OTish - Facebook picture of disintegrated bottom end
Add Reply
a425couple
2020-07-31 18:31:39 UTC
OTish - Facebook picture of disintegrated bottom end
I do not think I have ever seen one so totally
broken apart.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10223275646945482&set=a.1260849887387&type=3&theater
a425couple
2020-07-31 18:36:31 UTC
Post by a425couple
OTish - Facebook picture of disintegrated bottom end
I do not think I have ever seen one so totally
broken apart.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10223275646945482&set=a.1260849887387&type=3&theater
For what ever reason, I'm reminded of my first
sports racer (after I'd raced a formula car).
It lost power, when 1/2 a piston slid forward
out from under the passenger seat, I KNEW this
was not going to be a simple, quick, cheap,
or easy fix.
t***@gmail.com
2020-08-01 00:11:07 UTC
OTish
ish? hand in your fucking man card
fnot
Can someone explain what happened here ? (In slo-mo)
t***@gmail.com
2020-08-01 05:35:22 UTC
no. look after yourself
a425couple
2020-08-01 16:20:04 UTC
Post by fnot
Post by a425couple
OTish - Facebook picture of disintegrated bottom end
I do not think I have ever seen one so totally
broken apart.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10223275646945482&set=a.1260849887387&type=3&theater
Can someone explain what happened here ? (In slo-mo)
I like the guy who explains it's an electrical fault,
because he sees a connecting rod broke off the starter motor.

Quite accurate = That is the most catastrophic engine failure
I’ve ever seen

My best offhand guess, too much combustion pressure,
in the cylinder, pressing on the piston, down through
the connecting rod, caused a break, and at guess 7,000
RPM, everything else, all over, goes to shit real quickly.
Connecting rods break, flail around, shattering entire
bottom of block, bust out all supports holding the
crank shaft in place. So bottom of block shattered,
falls off, crank shaft (perhaps still having parts
of connecting rods attached) departs.

I enjoy the random mechanical perversity, one connecting
rod (implying one piston still in proper place) sits
looking like it was neatly unbolted, still ready to do
it's job.

For many years, out of morbid masochistic voyeurism,
I kept around one shattered block. That one was
created by a rod bolt failure. I think in my
move about 10 years ago, I gave into common sense
and got rid of the bad memento. I've still got
a little collection of bad twisted connecting rods.
keithr0
2020-08-02 06:57:58 UTC
Post by a425couple
OTish - Facebook picture of disintegrated bottom end
I do not think I have ever seen one so totally
broken apart.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10223275646945482&set=a.1260849887387&type=3&theater
Big things happen in Australia :)

Not quite on the same scale but a fellow apprentice had a 1930s straight
8 Hudson Terraplane. Driving along there was a big bang from up front
and a serious lack of power. Looking back there was a big puddle of oil
with various metallic bits in it. Best as we could work out, a conrod
broke, the piston came out of the cylinder, the remains of the conrod
tried to punch it back up the cylinder sideways at which point the crank
said "Enough" and it or parts of it exited through the sump. We pushed
the wreck into the scrap yard, pity, it would probably be worth some
serious coin these days.