UK TV audience for British GP
Brian Lawrence
2019-07-15 13:39:26 UTC
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.

Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Geoff May
2019-07-15 18:02:58 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Hi Brian,

Any figures for the number of people watching the C4 highlights compared
to Sky live F1?

Cheers

Geoff
Brian Lawrence
2019-07-15 20:37:49 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Hi Brian,
Any figures for the number of people watching the C4 highlights compared
to Sky live F1?
Nothing definite or recent. Some data from last year put Sky F1 viewers
around 500k, with C4 highlights around 2m.
Brian Lawrence
2019-07-15 21:14:42 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
Post by Geoff May
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Hi Brian,
Any figures for the number of people watching the C4 highlights
compared to Sky live F1?
Nothing definite or recent. Some data from last year put Sky F1 viewers
around 500k, with C4 highlights around 2m.
Italian GP 2018, shown live on Sky, recorded highlights on C4.

C4 @18:45 ranked 2nd on channel, 2.65m (includes +1)

Sky @14:05 0.9m

C4's Qualifying highlights, Sat @17:00 was 1.18m, Sky's live
coverage is not known (from BARB), but must have been less than
0.5m (30th ranked program on other channels - excluding C1-5).

The British GP last season was shown live on C4.

It was the top program on C4 that week with 2.87m, live Qually was
10th program, 1.19m.

Sky wasn't in top 30 'other' channels, #30 was 0.55m

It was 'middle Sunday' at Wimbledon when there is usually no play.
It was also the FIFA World Cup in Russia, but there were no matches
on Sunday (England beat Sweden in the QF on Saturday, with 17.4m
watching on BBC 1).
Geoff May
2019-07-16 17:33:57 UTC
[snipped].
Makes one wonder why C4 and/or one of the others don't re-instate the
"free" TV option again. Advertisers must be really happy with these
figures ;-)

Thanks

Geoff.
Bigbird
2019-07-16 17:49:31 UTC
Post by Geoff May
[snipped].
Makes one wonder why C4 and/or one of the others don't re-instate the
"free" TV option again. Advertisers must be really happy with these
figures ;-)
What option? Sky Sports holds exclusive rights to all races but one,
AIUI.
--
Trump fact check:
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
Geoff May
2019-07-17 17:37:50 UTC
Post by Geoff May
[snipped].
Makes one wonder why C4 and/or one of the others don't re-instate the
"free" TV option again. Advertisers must be really happy with these
figures ;-)
What option? Sky Sports holds exclusive rights to all races but one,
AIUI.
Yes, that is correct. But, if I was advertising on an F1 channel, where
ever that was and was seeing the viewing figures I snipped from Brian's
post, I would be somewhat unimpressed.

Cheers

Geoff
Bigbird
2019-07-17 19:29:44 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Post by Bigbird
Post by Geoff May
[snipped].
Makes one wonder why C4 and/or one of the others don't re-instate
the "free" TV option again. Advertisers must be really happy with
these figures ;-)
What option? Sky Sports holds exclusive rights to all races but one,
AIUI.
Yes, that is correct. But, if I was advertising on an F1 channel,
where ever that was and was seeing the viewing figures I snipped from
Brian's post, I would be somewhat unimpressed.
Of course and it is that dilemma which has forced Sky into some sharing
of those rights. If the restriction of access that Sky is capable of
were enforced they would diminish the attraction of the sport as a
whole. To maintain an interest in the sport requires a bigger audience
than they can provide.
Mower Man
2019-07-15 21:31:06 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Wonder what the global figures for the Tour de France were?

In 2018 3.5 BILLION people tuned in over the three weeks.

A lot.

---
2019-07-16 08:52:48 UTC
Post by Mower Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Wonder what the global figures for the Tour de France were?
In 2018 3.5 BILLION people tuned in over the three weeks.
No, they really didn't.
Post by Mower Man
A lot.
Yes, I can believe that. :)
Mower Man
2019-07-17 00:57:19 UTC
Post by Mower Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Wonder what the global figures for the Tour de France were?
In 2018 3.5 BILLION people tuned in over the three weeks.
No, they really didn't.
Post by Mower Man
A lot.acing
Yes, I can believe that. :)
Not a cycling fan then? Odd.

It's a more complicated activity than racing cars. And less in some ways.

I'm a keen observer of both in all forms, from drag racing to 24 hours
races and from 4 lap track bike sprints on a velodrome to 3,600 km Grand
Tours.

And 3.5 billion did watch the 2018 TDF. It's the third most watched
event after the Footie World Thingy(which for me is about as interesting
as checking a cook chill meal in the microwave, as is cricket) and
secondly the Olympics. Which I'll admit to watching the cycling bit of -
particularly the ITT or the road race.

---
2019-07-17 06:22:08 UTC
Post by Mower Man
Post by Bigbird
Post by Mower Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Wonder what the global figures for the Tour de France were?
In 2018 3.5 BILLION people tuned in over the three weeks.
No, they really didn't.
Post by Mower Man
A lot.acing
Yes, I can believe that. :)
Not a cycling fan then? Odd.
It's really not "odd" not to be a great fan of any particular sport.

However what I was alluding to was that half the world population do
not watch the TDF... even for just a few minutes because it over ran.

Not a great fan but that has little or nothing to do with my comment
and is a bit of a non sequitur on your part. Some years I have got
quite caught up in it and watched a few hours. This year not so much
but I do watch a few mins here and there and would, in the way the
numbers are done, account for several of those "people" you claim. You
would no doubt account for dozens if not many more depending on how the
numbers are done. Something those publishing then are apparently
reluctant to reveal. Multiple counting of fractional views ( as little
a five minutes) extrapolated in an undefined manner. Without knowing
the methodology such numbers are quite meaningless.

For example maybe 3.5% of people in France watch the end of each stage
live, those same people may be extrapolated to a number greater than
the entire population of the country depending upon the methodology.

Or to put it in F! numbers the 3.5m quoted as watching the GB GP would
extrapolate to more than the population of Britain watching F1 each
year.
Post by Mower Man
It's a more complicated activity than racing cars. And less in some ways.
I'm a keen observer of both in all forms, from drag racing to 24
hours races and from 4 lap track bike sprints on a velodrome to 3,600
km Grand Tours.
And 3.5 billion did watch the 2018 TDF.
:) "people"
Post by Mower Man
It's the third most watched
event after the Footie World Thingy(which for me is about as
interesting as checking a cook chill meal in the microwave, as is
cricket)
Odd! :)
build
2019-07-17 08:39:51 UTC
Post by Mower Man
Post by Bigbird
Post by Mower Man
and secondly the Olympics. Which I'll admit to watching the
cycling bit of - particularly the ITT or the road race.
--
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
Last week’s total: 31 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
Like your sig the numbers don't make much sense. I like the term "individual views" that is often used by F1, they don't often define what "individual" refers to.

2019-07-17 13:35:33 UTC
The grand total as of Sunday: 4,913 false claims
Last week’s total: 31 false claims
That’s the 75th-worst week of his presidency out of 116 weeks so far.
Like your sig the numbers don't make much sense.
Should be right up your street then. :)

Let me help you there

You're welcome
Dan the Man
2019-07-16 12:03:08 UTC
Here in the States, ESPN's F1 coverage was an afterthought - NO coverage of qually at all. Wimbledon seemed to be their main focus, this past week.
Mark Jackson
2019-07-16 12:10:46 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Here in the States, ESPN's F1 coverage was an afterthought - NO
coverage of qually at all.
Yes there was - 8:55AM EDT on ESPNEWS (ESPNW). I watched part of it
live, then had to leave to work in the community garden (gardening
leave?) and caught the rest on the DVR.
Yes, we should strive toward a market that’s rigged
in the least expensive, most transparent, most
efficient, most stable way possible. - Justin Fox
Dan the Man
Looks like my hulu DVR missed it. Thanks.
a425couple
2019-07-16 23:56:41 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Here in the States, ESPN's F1 coverage was an afterthought - NO coverage of qually at all. Wimbledon seemed to be their main focus, this past week.
Huh?
Well, I'm in the USA, and every practice, and the
quallifying, and the race were shown on various
channels of ESPN and recorded.
I have Dish.
The race was ESPN2, The qual was ESNWS,
practices were ESPN2 or ESPNU.
The French GP however, was on ESPN itself.
Heron
2019-07-17 00:48:03 UTC
Post by Dan the Man
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Here in the States, ESPN's F1 coverage was an afterthought - NO coverage of qually at all. Wimbledon seemed to be their main focus, this past week.
In the future, go here:
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/26082657/espn-f1-tv-broadcast-schedule-2019
Brian Lawrence
2019-07-17 11:03:17 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
was 3.7m - combined total for Channel 4 & Sky.
Wimbledon (BBC1) peaked at 9.6m, Cricket WCup at 8.3m, also a
combined total for C4 & Sky. Sky reported a WC peak of 3.5m.
Recently found this website which has quite a lot of detail.

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/