Video alert - virtual Australian GP - Sky Sports F1 tonight @ 8pm
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2020-04-05 09:53:57 UTC
if you aren't too busy watching the Queen;

Video alert - virtual Australian GP - Sky Sports F1 tonight (Sunday 5/4/2020) at 8pm.
Vasco Costa
2020-04-05 23:08:19 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
if you aren't too busy watching the Queen;
Video alert - virtual Australian GP - Sky Sports F1 tonight (Sunday 5/4/2020) at 8pm.
It was definitely a much better show than the first one. The drivers
admittedly practised more and it showed on track, with less clumsy
incidents. Commanding win for Leclerc, who openly revealed he had been
practising hard all week. Nice podium for Russell on a Williams! Button
did a solid race, especially considering his lack of virtual experience.

Practice really is everything in sim racing. The Indycar races on
iRacing with the real drivers have been showing this, since they all
practise and even get coaching from regular sim racers, providing in my
opinion the best esport show with real drivers. It also helps that they
use a better platform than F1 2019, nevertheless F1 got a bit closer to
their level this weekend.
--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsports, science,
technology, travelling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.

Gopher hole: gopher://gopher.gluon.me/
build
2020-04-06 02:45:51 UTC
I'm not much of a geek but I am enthusiastic about TV, I watch it 2 or 3 times a week to catch-up on the news.
D Munz
2020-04-06 15:24:41 UTC
Post by Vasco Costa
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
Are these on Youtube? Or posted somewhere else? They are not on F1TV.

TIA
DLM
CS
2020-04-06 21:18:26 UTC
On YouTube - search for esports.
Pole time yesterday was about 0.7 sec quicker than LH last.
Bruce Hoult
2020-04-08 10:14:41 UTC
Post by D Munz
Post by Vasco Costa
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]

Yes, great drive by rookie Charles Leclerc, and Russel showed what he can do in equal machinary. Nice extended fight between Button and Albon at one point.

The graphics in this sim are so good I almost forget it's a sim sometimes. But the physics of the tyre/track interaction are clearly quite a bit off to have so many good drivers spinning. It looks as if the tyres let go a lot more abruptly than real ones. Button did manage to catch one near spin after three or four tank-slappers.
Vasco Costa
2020-04-08 13:25:23 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by D Munz
http://youtu.be/y67x0Hu8ssU
Yes, great drive by rookie Charles Leclerc, and Russel showed what he can do in equal machinary. Nice extended fight between Button and Albon at one point.
The graphics in this sim are so good I almost forget it's a sim sometimes. But the physics of the tyre/track interaction are clearly quite a bit off to have so many good drivers spinning. It looks as if the tyres let go a lot more abruptly than real ones. Button did manage to catch one near spin after three or four tank-slappers.
Yes, that's the hard bit about nailing the tyre model. The loss of grip
at the very edge, when the slip angle falls out of the peak grip range
by tiny margins. In reality, this transition to less grip is gradual,
with gradients that you can feel and act (by counter steering or
lifting) in time to avoid losing the car. Even among the ones considered
proper sims this is very hard. In titles like F1 2019 there's not a real
tyre model that is simulated, instead everything is more like emulated
and scripted, meaning you cannot do much to correct slides, instead
you're a bit of a passenger as you get a random unrecoverable spin most
of the times.

I suggest watching the Indycar esport races on iRacing with almost all
the real drivers and any event which uses rFactor 2. These are much more
realistic from a physics perspective.

Bruce Hoult
2020-04-08 22:14:53 UTC
Post by Vasco Costa
Post by Bruce Hoult
Post by D Munz
Post by Vasco Costa
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
They're sliding the Brabham BT448s pretty nicely in rFactor

Vasco Costa
2020-04-09 13:30:35 UTC
Post by Bruce Hoult
They're sliding the Brabham BT448s pretty nicely in rFactor
http://youtu.be/Z3iN8u81ic0
Yes, I love driving that Brabham in rFactor 2. Relatively easy to drive,
very very hard to master, like all good cars.

CS
2020-04-12 21:11:32 UTC
Great to watch and CL's win. I had F1 99 and have now bought F1 2019 and a new Thrustmaster T150 RS Pro wheel and pedals. A huge improvement over my 1999 gear - the pedals have resistance instead of just sinking.
I wonder what rig CL bought??
But I read that Asseto Corsa has better simulation, particularly tyre wear and degradation.
Vasco Costa
2020-04-13 13:18:27 UTC
Post by CS
Great to watch and CL's win. I had F1 99 and have now bought F1 2019 and a new Thrustmaster T150 RS Pro wheel and pedals. A huge improvement over my 1999 gear - the pedals have resistance instead of just sinking.
I wonder what rig CL bought??
But I read that Asseto Corsa has better simulation, particularly tyre wear and degradation.
First of all, you bought a good wheel. Among the usually recommended
ones for an entry level with the best value for the money, these models
are always included:

- Logitech G29/G920
- Thrustmaster T300 RS (GT Edition)
- Thrustmaster T150 RS Pro

Those are unanimously a common denominator. But of course, there are
slightly better options for a little bit more money and then there's
anything between 500 and 5000 euros/pounds/dollars.

A very common upgrade route is to use Fanatec gear, with a dedicated
direct drive wheelbase, instead of the belts and gears that are used on
the cheaper ones. These also allow you to easily interchange wheels and
often feature a brake pedal with a load cell for much more precise
braking. If I'm not mistaken CL is using Fanatec gear.

As for the games vs sims, the current F1 games from codemasters are
considered games/arcade and not so much a sim. They take shortcuts and
instead of fully simulating the physics and tyre model they script the
behaviours, emulating reality more than simulating it internally.

The hardcore sims are rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa
Competizione, iRacing, Automobilista, Automobilista 2, RaceRoom and to a
lesser extent, Project Cars 2.

Among those all, no one is perfect, but definitely orders of magnitude
closer to real physics and tyres than F1 2019. Still none is perfect and
it's a common practice to use several sims, enjoying the highlights of
each. That being said, Assetto Corsa is considered perhaps the most
popular all around offer. It's not perfect in a single area, but on
average it is very strong and a finished well polished product. It's
also very user friendly allowing people to just install it, click a
couple of buttons and start racing, whereas for instance rFactor 2 is a
bit more realistic but not so user friendly and buggier. I totally
recommend you Assetto Corsa.

CS
2020-04-21 10:38:40 UTC
Vasco Costa -

I was thinking of adding a DIY load cell mod - say 20kg - to my T3PA pedals. Seems quite simple and makes quite a difference.
Wondered what your view was??
Thanks.
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-23 05:10:33 UTC
Thanks.
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-23 05:14:58 UTC
Post by CS
Vasco Costa -
I was thinking of adding a DIY load cell mod - say 20kg - to my T3PA pedals. Seems quite simple and makes quite a difference.
Wondered what your view was??
Thanks.
VC went 1/2 diy load. 17 kg.
yup those t3pa pedals are sweet
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-23 05:24:20 UTC
Post by CS
Wondered what your view was??
Thanks.
VC likes to stay at the back of the pack.
No trading paint for him
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-23 05:31:03 UTC
Thanks.
t***@gmail.com
ya ask his advice if you want to be in last place
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-23 05:58:09 UTC
Post by CS
Vasco Costa -
I was thinking of adding a DIY load cell mod - say 20kg - to my T3PA pedals. Seems quite simple and makes quite a difference.
Wondered what your view was??
Thanks.
VC does not like passing.
Just stay in your grid position
t***@gmail.com
VC has settings if you want to be slow
Vasco Costa
2020-05-02 09:35:54 UTC
Post by CS
Vasco Costa -
I was thinking of adding a DIY load cell mod - say 20kg - to my T3PA pedals. Seems quite simple and makes quite a difference.
Wondered what your view was??
Thanks.
Sorry about the late reply. It's been a busy week.

Yes, it's relatively easy to implement and it makes a difference. It is
easier and more natural to our brain to modulate brake force by pressure
instead of pedal travel. I would say that's not a priority when someone
starts sim racing, but after he gets the hang of it, precise braking
makes all the difference and often becomes the main differentiator.

t***@gmail.com
I thought pride events would have been cancelled?
t***@gmail.com
2020-05-03 08:12:11 UTC
lol
t***@gmail.com
2020-05-03 08:54:05 UTC
Post by Vasco Costa
Sorry about the late reply. It's been a busy week.
did you break a finger nail?
you pussy fuck fart
t***@gmail.com
2020-05-03 09:24:32 UTC
Post by Vasco Costa
Sorry about the late reply. It's been a busy week.
fuck you and your schedule