Honda bending rules?
Brian Lawrence
2019-06-22 03:02:29 UTC
"Honda has made the tactical decision to break the seal on Daniil
Kvyat’s new MGU-H and turbocharger at the French Grand Prix in a bid to
minimise future grid penalties."

<https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-kvyat-mgu-turbocharger-seal/4479269/>
Alan Baker
2019-06-22 18:18:40 UTC
Post by Brian Lawrence
"Honda has made the tactical decision to break the seal on Daniil
Kvyat’s new MGU-H and turbocharger at the French Grand Prix in a bid to
minimise future grid penalties."
<https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-kvyat-mgu-turbocharger-seal/4479269/>
Have the stewards/officials given them a penalty?

No.

Then by the reasoning of all here, there is nothing to discuss.

:-)
larkim
2019-06-23 05:18:21 UTC
There’s plenty to discuss, just as with the Vettel penalty.

The bit to discuss is “do we think that the rules of the sport are sound?”

The bit less worthy of discussion is “do we have any good reason to dispute the way that the stewards or the FIA implement the rules as written?”

My problem with this seal breaking is that I cna’t get my head around it and how the “bending” actually works!
Alan Baker
2019-06-23 05:25:23 UTC
There’s plenty to discuss, just as with the Vettel penalty.
Not according to many who have posted.
Post by larkim
The bit to discuss is “do we think that the rules of the sport are sound?”
Nope. No one wanted to discuss that about the Vettel penalty.
Post by larkim
The bit less worthy of discussion is “do we have any good reason to
dispute the way that the stewards or the FIA implement the rules as
written?”
Your opinion.
Brian Lawrence
2019-06-23 07:46:52 UTC
There’s plenty to discuss, just as with the Vettel penalty.
The bit to discuss is “do we think that the rules of the sport are sound?”
The bit less worthy of discussion is “do we have any good reason to dispute the way that the stewards or the FIA implement the rules as written?”
My problem with this seal breaking is that I cna’t get my head around it and how the “bending” actually works!
Yeah I've read the article several times and checked the regs. and am
still confused.

However, if I understand it correctly -

KVY's car had a new MGU-H and TC fitted before FP1 (other new elements
were also fitted at that time).

Those other elements incurred penalties so that Kvyat has to start from
the back of the grid.

After FP2 Honda broke the seals on the -K and the TC. According to the
FIA regs. a broken seal means that the element can no longer be used and
a new or used element must be installed to replace it. The replacement
element will then have new seals applied.

So Honda then notionally 'removed' both elements and 'reinstalled' them
- they didn't actually make any physical change. With new seals applied
those two elements are now officially 'new', and as such both exceed the
limit for the season and incur further grid penalties, but he's already
starting from the back so they have no effect.

Now in future if Kvyat has a new -K or a new TC installed it will only
incur a 5-place penalty, as it will not be the first time that element
exceeded the season limit. So, unless they change both at the same event
they can limit the penalty to 5-places instead of 10 at two future
events, which would clearly be useful.

Not illegal, simply exploiting the rules. I wonder if Renault will take
note?