When was "Salut Gilles" painted onto the Montreal circuit grid?
Add Reply
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-05-11 16:40:05 UTC
I can't find the answer on Google - when was "Salut Gilles" painted onto pole position at the Montreal circuit grid?

it doesn't seem to be there during the 1982 race in june just after gilles villeneuve died in may (and pole position was on the other side then too).
Brian Lawrence
2019-05-11 17:53:49 UTC
Post by m***@yahoo.co.uk
I can't find the answer on Google - when was "Salut Gilles" painted onto pole position at the Montreal circuit grid?
it doesn't seem to be there during the 1982 race in june just after gilles villeneuve died in may (and pole position was on the other side then too).
Also worth noting that the grid was in a different part of the circuit
from 1979-86 - just after the hairpin. After the hiatus in 1987 the
circuit was modified, with the start/finish moved to it's current
location for 1988. Pole moved to the LHS for 1989.

"When F1® arrived in Montréal for the 1982 Canadian Grand Prix just one
month later, the circuit had already been named in his honor, complete
with “Salut Gilles” written in the tarmac on the start-finish line."

<https://social.f1experiences.com/canadian-grand-prix-fast-facts>
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2019-05-11 20:43:52 UTC
so pironi was sitting right behind it when he stalled and paletti was killed by running into the back of him - the irony.