Wolff admits doubt on legality of Ferrari power unit
2018-07-24 17:05:10 UTC
Yup, it's the battery system that Whiting has allowed them to use.
https://www.pitpass.com/62485/Wolff-admits-doubt-on-legality-of-Ferrari-power-unit
How long did the bending wings saga go on for? That was another example
of Whiting unable to do his job.
News
So, cheat-in-kind, or STFU?
Edmund
2018-07-25 07:26:28 UTC
Post by M2T
How long did the bending wings saga go on for? That was another example
of Whiting unable to do his job.
Funny comment :
"I am always suspicious when someone accuses another of cheating just to
be on the same level as the accuser. "They must be cheating because the
only way they could get that result is by [insert solution] - which is
what we are doing""

Toto is puzzled how they do that without additional oil burning.
I didn't hear Toto complain about Ham not being punished yet.

Edmund
Alister
2018-07-25 11:53:05 UTC
Post by Edmund
I didn't hear Toto complain about Ham not being punished yet.
Edmund
Ham WAS punished (possibly not enough but that is a different issue)
There's enough money here to buy 5000 cans of Noodle-Roni!
build
2018-07-25 12:13:09 UTC
Post by Alister
Post by Edmund
I didn't hear Toto complain about Ham not being punished yet.
Edmund
Ham WAS punished (possibly not enough but that is a different issue)
Al,
I'll go (eyebrows raised) with the stewards, they have all the video, radio, data, etc, etc.

beers,
2018-07-25 13:18:56 UTC
Post by Alister
Post by Edmund
I didn't hear Toto complain about Ham not being punished yet.
Edmund
Ham WAS punished (possibly not enough but that is a different issue)
Al,
I'll go (eyebrows raised) with the stewards, they have all the video,
radio, data, etc, etc.
beers,
build
Do they have the rule book too?
The same as when the punished other drivers for the same violation?

2018-07-25 13:50:05 UTC
Yup, it's the battery system that Whiting has allowed them to use.
https://www.pitpass.com/62485/Wolff-admits-doubt-on-legality-of-Ferrari-power-unit
How long did the bending wings saga go on for? That was another
example of Whiting unable to do his job.
What pisses me off is that Whiting investigated and established that there
is the potential to cheat but took Ferraris word that a) They can't fix the
problem until next year and b) they won't cheat even though they could
easilly and nobody would be wiser.

Whiting accepted that and said their systems could stay as-is for this year
and Ferrari, knowing they were in the clear for this year then rolled out
their upgrades not even having to pretend their system wasn't able to bypass
the electrical metering. Whiting gave them a free pass to use as much
electrical energy as they want to.

Now Ferrari is looking unbeatable, Haas is looking easilly best of the rest
and even Sauber is more often than not in the points (at least wth their
decent driver).

F I A....

2018-07-25 16:08:36 UTC
What pisses me off
You are pissed off 24/7/365.
You grumpy, senile, old bitch.
Edmund
2018-07-25 16:55:24 UTC
Yup, it's the battery system that Whiting has allowed them to use.
https://www.pitpass.com/62485/Wolff-admits-doubt-on-legality-of-
Ferrari-power-unit
How long did the bending wings saga go on for? That was another
example of Whiting unable to do his job.
What pisses me off is that Whiting investigated and established that
there is the potential to cheat but took Ferraris word that a) They
can't fix the problem until next year and b) they won't cheat even
though they could easilly and nobody would be wiser.
Whiting accepted that and said their systems could stay as-is for this
year and Ferrari, knowing they were in the clear for this year then
rolled out their upgrades not even having to pretend their system wasn't
able to bypass the electrical metering. Whiting gave them a free pass to
use as much electrical energy as they want to.
Hmm just like Mercedes oil as fuel burning up until last year.
Post by ~misfit~
Now Ferrari is looking unbeatable,
That is not exactly what I saw this weekend.
2018-07-26 11:22:33 UTC
[...]
Yes, it's the dramatic improvement in the performance of the customer
teams that really underlines the fact that Ferrari have found something
special. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that Ferrari *must* be
cheating (as they have done in the past) but perhaps they have just done
something that nobody else has thought of.

Nevertheless, Craig Scarborough is interesting on the subject:

“Battery technology is a complete closed book," explained Scarborough in
a video for Motorsport.tv, before going on to clarify details of the
accusations being levied at Ferrari.
“By running these batteries in parallel, you could get more energy going
to the engine. That would give you more than a 120 kW boost of power,
which obviously is illegal because that is a hard cap, measured from the
DC connections on the battery."
Although the FIA have now announced that they deem the set-up to be
legal, Scarborough confirmed that the sport's governors did struggle to
understand the system at first - a matter complicated further when
Ferrari made some last-minute alterations to their software.
“They've measured this...They were a bit confused, but they've gone back
to Ferrari for clarifications.”
Apparently Ferrari have made some software changes, which only confuses
the issue. Were these software changes to stop what they were doing? Or
were they so the FIA can understand exactly what was going on so they
can track this?
The swift change in software prior to an FIA investigation will
certainly raise some eyebrows within the sport. However, the apparent
length of time for which Ferrari seem to have been operating the system
suggests that it may not be solely responsible for their upturn in
fortunes this season.”

“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
D Munz
2018-07-26 11:59:13 UTC
On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 6:22:40 AM UTC-5, Sir Tim wrote:
<SNIP>
Post by Sir Tim
However, the apparent
length of time for which Ferrari seem to have been operating the system
suggests that it may not be solely responsible for their upturn in
fortunes this season.”
“Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional”
This is really the key bit. IR Ferrari are cheating with this, they have been doing for over a year. Why is the improvement only noticeable now? Maybe they didn't give the new package to the customer teams until recently so that might explain that. But what about the team cars? Something else must be in the mix or we should have seen this long before now.

2018-07-26 12:28:42 UTC
Post by D Munz
<SNIP>
Post by Sir Tim
However, the apparent
length of time for which Ferrari seem to have been operating the
system suggests that it may not be solely responsible for their
upturn in fortunes this season."
"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional"
This is really the key bit. IR Ferrari are cheating with this, they
have been doing for over a year. Why is the improvement only
noticeable now? Maybe they didn't give the new package to the
customer teams until recently so that might explain that. But what
about the team cars? Something else must be in the mix or we should
have seen this long before now.
As I said in my post above, now that the FIA have rubber-stamped it until
next year I think Ferrari are pushing their sneaky system to its limits,
knowing it's unlikely to be investigated again and that other teams have
little to no come-back.

Also I think you're right, they hadn't shared it with their customers until
it was rubber-stamped. After all FIA is FERARRI International Assistance,
not Hass or Sauber. They were previously prepared to risk themselves being
involved in a stoush (and likely had the obfuscating software ready to roll
out) but involving customer teams while it was still a secret and untested
against the rules wasn't a good idea.

Cheating bastards! I see that second battery pack controller paddle is still
on the back of Vettels steering wheel (but not Kimis).

2018-07-26 18:26:39 UTC
Cheating bastards! I see that second battery pack controller paddle is still
on the back of Vettel’s steering wheel (but not Kimi’s).
If that is what it is - it might control a death-ray targeted at Hamilton
:-)
2018-07-26 21:08:51 UTC
Cheating bastards! I see that second battery pack controller paddle
is still on the back of Vettel’s steering wheel (but not Kimi’s).
If that is what it is - it might control a death-ray targeted at
Hamilton :-)
...and it will all be over with a mighty flash.

Flash, a-ah
~misfit~
2018-07-27 00:41:31 UTC
Cheating bastards! I see that second battery pack controller paddle
is still on the back of Vettel's steering wheel (but not Kimi's).
If that is what it is - it might control a death-ray targeted at
Hamilton :-)
LOL.

Whatever it is Ferrari were trying very hard to hide it pre-battery
investigation and now don't seem so concerned...

Seriously though I strongly doubt that Ferrari could have made such a big
step in power output mid season in what is a fairly mature formula any other
way than to be using this battery topology to it's fullest. And if they
*have* started supplying the system to customers (as I think thay have) it
sort of makes a lie of their claim to the FIA that they couldn't change
their system mid-season. After all they must have been supllying a non-split
battery ES to customers previously so it wouldn't have been difficult to
have used that system in their own cars for the rest of 2018.

2018-07-27 10:04:28 UTC
[...]
There's a possibility that they are blowing their wings.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137625/is-a-blown-wing-trick-part-of-ferrari-advantage
~misfit~
2018-07-27 10:24:30 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137625/is-a-blown-wing-trick-part-of-ferrari-advantage
I saw that. I think it's a deliberate misdirect.

2018-07-27 10:32:49 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137625/is-a-blown-wing-trick-part-of-ferrari-advantage
I saw that. I think it's a deliberate misdirect.
There's a sudden speed increase on staights. If they are blowing the
wing to cause that, it would mean they are moving something, which
should be illegal.
Edmund
2018-07-27 10:47:48 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137625/is-a-blown-wing-trick-part-of-ferrari-advantage
I saw that. I think it's a deliberate misdirect.
There's a sudden speed increase on staights. If they are blowing the
wing to cause that, it would mean they are moving something, which
should be illegal.
How about moving the air flow only?

Do you know that Sauber and Haas had the upgraded engine *before* Ferrari put it in their own cars?
~misfit~
2018-07-28 05:10:14 UTC
[...]
Shaun.
Do you know that Sauber and Haas had the upgraded engine *before*
Ferrari put it in their own cars?
"Engine"? I'm not talking about 'engines', I'm talking about the ES (Energy
Store) and CE (Control Electronics) and both customer teams grabbed their
second (and last) of those as soon as they dual battery system was cleared
by the FIA and Ferrari could supply them. Of course the works team have
fitted the latest version of those cheating parts to their own cars too.

Why would Frrari want to fit the third (and last for the year) ICE to their
cars when it's not even halfway through the season and they've had the trick
ES / CE all season anyway? They don't need a new spec ICE yet as there's
lots of life left in the units they're using due to the MGU-K doing extra
work. They *are* on their second [and last] MGU-Ks for both cars though,
they're likely wearing extra-fast...

The twin battery energy store they've been running since 2014?
~misfit~
2018-07-31 00:05:34 UTC
[...]
No, not the exact same one, they've obviously been improving it
year-on-year. However now that the FIA have 'examined' it and given them the
green light until 2019 (when they have to change it - telling in itself)
they're able to fully unleash its potential and send it out to customer
teams. Previous to that they were careful to hide it.

2018-07-27 07:47:17 UTC
[...]
Well I still don't understand what is illegal but in any way this
is another fine example how those silly regulations made by elderly
old fashioned guys are working out.
Even Bernie -after he finally has retired - understands how silly and
counter productive those silly regulations are.
They can burn 110kg secret fuel right? So let the teams do whatever they
want with it and develop the best and fastest PU with it.
The better they use "wasted" energy the better.
If they really want all teams PU's to be the same, by all means go
watch the Renault Clio races.

Edmund
CS
2018-07-31 07:58:43 UTC
These ES batteries are very temperature sensitive when charging from the regeneration systems. A well known Formula E issue.
So running 2 batteries in parallel could allow load sharing and keep one battery at a lower temp to accept higher regeneration energy when required - eg. qualifying and overtaking. Of course use the capability too much and both batteries temps will rise, negating the advantage.