
Sorry, didn't I make it obvious that Brundel can't commentate on his own
and if the Shouty Twat gets his well deserved P45, then Sky will have to
replace him.
keefy
2018-07-24 15:01:48 UTC
Post by keefy
Post by M2T
Post by keefy
Post by M2T
motorsport company - Entreprix.
How does that help him as a commentator given that he has an ex-F1
driver beside him to give insight from a driver's point of view as
well as technical knowledge?
  In comparison, Crofty is a shouty twat.
Again, your opinion, someone else's may be different. He may well be a
shouty twat and I was in no way trying to defend him as I would was
obvious from my post.
So what coverage of F1 do you watch, Sky, Channel 4 or something else?
Sorry, didn't I make it obvious that Brundel can't commentate on his own
and if the Shouty Twat gets his well deserved P45, then Sky will have to
replace him.
Yes you made clear that is what you believe. I was not trying to say you
are wrong, I just commented on the situation as I see it which may
differ from how you see it or how someone else sees it. But your meaning
in the use of the word "cant" is not clear, at least to me. Do you mean
he is not capable or is not/will not be allowed to? I think the latter
is/will be the case as races for many years now seem to commentated on
by at least 2 people.
t***@gmail.com
2018-07-24 00:51:44 UTC
Post by keefy
Crofty did sound like he was having a rather painful orgasm!
You are familiar with other guy's painful orgasms?
Fucking weirdo.
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2018-07-24 20:29:56 UTC
lewis has been trashing sky f1 - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2018/07/23/lewis-hamilton-posts-instagram-accusing-sky-sports-undermining/

one thing I didn't notice until the world cup - channel 4 f1 started going on about it, and none of them were actually english! (ben Edwards was offscreen in the commentary box) - so did you hear the one about 2 scots, 1 welshman, 1 Australian, 1 indian and 1 Irishman going on about England in the world cup?

in terms of diversity it is like channel 4 is for labour voters and sky f1 is for ukip voters.
Willsy
2018-07-25 11:47:33 UTC
Post by Geoff May
[...]
I MUCH prefer the laddish, blokey banter on Channel 4, and DC gives
very good analysis.

And I'm in love with Lee McKenzie.