Indycar St Petersburg
2018-03-19 19:27:38 UTC
I watched a highlight package today - a decent package, one hour long.

There were some stunning visuals of the street course. Indycar has a lot of cameras. 5 positions on each car, including a 360 degree camera on top of the roll hoop, and the very tip of the nose. The latter gave some great shots that conveyed the speed at which the cars travel and change direction. They also had helmet cams just above the visor on several drivers and even on some of the pit crew. The crew helmet cam and the 306 camera gave great shots of the pit stops.

They restart cars that have stalled. The crew in the safety car has gear to turn the motor back over. I wonder if this is possible with an F1 car with the ERS. It is a good thing because it keeps a car in the race (albeit down the field) and restarting the car and sending it on it's way can be quicker than getting a crane or marshalls to remove the car.

The reg changes have increased the underfloor downforce, but overall decreased the downforce. So the cars can follow each other more closely, but they slide a lot more. This introduces some random elements and throws a wildcard into the tyre management. A contrivance or an improvement? It made me think that this was more like F1 in the 70s - but that might be a rose tinted memory.

I believe F1 has the 360 degree cam on all cars this year.
D Munz
2018-03-19 20:19:30 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
I like the LED thing they have on the airbox too. It shows current position or pit-stop time.

2018-03-19 20:30:15 UTC
The LED panel is also used to signal that the car is stalled. Handy for marshals.