The 2018 Italian GP was exciting!
a425couple
2018-09-02 15:09:08 UTC
The 2018 Italian GP was exciting!
Lots of action.
Depending on your preferences, you can watch it
and cheer. Or watch it and scream and complain.

Or, just observe the show.
Sir Tim
Yep, it was a terrific race (no spoilers).
John
2018-09-02 20:39:48 UTC
Specially if you like watching Merc play bumper cars.
larkim
2018-09-02 21:00:20 UTC
Thank god we’ve got DRS otherwise the result would have been very different - and arguably not justified. In the end, the right driver won today I think, and whilst I’m not his biggest fan, I think he showed some exceptional ability today.
News
2018-09-02 21:19:43 UTC
Not to mention in qually.
larkim
2018-09-02 21:30:50 UTC
Indeed. Love him, hate him, indifferent. But he is a special talent.
Alan Baker
2018-09-03 00:48:32 UTC
Thank god we’ve got DRS otherwise the result would have been very different - and arguably not justified. In the end, the right driver won today I think, and whilst I’m not his biggest fan, I think he showed some exceptional ability today.
Ummmm...

If Bottas isn't out there playing blocker and both slowing up Raikkonen
and causing Kimi to burn up his tires...

...don't you think the result might have been quite different?
geoff
2018-09-03 02:08:05 UTC
Thank god we’ve got DRS otherwise the result would have been very
different - and arguably not justified.  In the end, the right driver
won today I think, and whilst I’m not his biggest fan, I think he
showed some exceptional ability today.
Ummmm...
If Bottas isn't out there playing blocker and both slowing up Raikkonen
and causing Kimi to burn up his tires...
...don't you think the result might have been quite different?
Possibly, but possibly not. Kimi's tyres were a bit rooted before that
stage.

Would have been interesting !

2018-09-03 07:27:43 UTC
Thank god we’ve got DRS otherwise the result would have been very
different - and arguably not justified.  In the end, the right driver
won today I think, and whilst I’m not his biggest fan, I think he
showed some exceptional ability today.
Ummmm...
If Bottas isn't out there playing blocker and both slowing up
Raikkonen and causing Kimi to burn up his tires...
...don't you think the result might have been quite different?
Possibly, but possibly not. Kimi's tyres were a bit rooted before that
stage.
But they suffered greatly in Bottas's turbulence...
Agreed.
build
2018-09-04 03:38:02 UTC
Thank god we’ve got DRS otherwise the result would have been very
different - and arguably not justified.  In the end, the right driver
won today I think, and whilst I’m not his biggest fan, I think he
showed some exceptional ability today.
Ummmm...
If Bottas isn't out there playing blocker and both slowing up
Raikkonen and causing Kimi to burn up his tires...
...don't you think the result might have been quite different?
Possibly, but possibly not. Kimi's tyres were a bit rooted before that
stage.
But they suffered greatly in Bottas's turbulence...
Hamilton suffered greatly in Kimi's turbulence. Very surprisingly and interestingly the Merc did not suffer their usual tyre deg, note Valtteri's stint on SS. Also the Merc appeared to be more difficult to follow closely.
Would have been interesting !
Agreed.
Alan Baker
2018-09-04 07:43:20 UTC
Thank god we’ve got DRS otherwise the result would have been
very different - and arguably not justified. In the end, the
right driver won today I think, and whilst I’m not his
biggest fan, I think he showed some exceptional ability
today.
Ummmm...
If Bottas isn't out there playing blocker and both slowing up
Raikkonen and causing Kimi to burn up his tires...
...don't you think the result might have been quite different?
Possibly, but possibly not. Kimi's tyres were a bit rooted before
that stage.
But they suffered greatly in Bottas's turbulence...
Hamilton suffered greatly in Kimi's turbulence.
Much less, because he was in clear air for all the laps that he was
catching up to the back of Raikkonen.
Post by build
Very surprisingly and
interestingly the Merc did not suffer their usual tyre deg, note
Valtteri's stint on SS. Also the Merc appeared to be more difficult
to follow closely.
But the bottom line is still that Raikkonen was held up by Bottas.
Would have been interesting !
Agreed.
larkim
2018-09-03 05:26:11 UTC
You never know. Ultimately the Merc was able to run longer and kinder on its tyres, and Hamilton may have been able to pull up to Raikkonen even without the assistance if Bottas for a few laps.

It looked to me that the Ferrari was superb on traction out of the slow corners but perhaps in the end that was their weakness as the cost of that grip was higher tyre wear and ultimately longevity.

In terms of points that Hamilton should have expected to be taking away from there, that race was an 20 point swing - I thought he’d be leaving Monza with a 10 point gap having finished second to Vettel, instead he’s got a 30 point gap. If my maths isn’t too wrong, that’s 5 second places and 2 wins would win Hamilton the championship, and that would have to be a reasonable bet even despite the current speed of the Ferrari in Vettel’s hands.
Bruce Hoult
2018-09-03 06:01:19 UTC
You never know. Ultimately the Merc was able to run longer and kinder on its tyres, and Hamilton may have been able to pull up to Raikkonen even without the assistance if Bottas for a few laps.
It looked to me that the Ferrari was superb on traction out of the slow corners but perhaps in the end that was their weakness as the cost of that grip was higher tyre wear and ultimately longevity.
In terms of points that Hamilton should have expected to be taking away from there, that race was an 20 point swing - I thought he’d be leaving Monza with a 10 point gap having finished second to Vettel, instead he’s got a 30 point gap. If my maths isn’t too wrong, that’s 5 second places and 2 wins would win Hamilton the championship, and that would have to be a reasonable bet even despite the current speed of the Ferrari in Vettel’s hands.
Yup, 30 points ahead with 7 races remaining. If Hamilton wins two races then he could get four 2nds and a 5th and be champion, assuming Vettel wins everything Hamiltion doesn't and is 2nd in the other two.

But of course a DNF or low finish by either driver can quickly change the picture completely.

Another good race by new team Force India, following up their 5-6 with a 6-7. So they're up to 7th already, and another result like the first two could see them breathing down the neck of McLaren.
CS
2018-09-02 21:45:28 UTC
Don't think it was Mercedes playing bumper cars. More like Ferrari and RB.
~misfit~
2018-09-03 03:59:03 UTC
Post by CS
Don't think it was Mercedes playing bumper cars. More like Ferrari and RB.
The 'angry drivers' - Vettel and Verstappen.

2018-09-02 22:00:04 UTC
Post by a425couple
The 2018 Italian GP was exciting!
Lots of action.
Depending on your preferences, you can watch it
and cheer.  Or watch it and scream and complain.
Or, just observe the show.
Who'd have thought it - Monza enthralling but Spa boring-as !