Sebastian Vettel Announces SHOCK Retirement
2020-04-01 13:20:35 UTC
Sebastian Vettel Announces SHOCK Retirement From F1 as Lewis Hamilton Drops a Major Hint

https://www.essentiallysports.com/red-bull-helmut-marko-justifies-bizarre-coronavirus-camp-remark-f1-news/

[groan]
D Munz
2020-04-01 16:06:32 UTC
Sebastian Vettel Announces SHOCK Retirement From F1 as Lewis Hamilton Drops a Major Hint
https://www.essentiallysports.com/red-bull-helmut-marko-justifies-bizarre-coronavirus-camp-remark-f1-news/
[groan]
I'm not sure what the link has to do with Vettel and Hamilton but it brings up the whole Helmut Marko deal. I've seen it this morning so, naturally, I thought it was a joke (given today's date.) Apparently it isn't. He really said something like it and now is backtracking.

There are people here in the states who do things like this (measles and flu parties) but they are usually on the fringes. It seems rather foolish on the whole but to be gambling with the investment in your team and drivers is crazy. (Unless, of course, Red Bull cures Covid too!)

Very odd times.

2020-04-01 16:19:43 UTC
build wrote:

Brings up a point. I am glad that I have seen none of the normal
nonsense in the media today. It would have been ill-judged.
--
“the loudest one in the room" is in the Bozo bin with all the
"anonymous" morons and his sock puppets.

"So if you only watch Fox News, because it's
reinforcing what you believe, you are not an informed citizen."

Impeached President Trump 16,241 false or misleading claims in his
first three years
Geoff May
2020-04-01 16:57:19 UTC
Brings up a point. I am glad that I have seen none of the normal
nonsense in the media today. It would have been ill-judged.
I think he posted the wrong link and meant to post this one:
https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-sebastian-vettel-announces-shock-retirement-from-f1-as-lewis-hamilton-drops-a-major-hint/

Cheers

Geoff
Bigbird
2020-04-01 19:08:19 UTC
Brings up a point. I am glad that I have seen none of the normal
nonsense in the media today. It would have been ill-judged.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-sebastian-vettel-announces-shock-retirement-from-f1-as-lewis-hamilton-drops-a-major-hint/
I didn't follow the link, I assumed the content was date driven. While
there is plenty of room for humour nowadays for some reason I find the
whole idea of April Fools distasteful. Can't explain why.

first three years
t***@gmail.com
give it a rest
t***@gmail.com
Is that what you said when germany was bombing you in ww2?
t***@gmail.com
Do you have access to mental health in this time?
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-02 03:30:48 UTC
I didn't follow the link
--
“the loudest one in the room" is in the Bozo bin with all the
"anonymous" morons and his sock puppets.
"So if you only watch Fox News, because it's
reinforcing what you believe, you are not an informed citizen."
Impeached President Trump 16,241 false or misleading claims in his
first three years
Follow it? How about click on it?
You crybaby useless tit fuck.
~misfit~
2020-04-02 07:09:57 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by Bigbird
Brings up a point. I am glad that I have seen none of the normal
nonsense in the media today. It would have been ill-judged.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-sebastian-vettel-announces-shock-retirement-from-f1-as-lewis-hamilton-drops-a-major-hint/
I didn't follow the link, I assumed the content was date driven. While
there is plenty of room for humour nowadays for some reason I find the
whole idea of April Fools distasteful. Can't explain why.
Something else we have in common Bird, I've never engaged with April Fools and have made it very
clear over the years to the people who know me best that I'm not interested.

2020-04-02 09:20:31 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by Bigbird
Brings up a point. I am glad that I have seen none of the normal
nonsense in the media today. It would have been ill-judged.
https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-sebastian-vettel-announces-shock-retirement-from-f1-as-lewis-hamilton-drops-a-major-hint/
I didn't follow the link, I assumed the content was date driven. While
there is plenty of room for humour nowadays for some reason I find the
whole idea of April Fools distasteful. Can't explain why.
Something else we have in common Bird, I've never engaged with April
Fools and have made it very
clear over the years to the people who know me best that I'm not interested.
Whilst I certainly agree that this year is *not* the year for April Fools
jokes I have always regarded them as a bit if harmless fun. The BBC has
been particularly adept at subtly introducing them into the schedule: there
was the famous “Spaghetti Harvest” documentary in the 1950s and I remember
a radio feature about Caldy Island put out by the Beeb’s Religious
Department, which suggested that the monks’ production of haggises was
being adversely affected by imports of cheap, Japanese haggises.

2020-04-02 14:58:44 UTC
Whilst I certainly agree that this year is *not* the year for April Fools
jokes I have always regarded them as a bit if harmless fun. The BBC has
been particularly adept at subtly introducing them into the schedule: there
was the famous “Spaghetti Harvest” documentary in the 1950s and I remember
a radio feature about Caldy Island put out by the Beeb’s Religious
Department, which suggested that the monks’ production of haggises was
being adversely affected by imports of cheap, Japanese haggises.
http://youtu.be/MEqp0x6ajGE
The spaghetti harvest gag is a classic. I've shown it to my 13-year old son and got the "wait, what" with a long pause before he caught on. I mean its on the BBC, right?

The key was Richard Dimbleby, who was gravitas personified.
Alister
2020-04-02 21:12:30 UTC
Post by Geoff May
[...]
maybe I'm in a minority but this year I think we should take any laughs
we can get
--
That means I'll have to use $ans to suppress newlines now.
Life is ridiculous.
-- Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution
Bigbird
2020-04-02 21:41:33 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Something else we have in common Bird, I've never engaged with
April >> Fools and have made it very clear over the years to the
people who know >> me best that I'm not interested.
Whilst I certainly agree that this year is not the year for April
Fools jokes I have always regarded them as a bit if harmless fun.
The BBC has been particularly adept at subtly introducing them into
the schedule: there was the famous “Spaghetti Harvest” documentary
in the 1950s and I remember a radio feature about Caldy Island put
out by the Beeb’s Religious Department, which suggested that the
monks’ production of haggises was being adversely affected by
imports of cheap, Japanese haggises.
http://youtu.be/MEqp0x6ajGE
maybe I'm in a minority but this year I think we should take any
laughs we can get
I think it's something to do with the "post truth" shitshow in the USA
that makes it just feel wrong to have any deliberately fake stories in
the mainstream media when so many people are having trouble discerning
or accepting what is true and what is not.

I think we'd be in even deeper trouble if we couldn't find plenty of
stuff to laugh at.

When it's difficult to have any conversation without discussing the
virus all the very funny stuff being passed around is a god send.

The simpler the better.

Dan the Man
2020-04-03 12:42:10 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
[...]
http://youtu.be/QymMFQap1f4
These days, it's a real challenge for ersatz "news" sites like The Onion or The Babylon Bee to come up with stories that sound plausible but are not actually real. Babylon Bee in particular often finds itself getting fact-checked by Snopes - it's SATIRE, folks!

Dan
Out Cider
2020-04-02 21:43:08 UTC
Whilst I certainly agree that this year is *not* the year for April Fools
jokes I have always regarded them as a bit if harmless fun. The BBC has
been particularly adept at subtly introducing them into the schedule: there
was the famous “Spaghetti Harvest” documentary in the 1950s and I remember
a radio feature about Caldy Island put out by the Beeb’s Religious
Department, which suggested that the monks’ production of haggises was
being adversely affected by imports of cheap, Japanese haggises.
http://youtu.be/MEqp0x6ajGE
My absolute favourite is Peter Jackson's 1995 mockumentary Forgotten
Silver of Kiwi film maker Colin McKenzie who invented, amongst other
things a steam-powered projector, eggwhite-based film emulsion, the
tracking shot, the extreme close-up, feature length film, sound-on-film,
colour film, etc etc etc. He also filmed the first ever recorded flight
in New Zealand, almost a year before the Wright brothers. To add
gravitas to the film there are interviews by Leonard Maltin, Harvey
Weinstein and Sam Neill. It is so well made that many, many people were
fooled into thinking it was real. Including me what I saw it later.

Soneone on our national broadcaster had an eye for a joke, as Finnish TV
showed Forgotten Silver on 1st April 1999 without warning in any way of
its true nature. I remember watching it in awe: how could I not know of
this unbelievable filmmaker who had made all these later forgotten
inventions as well as a wide range of films between Stan the Man short
comic films to the epic Salome? It took me a couple of hours and a
rewatch to understand I'd been duped... Well played, Yleisradio! :-)

If you haven't seen Forgotten Silver, here is 52 minutes well spent:

(Picture quality isn't very good, at least the PAL DVD is much better.)
Allest ist Lava!
keithr0
2020-04-03 07:08:25 UTC
Post by Out Cider
Post by Sir Tim
[...]
http://youtu.be/FtGhzNtttds
(Picture quality isn't very good, at least the PAL DVD is much better.)
It's hard to go past Orson Welles War of the Worlds broadcast although
some of the consequences did go well beyond those intended.
Alister
2020-04-04 19:25:58 UTC
Post by keithr0
http://youtu.be/FtGhzNtttds (Picture quality isn't very
good, at least the PAL DVD is much better.)
It's hard to go past Orson Welles War of the Worlds broadcast although
some of the consequences did go well beyond those intended.
That wasn't even intended as a prank
The show was clearly listed for what it was in advance!
--
Volley Theory:
It is better to have lobbed and lost than never to have lobbed at
all.
~misfit~
2020-04-05 02:17:40 UTC
Post by Alister
Post by keithr0
Post by Out Cider
Post by Sir Tim
[...]
+1. I was going to say the same thing.

2020-04-05 04:39:58 UTC
I was going to say the same thing.
your meds are working
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-05 06:34:05 UTC
I was going to say the same thing.
fuck are you gay
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-05 06:38:59 UTC
I was going to say the same thing.
was was was. your life story
t***@gmail.com
all.
t***@gmail.com
compose a post if possible
Alister
2020-04-05 18:48:59 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by keithr0
spent: http://youtu.be/FtGhzNtttds (Picture
quality isn't very good, at least the PAL DVD is much better.)
It's hard to go past Orson Welles War of the Worlds broadcast
although some of the consequences did go well beyond those
intended.
That wasn't even intended as a prank The show was clearly listed for
what it was in advance!
--
It is better to have lobbed and lost than never to have lobbed at
all.
compose a post if possible
It was your post that was blank.
hardly surprising that your whole country can be scared witless by a
radio play if you feel the need to chastise yourself for being incoherant.
--
<LauraDax> !seen god
<Tabi-> LauraDax, I don't remember seeing "god"
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-02 17:49:14 UTC
I've never engaged with April Fools and have made it very
clear over the years to the people who know me best that I'm not interested.
Oh goody for you.
Fuck off fool