All is changed, changed utterly
2020-04-03 21:24:39 UTC
Famous words by W.B. Yeats, actually about the 1917 Easter Rising, but oh
how appropriate now! I am still having difficulty believing that we have
not all been projected into a science fiction novel.

I was tempted to mark this post “OT” but there seems little point in
sticking to strict netiquette at the moment. Because, despite the pleadings
of my younger relatives, I still refuse to join Facebook or other social
media I very much hope that our small band of brothers will remain in
contact here despite the lack of F1 subjects to discuss.

The lockdown in the UK continues. I needed to collect a prescription from
my local surgery today and found major precautions being taken: front door
locked, entry only with appointment. Prescriptions handed out through side
window by fully masked dispenser and only for a couple of hours a day.

During WW2 the enemy was actually *trying* to kill us, but at least we
could meet in the pub.
2020-04-03 21:27:27 UTC
Famous words by W.B. Yeats, actually about the 1917 Easter Rising
1916 of course, sorry.
Martin Harran
2020-04-03 21:52:21 UTC
Famous words by W.B. Yeats, actually about the 1917 Easter Rising
1916 of course, sorry.
Was just about to correct you and point out that you English guys
never get things quite right about the Irish :)
https://www.avg.com
Mark Jackson
2020-04-03 21:44:44 UTC
The lockdown in the UK continues. I needed to collect a prescription
front door locked, entry only with appointment. Prescriptions handed
out through side window by fully masked dispenser and only for a
couple of hours a day.
Perhaps this varies by location? There's an ex-rasf1 person I see on
Facebook who is a pharmacy manager in Cornwall; unless things have
changed in the last 48 hours they're still admitting customers to the
shop, while asking them to stay behind a line on the floor and providing
transparent shields on the counter to work around.
Why have citizens when you can have customers?
- Sebastien Hayakawa (Aaron Diaz)
~misfit~
2020-04-03 23:47:05 UTC
The lockdown in the UK continues. I needed to collect a prescription
front door locked, entry only with appointment. Prescriptions handed
out through side window by fully masked dispenser and only for a
couple of hours a day.
Perhaps this varies by location?  There's an ex-rasf1 person I see on
Facebook who is a pharmacy manager in Cornwall; unless things have
changed in the last 48 hours they're still admitting customers to the
shop, while asking them to stay behind a line on the floor and providing
transparent shields on the counter to work around.
My pharmacy here in NZ has a table (and barriers) set up just inside the door with a line taped to
the floor with "STAY BEHIND" written on it. A sign outside says do not enter until the previous
customer has left and to maintain social distancing.

There's a sign saying contactless payments preferred. The pharmacist, fully decked out in PPE scans
the script, leaves it on the table, backs off and asks you to come forward to pay and pick it up.

I habitually drop off my scrip a day or two before I need it, tell them what day it's due, then
call ahead on that day to let them know I'll be coming to pick it up and when so that hasn't
changed for me.

2020-04-04 19:08:34 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Sir Tim
The lockdown in the UK continues. I needed to collect a prescription
front door locked, entry only with appointment. Prescriptions handed
out through side window by fully masked dispenser and only for a
couple of hours a day.
Perhaps this varies by location? There's an ex-rasf1 person I see on
Facebook who is a pharmacy manager in Cornwall; unless things have
changed in the last 48 hours they're still admitting customers to the
shop, while asking them to stay behind a line on the floor and providing
transparent shields on the counter to work around.
I should point out that I am not talking about a chemist’s shop but our
local village medical practice, which has a pharmacy attached. We only have
one shop and that is a Spa grocery store.
2020-04-05 07:46:18 UTC
I should point out that I am not talking about a chemist’s shop
Sir Tim
A chemist's shop?
Wtf is going on in that shit hole cuntry?
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-03 22:19:03 UTC
despite the pleadings
of my younger relatives, I still refuse to join Facebook
Oh you sure told them,
you miserable senile prick.
Geoff May
2020-04-04 09:34:45 UTC
Famous words by W.B. Yeats, actually about the 1917 Easter Rising, but oh
how appropriate now! I am still having difficulty believing that we have
not all been projected into a science fiction novel.
I was tempted to mark this post “OT” but there seems little point in
sticking to strict netiquette at the moment. Because, despite the pleadings
of my younger relatives, I still refuse to join Facebook or other social
media I very much hope that our small band of brothers will remain in
contact here despite the lack of F1 subjects to discuss.
I was reluctant to join Facebook but I started using it to keep in
contact with family (they are spread all over the world). I have found
that I do enjoy FB as I've joined up with several groups of things I
enjoy but, more importantly, I have joined up on a local group for the
area where I live. That is very helpful for warning about road works,
lost pets and other specifically local issues.
Post by Sir Tim
The lockdown in the UK continues. I needed to collect a prescription from
my local surgery today and found major precautions being taken: front door
locked, entry only with appointment. Prescriptions handed out through side
window by fully masked dispenser and only for a couple of hours a day.
Ours isn't quite that bad but you do have to call to make an appointment.
Post by Sir Tim
During WW2 the enemy was actually *trying* to kill us, but at least we
could meet in the pub.
Cheers

Geoff
b***@topmail.co.nz
2020-04-05 02:53:25 UTC
Post by Geoff May
Ours isn't quite that bad but you do have to call to make an appointment.
My local pharmacy is testing everybody's temperature before they are allowed
in. Also asking anybody over 70 to stay away, and get home delivery.
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-05 07:36:34 UTC
Ya you add in the sheep fucking too, not good.
Sir Tim
2020-04-07 10:04:57 UTC
Post by Geoff May
I was reluctant to join Facebook but I started using it to keep in
contact with family (they are spread all over the world). I have found
that I do enjoy FB as I've joined up with several groups of things I
enjoy but, more importantly, I have joined up on a local group for the
area where I live. That is very helpful for warning about road works,
lost pets and other specifically local issues.
I’ve read that some people on Facebook and Twitter are gloating over the
fact that Boris Johnson has been moved into ICU. Hard to believe but, if
true, it makes me even more glad that I avoid social media (except rasf1 of
course :-))
Vasco Costa
2020-04-07 10:31:53 UTC
Post by Geoff May
I was reluctant to join Facebook but I started using it to keep in
contact with family (they are spread all over the world). I have found
that I do enjoy FB as I've joined up with several groups of things I
enjoy but, more importantly, I have joined up on a local group for the
area where I live. That is very helpful for warning about road works,
lost pets and other specifically local issues.
I’ve read that some people on Facebook and Twitter are gloating over the
fact that Boris Johnson has been moved into ICU. Hard to believe but, if
true, it makes me even more glad that I avoid social media (except rasf1 of
course :-))
Like you said yourself recently, Usenet with its narrower but higher
valued user base, creates an environment with great signal to noise
ratio, where discussions are generally more thoughtful.

This is one of the reasons, if not the main reason, why I got back after
so many years. That's also the reason why I never left IRC for instant
messaging. In theory, it seems pretty desirable to have a platform with
millions of users with similar interest that can almost instantly read
our posts and reply, but then you get overwhelmed by all the negative
aspects.

Another key advantage of smaller communities like this one, is that you
can hold a mental picture of its members. When you read someone's post,
you know the person and can easily put his words into context. This
alone avoids misunderstandings and aids discussion, compared to facing
inflammatory remarks from random users. It's also nice to have this
sense of family here, something almost impossible on any community that
grows past a certain number:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number
--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsports, science,
technology, travelling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.

Gopher hole: gopher://gopher.gluon.me/
Sir Tim
Wise words.
geoff
2020-04-07 22:00:06 UTC
Post by Geoff May
I was reluctant to join Facebook but I started using it to keep in
contact with family (they are spread all over the world). I have found
that I do enjoy FB as I've joined up with several groups of things I
enjoy but, more importantly, I have joined up on a local group for the
area where I live. That is very helpful for warning about road works,
lost pets and other specifically local issues.
I’ve read that some people on Facebook and Twitter are gloating over the
fact that Boris Johnson has been moved into ICU. Hard to believe but, if
true, it makes me even more glad that I avoid social media (except rasf1 of
course :-))
Just a pity that he hasn't been blowing his mate Donald recently.

2020-04-08 14:21:07 UTC
Why is it a pity?
t***@gmail.com
2020-04-08 20:44:43 UTC
Just a pity that he hasn't been blowing his mate Donald recently.
geoff
What's with you and homosexuality?