2018 Hungarian GP
2018-07-27 07:56:21 UTC
20180725

HUNGRY PREVIEW

G'day All,
As many here enter Mark's comp they must go through a race preview process, perhaps some would care to share their thoughts?

I wrote this the other day and thought I'd finish it and post yesterday but I'm too crook so ...
Here is my unfinished preview.
'18 HUNGRY (-8)
Laps: 70
Tyres: US, S, M, note no SS.*
Pit Time:
Stops: 1
Pole '17: 1:16.276 SV
FLap '17: 1:20.182 FA
Lap Rec (race): 1:19.071 MS '04
Weather: Fine, sunny, hot, 33'ish.
*Note: some media outlets have mistakenly said SS instead of US.

One of my favourite races, always interesting and never boring. Great city, lovely people, fond memories.

Preamble top 3. Ferrari are a jump ahead in both engine and chassis development and/but on a low* after Germany. Merc are struggling and will be keen to fight back in the development stakes and they're coming in off a lucky* win. This track is a RedBull stomping ground and engine is less of a factor.

Preamble main event. Renault and ForceIndia (more). Haas and Sauber (more).

Car. Agile, needs good transition phase and balance so the driver can stay in harmony with the car throughout each long series of corners. Here you can never talk about one corner it's always a series of corners. The cars will run dirty. High downforce. Medium Braking. Tyre wear is low. Qually important. If used badly tyres may not last the full lap. Driver concentration.

Tyres. Note the two teams that have been the most aggressive with tyre selection ... hmmmm. Ferrari, Renault, clean air?, etc. As usual poor old Kimi and Valtteri have been saddled with doing the harder compound runs in free practice.

Conclusion. So basically a fight between the Scarlet and the Bovid with Merc annoying the subordinate. I would've gone as far as suggesting that RedBull may have taken pole but the current upgraded Ferrari chassis/engine will probably scupper that.

That Ferrari chassis is pretty damned good, i wonder if perhaps it is a match for the RedBull??? We'll find out (well, get a clearer notion).

Merc may well struggle with the US tyre, they'll be hoping for some cloud cover.

*Determination, inspiration and circumspection often spring from adversity.
**I believe 'you make your own luck'.

It would be nice if we get a decent discussion, usual suspects aside.

beers,
2018-07-27 08:23:23 UTC
G'day,
Are there any Hungry (sic) folk here who can write the phonic pronunciation of "Magyar Nagydij"?

Thanks,
2018-07-27 08:52:55 UTC
https://forvo.com/word/magyar_nagyd%C3%ADj/#hu
2018-07-27 08:52:55 UTC
20180725
HUNGRY PREVIEW
G'day All,
As many here enter Mark's comp they must go through a race preview
process, perhaps some would care to share their thoughts?
I usually look at the leading drivers’ star signs, consult Old Moore’s
Almanac and check what quarter the moon is in before making my selection.
On this occasion I have been a bit more scientific and plumped for Hamilton
on the basis that he usually seems to go well at this rather technical
circuit where rhythm is all important.
One should never discount the rhythm method. Isn't LH a left footer ?
Sir Tim
2018-07-27 18:36:17 UTC
20180725
HUNGRY PREVIEW
G'day All,
As many here enter Mark's comp they must go through a race preview
process, perhaps some would care to share their thoughts?
I usually look at the leading drivers’ star signs, consult Old Moore’s
Almanac and check what quarter the moon is in before making my selection.
On this occasion I have been a bit more scientific and plumped for Hamilton
on the basis that he usually seems to go well at this rather technical
circuit where rhythm is all important.
One should never discount the rhythm method. Isn't LH a left footer ?
Aren’t they all left-footers these days? Or is it hand jobs?
Alister
2018-07-27 13:09:15 UTC
[...]
build
NA I simply go with my personal Bias adjusted a bit for recent results
(hence normally Ham on pole & p1)
Hungary is slightly different as the winner of Hungary is never WDC (not
since MSC isn 2004 anyway)
so I want Vet to win this one :-)
The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep. -W.C. Fields
John
2018-07-27 19:45:18 UTC
The track is so dull it seems to agro the drivers into being very aggressive.
build
2018-07-28 14:03:10 UTC
QUALLY
I love grand prix racing. Great stuff.

Well done Mr Hartley too.
Mark Jackson
2018-07-28 18:47:50 UTC
QUALLY
I love grand prix racing. Great stuff.
Well done Mr Hartley too.
And Mr. Gasly as well.

No rain predicted for tomorrow, so free choice of tires at the front.
Interesting strategic question.
No dinner party is a success without at least one physicist.
- Joseph Jones
John
2018-07-28 23:18:30 UTC
Soft followed by ultras would seem to be the ticket for a one stop. If it goes back to being extra hot that could change things.
build
2018-07-29 00:59:38 UTC
Post by John
Soft followed by ultras would seem to be the ticket for a one stop. If it goes back to being extra hot that could change things.
It will be hot what will that change?

Will it change your S-US one stop?

2018-07-29 01:16:20 UTC
Post by John
Soft followed by ultras would seem to be the ticket for a one stop.
If it goes back to being extra hot that could change things.
The only problem with starting on the soft is you're giving away heaps on
the start to those on ultras and that's never a good thing on a track that's
not the best for passing.

2018-07-29 01:24:08 UTC
Post by John
Soft followed by ultras would seem to be the ticket for a one stop.
If it goes back to being extra hot that could change things.
The only problem with starting on the soft is you're giving away heaps on
the start to those on ultras and that's never a good thing on a track that's
not the best for passing.
So what will they do?
And why?
build
2018-07-29 00:56:07 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by build
QUALLY
I love grand prix racing. Great stuff.
Well done Mr Hartley too.
And Mr. Gasly as well.
Most certainly, but Brendon needs some sunshine, he got some yesterday in the rain. Also I'm an ANZAC.
Post by Mark Jackson
No rain predicted for tomorrow, so free choice of tires at the front.
Interesting strategic question.
What do you reckon they'll do?
Is there any 'outside of the square' options?
Post by Mark Jackson
Mark Jackson
I've gotta hand it to Merc they ticked every box in qually from setup all the way through strategy. An almost perfect execution when they were behind the eight ball the previous day. Sure they "got lucky" but you know what they say about luck and in this case it showed.

beers,
build
2018-07-29 15:14:05 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Mark Jackson
I've gotta hand it to Merc they ticked every box in qually from setup all the way through strategy. An almost perfect execution when they were behind the eight ball the previous day. Sure they "got lucky" but you know what they say about luck and in this case it showed.
beers,
I'll be interested to hear why Ferrari did not stop Vettel when they had the gap. Not stopping him could have cost them a place and created a lot of hard work for Vettel.